open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "We are bits of stellar matter that got cold by accident, bits of a star gone wrong." - Sir Arthur Eddington
- (Added by: Administrator)

any Edgar Rice Burroughs or Robert E Howard fans here?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

jedi timothy
Posted 2011-12-22 3:01 PM (#2833)
Subject: any Edgar Rice Burroughs or Robert E Howard fans here?

currently reading the john carter of mars series to be in time for the 100th anniversry of the book. I am so ready for the movie.

also just finished reading the Robert E Howard conan novels and I was wondering how many pepole liked the new conan movies compared to arnold's.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2011-12-22 3:30 PM (#2835 - in reply to #2833)
Subject: RE: any Edgar Rice Burroughs or Robert E Howard fans here?

Admin

jedi timothy - 2011-12-22 3:01 PM currently reading the john carter of mars series to be in time for the 100th anniversry of the book. I am so ready for the movie. also just finished reading the Robert E Howard conan novels and I was wondering how many pepole liked the new conan movies compared to arnold's.

Welcome to WWEnd, jedi timothy!

I'm a huge fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs.  I just finished Thuvia, Maid of Mars this morning.  I've been listening to the excellent Fantastic Worlds of Edgar Rice Burroughs podcast and I can't recommend it enough.  Check out my review of it in the blog, along with some other great podcasts.

I'm really excited about the John Carter movie too though I have to try and temper my enthusiasm for fear of a let down.  I like the look of the film based on the trailers in any case.  Fingers crossed on that one.

As for Conan, I've not read the original source material though I did read a bunch of the comics as a kid and I loved the Movies with Arnold in them.  Still haven't seen the new one though I understand it was a bit of a disappointment.  I've been waiting for it to show up on cable.  How does it compare for you?  I have a fondness for Arnold's movies that is going to be hard to overcome for Jasom Momoa but he was bad ass in Game of Thrones so I'm keeping an open mind.

jedi timothy
Posted 2011-12-22 3:45 PM (#2836 - in reply to #2833)

well I found ten books in the series on my nook currently book 11 john carter of mars which containes the giants of mars and the skeleton men of jupiter.

as for the best conan novels:

the coming of conan the cimmerian
the bloody crown of conan
the conquering sword of conan

the only problem I have with the up coming john carter movie is that dejah thoris is wearing to much clothing.
jedi timothy
Posted 2012-02-14 4:40 PM (#3036 - in reply to #2833)

we are only a month a way from john's 100th birthday there is a new anthology out called under the moons of mars on the nook color..
dustydigger
Posted 2012-05-29 6:05 AM (#3243 - in reply to #2833)
Subject: Re: any Edgar Rice Burroughs or Robert E Howard fans here?

Elite Veteran

Love the John Carter books.They were the first SF books I got out of the library when I got my adult library ticket aged 13 way back in 1961! lol.Never really fancied the Tarzan books,a bit too cheesy,but I am intending soon to read the Pellucidor series,dont know much about them..
Administrator
Posted 2012-05-29 9:06 PM (#3261 - in reply to #3243)

Admin

dustydigger - 2012-05-29 6:05 AM ...I am intending soon to read the Pellucidor series, dont know much about them..

By now most of you know I'm a huge fan of David Stifel's podcast series of Edgar Rice Burroughs books.  He's done At the Earth's Core and is 4 episodes into Pellucidar so far so you can catch up easy then listen as these stories were originally written - serialized!  I find that it enhances the experience to have to wait for each new show as they came out all those years ago.  Give it a try!

dustydigger
Posted 2012-05-30 2:31 AM (#3263 - in reply to #2833)

Elite Veteran

Thanks,I'll keep it in mind,if I can ever fit it in.Also I am not an audio fan,but this might be fun.I can still remember as a child in th 50's listening to the radio serials-pre TV days for most of us Brits then-and there was in particular ''DAN DARE,PILOT OF THE FUTURE'' Thats in capitals to represent the portentous tone of the introduction,.lol.His great adversary was the Mekon,a little green man on a sort of anti gravity dish,ruler of the Martian Empire,I think.The comic version went on for years...hmm,wonder if thats where my SF love came from originally?
dustydigger
Posted 2012-05-30 2:38 AM (#3264 - in reply to #3263)

Elite Veteran

Lots of ctures on google Images UK of square jawed Dan and his evil opponent!
jervalaw
Posted 2012-06-07 9:29 PM (#3347 - in reply to #2833)

With the movie I tried to go back and read the Priness of Mars. I last read it when I was 12. I just could not read it the writing was too bad.
DrNefario
Posted 2012-06-08 7:26 AM (#3349 - in reply to #2833)

Uber User

I listened to it as an audiobook (free, from librivox) not long ago. I quite enjoyed it.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-11 6:33 AM (#3372 - in reply to #2833)

Elite Veteran

Have just read Scott Laz really excellent,fair and balanced blog on Burroughs,and thoroughly enjoyed it,and the info about ERB's failure to get in the military or live the frontier life he yearned for.That is so insightful and illuminating.
@ jervalaw,I just ignore the writing,I am too busy looking around at the Barsoomian scenery,flora and fauna,and fighting off the enemies with my(or should I say John Carter's) trusty sword.

Edited by dustydigger 2012-06-11 6:45 AM
Emil
Posted 2012-06-11 7:50 AM (#3373 - in reply to #3372)

Uber User

I actually enjoyed the movie quite a bit, particularly its ending. After seeing Prometheus, and considering all the hype about it, and the studio's critical downplay before John Carters' release, I was a lot less disappointed in John Carter than in Prometheus.
Scott Laz
Posted 2012-06-11 2:07 PM (#3374 - in reply to #3373)

Uber User

jervalaw's reaction is understandable. Not everyone can tolerate the pulp style, for good reason. I was expecting to have the same reaction, and was wondering if my youthful memories would be let down, but found I can still enjoy the crazy energy in Burroughs's writing. You have to approach it with some humor, though. Now I'm tempted to read more... I haven't seen the film yet, but am pretty curious about it...
Emil
Posted 2012-06-12 1:44 AM (#3384 - in reply to #2833)

Uber User

Yeh, the pulp style is very, very evident. But this stuff was written in 1917, or thereabouts. I find it truly amazing that these stories can still grab the imagination. I've never read them as a child, only quite recently, on Dave's insistence, and although the pulp style was an irritation, I did enjoy what I've read. It's quick, fun and exciting.

I'm a stickler for the film.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)