open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: 'Where's Grampa?' 'Now that I have chopped him up and passed him through the electric meat grinder at maximum, he is no longer oppressed by the burden of living.'- Noemi Szcsi (The Finno-Ugrian Vampire)
- (Added by: Engelbrecht)

Great Audiobooks
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

jfrantz
Posted 2012-03-31 2:10 PM (#3156)
Subject: Great Audiobooks

I've got some Audible credits for which I have no planned use. Anyone want to suggest some books that are particularly great or maybe even better as audiobooks?

Thanks for any suggestions!

-Jeremy
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Scott Laz
Posted 2012-04-01 9:28 PM (#3159 - in reply to #3156)
Subject: Re: Great Audiobooks

Uber User

I haven't tried any yet, but the "Neil Gaiman Presents" series has been getting a lot of attention...
jfrantz
Posted 2012-04-02 8:40 PM (#3163 - in reply to #3159)

Thanks so much! Just looked that up and the whole series has a special page on audible so it'll be super easy. Based on titles alone, "The Minotaur Takes a Cigarette Break" sounds pretty fun!
Mattastrophic
Posted 2012-04-07 1:30 AM (#3167 - in reply to #3163)

I listen to tons of stuff on Audible, so I have a few suggestions. I looked on your reader page and noticed that you've read The Lies of Locke Lamora. Red Seas Under Red Skies (the sequel) has a pretty good narrator that makes it fun. I also saw World War Z on there, and the audio version of that is pretty awesome. It's abridged but it has great celebrity narrations including Mark Hamil, John Tuturro, Alan Alda, etc. I'm learning to enjoy Scott Brick as a narrator. The Dresden Files narrated by James Marsters (Spike from Buffy) is not only a good series but a good series of audiobooks since Marsters really nails that down-on-his-luck hardboiled detective tone. They have a couple of Modern Scholar series that you may be interested in, one on science fiction and one on fantasy. These are lectures divided into different parts according to time periods, themes, etc. That may sound dry and boring but the one on Science Fiction (called From Here To Infinity) has a nice history of SF and opened me up to some new authors. Simmons' Hyperion is an excellent recording since they do it like an audio drama with different narrators for different characters. I've enjoyed the wry readings of Gideon Emory for Charles Stross Ctuhulhu-meets-Bond-meets-Tech Support series "The Laundry Series" starting with The Atrocity Archives. Their version of Stanislaw Lem's Solaris is neat since it is the first direct Polish to English translation and its narrated by Allessandro Juliani who played Mr. Gaeta on Battlestar Galactica and who is an amazing narrator. Just a few suggestions, hope they help!
jfrantz
Posted 2012-04-07 1:08 PM (#3169 - in reply to #3167)

Yeah I listened to Lies of Locke Lamora so if it's the same guy I'll definitely check that out too. That is a lot of good suggestions. Thanks so much!
Deven Science
Posted 2012-05-03 11:13 PM (#3203 - in reply to #3156)

Uber User

Mattastrophic mentioned The Dresden Files audiobooks, and I 100% agree.

Sticking only with SF/F, I would also recommend Rant, by Chuck Palahniuk. Though Palahniuk is never listed as SF, a couple of his books are, and Rant is a good one, set in a very near dystopian future. It's written from multiple character views, and there is a different voice actor for each view point. It's very good.
Scary_Girl
Posted 2012-07-05 1:05 PM (#3598 - in reply to #3156)

There are a lot of great audio sites out there. Not sure if you are into horror but here is a site I have been really enjoying: http://bit.ly/L6hjeD. It's AudioGo's Dreadtime Stories. A new story gets published every month. I am all done with the CD series and anxiously awaiting more. If you can drop a few bucks, this site offers good, clean audio horror. Very entertaining, decent plot lines and really disgusting sound effects. Again, not sure you are into horror, but if so, this site is a gem.
jfrantz
Posted 2012-07-05 7:10 PM (#3612 - in reply to #3598)

Cool, thanks for the link. I haven't done much horror recently, though I'm always down for it.
Scary_Girl
Posted 2012-07-06 2:21 PM (#3625 - in reply to #3156)

Cool
chuhl
Posted 2012-07-28 1:09 AM (#3891 - in reply to #3156)

I enjoyed the Audible recording of Gateway read by Oliver Wyman. And for a non-SF mood, I highly recommend any of the Flashman novels read by David Case.
stevefrank
Posted 2012-08-29 6:14 AM (#4057 - in reply to #3156)

I reading books just on historical topics. that is interesting...!!
jfrantz
Posted 2012-08-29 8:31 PM (#4058 - in reply to #3891)

chuhl - 2012-07-28 2:09 AM

I enjoyed the Audible recording of Gateway read by Oliver Wyman. And for a non-SF mood, I highly recommend any of the Flashman novels read by David Case.

I think I missed this recommendation a month ago. When I'm ready to go through the rest of the Gateway books, I'm definitely going to check that out!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)