open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Kiss a lover Dance a measure, Find your name And Buried treasure..." - Neil Gaiman (The Graveyard Book)
- (Added by: Emil)

What are you reading in July?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2012-08-03 3:40 PM (#3922 - in reply to #3546)
Subject: Re: What are you reading in July?

Elite Veteran

Big improvement today,it is as if I had ,had only three whiskies instead of five,and tonight,for the first time in four months,I see only one really beautiful golden moon in the sky.Its been quite science fictionish seeing three moons in the sky! Tried a little reading today,managed about 20 pages of Simon Green's Daemons are forever,and about 30 of a n old Dick Francis favourite,but took it very slow.Also spent mny hours watching the Olympics.Two or three more days and I should be pretty much back to normal,
@ Engelbrecht,I have never come across any SF by Chandler.Presumably they were magazine tales from his pulp days?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
justifiedsinner
Posted 2012-08-03 4:28 PM (#3923 - in reply to #3546)

Uber User

You may be confusing him with A. Bertram Chandler who wrote a bunch of SF. I have three novels by him though for the life of me I can't remember a thing about them.
Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-08-05 2:22 AM (#3928 - in reply to #3546)
Subject: RE: What are you reading in July?

Uber User

Yep, I'm pretty sure that I'm confusing Raymond with Bertram.  I did a quick search and found that ISFDB lists a few SF things by him - I wonder what they're like?  Another thing  I turned up was a letter containing a terrifically funny one paragraph SF parody he did (letter #6):

Did you ever read what they call Science Fiction? It’s a scream. It’s written like this: “I checked out with K19 on Abadabaran III, and stepped out through the crummaliote hatch on my 22 Model Sirus Hardtop. I cocked the timejector in secondary and waded through the bright blue manda grass. My breath froze into pink pretzels. I flicked on the heat bars and the Bryllis ran swiftly on five legs using their other two to send out crylon vibrations. The pressure was almost unbearable, but I caught the range on my wrist computer through the transparent cysicites. I pressed the trigger. The thin violet glow was icecold against the rust-colored mountains. The Bryllis shrank to half an inch long and I worked fast stepping on them with the poltex. But it wasn’t enough. The sudden brightness swung me around and the Fourth Moon had already risen. I had exactly four seconds to hot up the disintegrator and Google had told me it wasn’t enough. He was right.”

They pay brisk money for this crap?

Interestingly, the date of the letter is later than some of his SF pieces... 

justifiedsinner
Posted 2012-08-05 10:58 AM (#3934 - in reply to #3546)

Uber User

The three stories listed are, from their descriptions, more Horror/Fantasy than SF. Going through "The Bronze Door" causes people to disappear, the Snuff causes people to become invisible and the third is described as a Gothic Romance.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-08-05 11:06 AM (#3936 - in reply to #3546)

Elite Veteran

LOL,Engelbrecht,thanks for quoting the letter.Actually,that sounds quite a good story! No,no,only kidding,but quite a few writers would love to write that like that,if was toned down a little!
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)