open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: A single pair of panties had shaken me so profoundly that I was ultimately moved to contribute to the circulation of currency. - Nisioisin (Kizumonogatari)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

What are you reading in June?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

Scott Laz
Posted 2012-06-22 9:18 PM (#3472 - in reply to #3427)
Subject: Re: What are you reading in June?

Uber User

@dusty: At the beginning of the thread, you mentioned that you've ONLY read 8 books this month--normally it would be double that! I think you've got me beat!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-23 3:09 AM (#3473 - in reply to #3427)

Elite Veteran

LOL.Yep,before my eyes went wonkyiusually read about 22-26 books a month,depending on how much babysitting and family visits I had.Only read 10 - 15 minutes at a time now,then take a break for 10 mins.No 3 hours at a stretch without surfacing for a break like in the past.
Have you always had an interest in comic books? I was thinking of reading something about them.Havent read them since a child.When I think of all the comics we threw away in those days,which are going for hundreds,even thousands now.I recently got into manga,totally crazy,but fun and refreshing.Still only understand perhaps 40% of what I'm reading lol.Battle Royale is on the list somewhere....
As for graphic novels,I had Art Spiegelmann's Maus on my list for this month,but it is too much of a strain to read it for now. Sometime I must get aroud to Gaiman's Sandman series.

Edited by dustydigger 2012-06-23 3:11 AM
Emil
Posted 2012-06-25 1:54 AM (#3476 - in reply to #3473)

Uber User

@Dusty I see you have been totally smitten by Besters "The Stars My Destination." I found the first couple of pages on the history of jaunting particularly astonishing. Your reference to "white water rafting" in your review is spot on!
dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-25 12:53 PM (#3480 - in reply to #3476)

Elite Veteran

Yeah Emil,it was a white knuckle ride alright,I still havent got over it.I am hopeless at reviews though.I wanted to mention jaunting etc,but didnt want to go into full detail,so I decided to make it an impressionistic review,more my feelings etc.,and not very detailed.All the more surprises for the reader!Your review covered such a lot,I felt me doing a full description would be redundant..
I was 110 pages into Snow Crash,and the library needed it for someone else,so I had to return and reorder it.Could be several weeks to wait.So now I am reading Fritz Leiber's The Wanderer.Lots of irritations and flaws,and it suffers from that defect of such hardest of the hard SF in being totally pathetic in the character department.I will probably post a somewhat mini review later.Coming up for me at the beginning of July is one of the best examples of just how to successfully merge hard science and good characters and plot - Hal Clement's Mission of Gravity.Brilliant! Have you read it? If not get rooting around for it.Not to be missed!
Emil
Posted 2012-06-25 3:32 PM (#3484 - in reply to #3480)

Uber User

Oh yeh, finished "Mission of Gravity" last week. Great SF! Those worms are very cool. My only gripe is that their characterization appeared somewhat human, and I felt they could have done with a little more alien-ness. Other than than, a great read, and I'm very eager to read the sequal / follow-up.

At the moment I'm on to "Hothouse" and have discovered Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series. I've finished Stross' "The Atrocity Archives" and though I did enjoy it, I'm not immersed enough to continue the Laundry series, and I finished "Shipbreaker" - both this weekend. I really liked the later and will read "Drowned Cities" probably this weekend. I love Bacigalupi's work - I know you don't feel a stronf affinity towards post-apocalyptic literature, but his novels have bring something fresh. It's more climate disasters, plausibly presented and the influence the aftermath has on the characters. Love it!
Scott Laz
Posted 2012-06-25 4:07 PM (#3485 - in reply to #3427)

Uber User

@dusty: Finally responding to your last question: Me and comics go back a ways. If you want to get me started on that topic (which could be a mistake!), we can start a new thread... That's amazing that you can read so much limited to a few minutes at a time. I'm getting new glasses this week, and the reading portion of the multifocals needed a pretty big boost from three years ago when I first got them. Before that, I didn't need reading glasses at all. Ah, the joys of aging!

@emil: Keep spreading the Bacigalupi love! I never thought I'd have much use for YA books, but these are great...
dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-26 2:45 AM (#3486 - in reply to #3427)

Elite Veteran

I would be interested in you sharing your comic knowledge with this complete ignoramus-oops perhaps I should have said knowledge of comics!What about one of your excellent scholarly articles on the blog? Surely there are some comic aficionadoes around somewhere in this group? I must admit I am disconcerted by the lack of chat here.A hundred or more visitors a day,and no more than 2 or 3 a day post ! I am sure many come,there are no new posts,so they give up looking.But the remedy is in our own hands.Share what you are reading,tell us about some convention you liked -or didnt- tell us about your raves or pet hates.The participation side is the only weakness in this fabulous site.
Re glasses etc,I have an op on 1st August to replace the lens in my left eye,which is completely dead.For the first time I will have to wear glasses to read.Since my favourite position is sprawled out on my side on the couch,I am sure they will be a damn nuisance...sigh....At the moment the double vision is so bad,I am living in an SF world.If I look up I see three moons in the sky.On one memorable occasion there were about six overlapping moonsThen I KNOW its time to rest the eyes!
htaccess
Posted 2012-06-26 3:58 AM (#3488 - in reply to #3427)

Veteran

Regarding SF comics I would recommend Philippe Druillet (eg Lone Sloane) and Jean Giraud (eg Moebius), the works of Alan Moore and anything from 2000AD in the 80s/early 90s.

Edited by htaccess 2012-06-26 4:04 AM
dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-26 6:20 AM (#3495 - in reply to #3427)

Elite Veteran

Thanks.I am a total beginner.Not even sure where the line is drawn between comics and graphic novels! lol.I have heard of Moore and Gibbons Watchmen books a lot,but apart from Art Spiegelman's Maus,and Birmingham's Where the Wind Blows,and way back Bob Kane's Batman,and Jerry Siegel's Superman (even I have heard of them,megastars of the genre),its all uncharted teritory.I think I had better leave it for now,maybe next year? Ha I always say that and end up embroiled even so.
DrNefario
Posted 2012-06-26 8:04 AM (#3497 - in reply to #3427)

Uber User

I finished Embassytown yesterday, and have moved on to Deadline. I also borrowed Young Hornblower from the library, which might interfere with my Hugo shortlist reading.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-27 12:55 PM (#3507 - in reply to #3427)

Elite Veteran

So,Dr Nefario,what did you think of Embassytown? Opinions seem to be mixed.Is it really obscure,which seems to be Mieville's style.Being obscure doesny impress me very much,unless it is brilliant at the same time.I've read (three times) and loved James Joyce's Ulysses,but for the most part I dont see the point.
Enjoy Young Hornblower.You can always pass it off as research for military science fiction - Bujold,Drake Flint,Weber,Feintuch et al! -
DrNefario
Posted 2012-06-29 7:20 AM (#3529 - in reply to #3427)

Uber User

I enjoyed Embassytown. I kind of took against Mieville because I didn't much like Perdido Street Station and because everything he writes is nominated for every award every time (it seems), but I really need to get over that after The City & the City and Embassytown. They're both flawed, but I enjoyed them. Embassytown has a few philosophical things to say about language, and an annoying habit of using new words where perfectly good ones already existed, but essentially it's just another tale of some troubled interaction with unusual aliens.

I decided I would push on through Deadline, the last of this year's nominees, even though I didn't expect to like it and don't. It doesn't annoy me quite as much as Feed did only because my expectations were already so low. I thought I'd just pile through it as quickly as possible, to get it out of the way, and I'm almost done.
Emil
Posted 2012-06-29 8:56 AM (#3531 - in reply to #3529)

Uber User

I quite enjoyed Feed but a lot less so with Deadline. And I'm a huge fan of Mieville. I consider The Scar still his strongest novel, but also have strong affinity toward Kraken. I sometimes get the idea that he purposefully writes flawed novels
dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-29 9:02 AM (#3533 - in reply to #3427)

Elite Veteran

Yeah,it seems to be a knee jerk reaction to nominate Mieville for everything in sight.It will be interesting in 10 years time just to see what exactly the state of his reputation will be.
I have just completed Fritz Leiber's The Wanderer,which I reviewed,it wasnt as interesting as I had hoped.Now having much more fun though,I am enjoying Hal Clement's Mission of Gravity,and also reading Del Rey's Police Your Planet.Shades of Raymond Chandler,and Clint Eastwood's westerns.Smashing example of hard-boiled pulp,and decidedly downbeat.
DrNefario
Posted 2012-06-29 1:20 PM (#3536 - in reply to #3427)

Uber User

Police Your Planet is one I have lined up for the GMRC, too. Sounds like I'll enjoy it.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-29 3:03 PM (#3537 - in reply to #3427)

Elite Veteran

I was very surprised at how hard boiled it is! Think Mickey Spillane rather than Philip Marlowe,though,this is no man walking down the mean streets who is not himself mean.I do hope you are familiar with Chandler or you wont have the faintest idea what I am talking about!
Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-06-30 3:41 AM (#3540 - in reply to #3427)
Subject: RE: What are you reading in June?

Uber User

Unusually, this month's reading has included some rereads.  My niece happened to be reading Lloyd Alexander's marvelous Prydain series, so I indulged myself and read it along with her.  I'd loved these books as a child, and was a little worried that they might have lost their magic, but they still sparkled!  Another reread was Cawthorne & Moorcock's Fantasy:  The 100 Best Books, prompted by the recent discussion of some lists in progress.  Rereading it has really fired me up to get to some of those books!

First time June reads include:

Ad Eternum (2012), the fourth (and final?) installment in Elizabeth Bear's elegant New Amsterdam vampire series.  Very "manners-punky", this one was a satisfying novella of meditation and emotions, this time with our ancient wampyr protagonist traveling to 1960s New York city.  The entire series is highly recommended.

The Black Opera (2012) by Mary Gentle was a tantalizing fizzle.  Really a shame, as all the ingredients were there for this one to be a real barn-burner: great characters, a great love triangle, a great setting (19th century Naples), a fascinating premise (that inspiring choral works, both sacred and secular can occasion miracles),  and an Illuminati-type plot to summon a god/demon? by sacrificing millions by way of miraculously caused volcanoes.  The real problem was one of pacing - probably a third of the book should have been cut.  The culminating spectacle of dueling opera companies literally singing themselves to death in order to invoke/prevent a catastrophe should have had you on the edge of your seat, however, it was all sabotaged by glacial pacing.  Still a worthwhile read, but it could have been so much more.  I can see that in this book Mary Gentle has tried to rein in her baroque imagination in favor of a tighter plot, but she hasn't quite gotten the hang of it yet.  I expect great things from her next time!

The Twilight of the Gods (1888) by Richard Garnett was a selection from the Cawthorne & Moorcock list.  Thanks to a truly excellent library system, I was able to get the edition recommended by C&M: the 1924 British edition with 28 stories (the original edition only had 16), 28 art plates, and an introduction by Lawrence of Arabia.  It's a terrific collection!  His stories are full of the urbane, elegant  humor that you later see used by James Branch Cabell and Ernest Bramah (and, to a lesser extent, by Lord Dunsany, Saki, and even Thorne Smith).  Try the short story Abdallah the Adite for a taste.  Oh, and bring your OED - I learned a bunch of new words - impignorate, vilipend, lanista, silentiary, protospatharios, and more...

End of the World Blues (2006) by Jon Courtenay Grimwood.  I really liked this one, more so than his Arabesk trilogy.  Perhaps it was the Tokyo milieu bringing back fond memories, but this one was a lot of fun.  As convoluted as the nautilus shell on the book's cover, it was a twisty intersection between various Yakuza/Irish gangsters and a curious refugee/tourist? cosplayer/time traveler from a bizarre future, one in which a dying earth barely supports the guttering embers of humanity.  A worthy BSFA winner.

After the Fall, Before the Fall, During the Fall (2012) by Nancy Kress was a nice  little book, filled with, as always, her wonderful characters, but it unexpectedly ran off the rails with a jarring ending.  It reminded me quite a bit of John Varley's excellent Millennium, using a similar plot in which genetically scarred people from the future reach back through time to snatch healthy people from our own time in a desperate attempt to save humanity.  Worth reading, but Millennium is easily the better book.

The Ecstasy of Influence (2011) by Jonathan Lethem is an assemblage of various essays and ephemera.  It's divided into sections such as II:Dick, Calvino, Ballard: SF and Postmodernism, III Plagiarisms, IV: Film and Comics, etc. Perforce, it's a bit of a mixed bag, but it gives interesting insights into the nature of the creative process, as well as thoughts on some of Letham's favorite cultural icons.  It's inspired me to start reading more Calvino, as well as wishing desperately that I could speedily fit 2666, Roberto Bolano' 900+ page opus into my reading schedule.

Railsea (2012), a YA by China Mieville was... another frustrating and unengaging effort.  The reasons for my somewhat negative reaction to Mieville is starting to crystallize in my mind.  One thing that's always bothered me about Mieville is that he never has any characters that are at all believable or that you give a damn about.  But that's not really the problem - I love lots of books where characterization isn't important.  My main problem with Mieville is that he loves to dream up impossible, absurd premises, and then demands the reader to blithely follow along.  This shouldn't ordinarily be a problem - every genre reader worth their salt should be able to match Lewis Carroll's Red Queen and believe six impossible things before breakfast.  But Mieville seems to want us to believe all this while simultaneously rubbing our noses in the sheer impossibility of it all.  The landscape of Railsea is a near-endless tangle of railways, beneath which lurk giant malefic moles, etc.  In fact, there's some sort of pseudo-postmodern Moby Dick thing going on with the train captain and a giant mole.  But, as one character observes, it's impossible!  This is a recurring theme with Mieville - see my crazy, unbelievable concept?  It's so very, very-very unbelievable that even my characters don't believe it.  But, foolish readers, you have to!!  I'm not sure what Mieville is trying to accomplish with Railsea - post-postmodernernism in a YA?  There's a lot of racing around prior to (SPOILER) an ending in which it turns out that much of the railsea landscape, as well as the MacGuffin quest object, is all an artifact of mutant capitalism.

2312 (2012) by Kim Stanley Robinson.  Totally loved it, as I explained in my review.

Silver Screen (1999) by Justina Robson is a very strong first effort.  At first it feels like it might be an Ender's Game ultra-smart kid school knockoff, but that's only for the first chapter.  Most of the book is concerned with emergent AIs and just how this might play out for the company that engendered them.  It's all very gripping, except for a meandering but surprising ending.  I'm very much looking forward to reading more Robson.

Flora's Fury:  How a Girl of Spirit and a Red Dog Confound Their Friends, Astound Their Enemies, and Learn the Importance of Packing Light (2012)  by Ysabeau S. Wilce is the third installment in the Flora Segunda YA series.  Breathless, non-stop action, sporadically fun, but missing much of the charm and kooky humor that marked the first book in the series.

dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-30 4:44 AM (#3541 - in reply to #3427)

Elite Veteran

Oh wow,Engelbrecht,what a fascinating collection of books you have read this month.Lots of people have recommended Elizabeth Bear to me,maybe I'll get round to her next year? I could never get away with Mary Gentle,her books seemed to start off well,then they couldn sustain my interest as they seemed to fall away.Mind you,I am tlking about a long time ago,she probably has improved lol
I cant get away with MIeville.I read Kraken with disbelief.You are right,he wants us to believe the impossible.That giant squid! It turned out to be a McGuffin too.I hope tha
at is not a regular feature of his work.I am not keen on McGuffins at all.I was not amused,and repeatedly wondered if he was making fun of his readers.It'll be a long time before I read more of him.
Ah,mention of those golden oldies,Lord Dunsany,Ernest Bramah,and Thorne Smith.All old old favourites.I just read some vintage crime lately,including Bramah's Max CarradosNow I am reading Baroness Orczy's Old Man in the Corner..I always thought Thorne Smith was so funny.I had a copy of Nightlife of the Gods which fell apart with age.The prices of his books on Amazon are hair raising,and I rarely come across anyone who has even heard of him,never mind read him.And good old Lord Dunsany!
I remember devouring him,as a teenager,along with M R James,and Lovecraft.Ghost stories like James seemed to have faded away-too subtle,not enough blood and guts for the general public's tastes,I think.
Must start a new thread for July.Love the start of a new month,with a new list,when all the book ducklings are swans,before the disappointments,irritations,and raptures occur.
Happy reading!
dustydigger
Posted 2012-06-30 12:05 PM (#3542 - in reply to #3541)

Elite Veteran

Just completed Hal Clement's Mission of Gravity for the GM challenge.Lots of hard science,but an exciting adventure story to soften it.Too much hard science writing cant strike that balance.Recently read Greg Bear's Eon,and the human side was very dull and poor.I thought the characters were mostly dull ciphers..Emil felt that Clement anthropomorphized Barlennan and co too much.Probably did,but it was FUN.So much po faced philosophising, depressing dystopia or obscure ramblings around today for my taste,good old fashioned improbable adventure,thats the ticket!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)