open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
- (Added by: Administrator)

What are you reading in July?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

Rhondak101
Posted 2012-07-07 6:56 AM (#3631 - in reply to #3546)
Subject: Re: What are you reading in July?

Uber User

@Dusty, Yes, I saw the BBC (here Masterpiece Theatre) Wimseys when they came out in the 80s. I have the DVDs and re-watch them about once a year. When you finish reading your Allinghams, you should watch the BBC versions of Campion with Peter Davison. They are very well done.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DrNefario
Posted 2012-07-07 11:34 AM (#3633 - in reply to #3546)

Uber User

I seem to have come home today with Omon Ra, so I guess I'm in for that after all. (Also got some cheap Dorothy L Sayers and a s/h copy of Michael Chabon's Kavalier and Clay, so not a bad day.)
Rhondak101
Posted 2012-07-07 1:05 PM (#3634 - in reply to #3633)

Uber User

Yep, sounds like a good day to me.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-07 2:42 PM (#3640 - in reply to #3546)

Elite Veteran

@ Rhonda - Yes I watched them of course,but the actor portraying Campion didnt seem right to me,so never watched them again..I also was a bit disappointed in the Inspector Alleyn dramas oo.I didnt like Alleyn he was a bit dry and soulless for my tastes.But Fox was spot on for me,I thought he was wonderful.Perhaps Alleyn wasnt handsome or charismatic enough,or at least compared with the pictures in my head!
Rhondak101
Posted 2012-07-07 3:04 PM (#3642 - in reply to #3546)

Uber User

@Dusty, I agree about Alleyn--not charismatic enough. I did like the actress playing Agatha Troy.

However, I loved the impishness that Davidson had as Campion, and I thought the actor playing Lugg was perfect.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-08 3:16 PM (#3657 - in reply to #3546)

Elite Veteran

Ah,dear old Maggers,of whom Albert once said,he has the courage of his (previous) convictions!.Thinking back,I think I couldnt accept Peter Davison as Campion because I still had him in my mind as Dr Who.
Scary_Girl
Posted 2012-07-10 7:26 PM (#3700 - in reply to #3546)

Three books (well one is an audio book of sorts).
- Trying to finish Asimov's Foundation series.
- Just started Guns, Germs & Steel (I know not SciFi or horror but great, informative read)
- And I have been hooked on Dreadtime stories, great audio horror - http://bit.ly/L6hjeD

dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-14 1:13 PM (#3736 - in reply to #3546)

Elite Veteran

Finished Spiegelman's Maus,a brave harrowing book.whose horrific tale is barely softened by ist use of animal characters.Also finished Andre Norton's Plague Ship,an early book of hers about space traders who visit a planet for trade,and pick up what maybe a plague,so no space station will let them land.Light fun read,which may possibly be juvenile,and I enjoyed the details of the planet they visited.Then I was annoyed to see it wasnt in the data base,so I couldnt add it for the GM challenge! So now I think I will replace it with Time Traders,sounds like fun.Will get to Haldeman's Forever War next week,what should have been my 12th,now my 11th challenge read.
I will relax tomorrow reading Moore and Gibbons Watchmen,and some volumes of Natsui Takaya's Fruits Basket.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-17 12:37 PM (#3765 - in reply to #3546)

Elite Veteran

Finished Andre Norton's The Time Traders,about a young criminal who is forced into a secret group who are investigating why the Russians have strange weapons which seem to be futuristic-yet were discovered in the distant past.Non stop adventure tale,where our hero has quite a tough time of it.I enjoyed it,you never knew what was going to happen next.I think I will continue with the next 2 books,which are on Project Gutenberg.Its great fun reading these old books.This makes eleven books read for the challenge,only Joe Haldeman's Forever War left to read to complete it!.
Emil
Posted 2012-07-19 2:25 AM (#3803 - in reply to #3546)

Uber User

Finished:
Malzberg - Beyond Apollo - https://www.worldswithoutend.com/novel.asp?id=456
Shocking and controversial critique of NASA. All round Freudian twaddle, but Malzberg makes good use of the unreliable narrator. Could have done with a little less explicit sex, but then again, it is Freudian.

Sturgeon - Some Of Your Blood - https://www.worldswithoutend.com/novel.asp?id=3512
An epistolary and horror, and surprisingly brilliant. The Freudian influences are evident but not as overt as in Venus Plus X. The first half of the book had me reminiscing about Gene Wolfe. The second half is much more revealing and the story suffers a little from that. I would have liked it even more if Sturgeon remained obscure in the telling. Nonetheless, beautifully crafted and emotionally disturbing. George is a sympathetic and grotesque individual and the horror of it was that I come to accept and embrace him for everything that he is. A favorite and a marvelous re-calibration of the vampire theme.

Doc Smith - The Skylark of Space - https://www.worldswithoutend.com/novel.asp?id=1411
Pulp. Doc Smith. Bigger than life super hero and super villain and love interest. The action is great, but some passages were an irksome drag to trudge through. Still, a pretty good space adventure. I enjoyed it more than Triplanetary.

Reading:
Vonnegut - The Sirens of Titan (fun, fun, fun, if there is something like this in dark sarcasm and cynicism).
Wolfe - An Evil Guest (a much, much, much misunderstood and misinterpreted novel. Will be another favorite depending the ending).
Burroughs - The Warlord of Mars (a lot better than The Gods of Mars, and almost as good as The Princess of Mars.)
Knight - Far Out (still reading it slowly, story by story. I want it to be the last book I finish for the GMRC)
Bradley - The Spell Sword (still continuing with the Darkover series, but it's slowly losing some of its initial appeal. It needs something new now.)
Vance - The Languages of Pao (for the GMRC and really looking forward to this with anticipation. Still only on the first few pages.)

Confessions:
Nothing came of my plan to read The Drowned Cities and another of the 8 Hugo winners I still need to read. Maybe next month. Then again, they may still take the backseat to the Outside The Norm readings, or whatever else tickle my fancy.
DrNefario
Posted 2012-07-19 7:52 AM (#3809 - in reply to #3546)

Uber User

I'm feeling like I should make my next book something that's not on any of my lists, too. It seems like quite a long time since I did that (although it isn't really). Right now, I'm thinking it might be Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, but I might have a different opinion by the time I finish Omon Ra and the Hugo shorts. Which I ought to get a move on with: it seems to be the 19th already.
Rhondak101
Posted 2012-07-19 7:56 AM (#3810 - in reply to #3617)
Subject: RE: What are you reading in July?

Uber User

@Engelbrecht, Hi, I was just trolling through this thread (to see what I said I was going to read in July) and saw that I missed your long post from July 6. I look a Viking Literature class in college and try to teach a saga or two whenever I can. During the Viking Lit class we read the Elder Edda, which I enjoyed very much, but I love Norse mythology and have since I was a kid.

The class I'm teaching in the fall is a special topics course: Gender and Sexuality in the Medieval Lit. I'm teaching the Laxdaela Saga and the Saga of Ref the Sly. There's lots there about constructions of masculinity and femininity and men and women who challenge their prescribed gender roles, plus a lot of old-fashioned homophobia and misogyny--all in all, lots to work with

I've only read the first section of Hrolf Kraki's Saga, but so far, I think Anderson is doing a great job working with the source saga. His premise is to put the tale in the mouth of a Scandinavian wife of an English soldier living in England around the year 1000 (I know it is pre-Norman invasion). This allows him to fill out the gaps that are in the saga and explain a bit more about how the characters lived, how the religion worked, etc.

I've never heard of the IAFA, but I just looked it up. It looks like an interesting organization that I need to explore more.

Thanks.

By the way, your review of Kiln People was spot on. it had oo much potential in the beginning--a great noir voice and then Pfft!

Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-07-20 6:54 AM (#3828 - in reply to #3546)

Uber User

@Rhonda!  No worries!  I've always loved the Norse myths the best as well - sounds like it was a fun class.  Sounds like this fall will be good times as well! 

Glad you liked the review!  I have, I think, eight more books read to report on - I seem to read them faster than I can comment on them!  Ah well, maybe next week when I return from a weekend in the Sierra mountains.

Scott Laz
Posted 2012-07-20 2:01 PM (#3834 - in reply to #3546)

Uber User

I finished Embassytown, my first Mieville, and enjoyed it very much. A little tough at first, but I generally enjoy stories where I'm thrown into a complex alien society/situation and have to figure out what's going on, if it pays off in the end (which I think this does). The Le Guin influence is clear. I considered giving it my Hugo vote, but I'm going to stick with Walton. They're so different that it's hard to weigh them against each other, but Mieville probably doesn't need any more awards!

The last week was spent with Evangeline Walton's Mabinogion tetralogy. It's a novelization/retelling of the Welsh legends. Magic, monsters, telepathy, excursions to the underworld and Faery--I can see why this was republished during the '70s fantasy boom. There's a lot to chew on, but the theme Walton uses to tie it all together is the effect on society of a growing realization that men have a role in reproduction (brought to Britain by the New Tribes [the Normans?]), which leads to the institution of marriage and the diminishing of women's power in that society (it's not that simple, but that's the basic idea). Within the aristocracy, it brings up the possibility of a son inheriting from a father, instead of the old tradition of the family line passing to the son of a sister. I think the gender theme is more Walton than the original story, but it's quite fascinating. It's almost science fictional in it's portrayal of a culture that is quite alien to us as modern readers, challenging us to consider the ambiguous implications of "progress." I'd be curious whether it fits into what Rhonda is discussing above...

I also finished the Hugo short fiction nominees--some good ones, but overall it seems like an underwhelming year.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-20 3:19 PM (#3837 - in reply to #3546)

Elite Veteran

Yay! Just completed Joe Haldeman's The Forever War,and that completes my 12x12 Grand Masters challenge!.It was good fun,and I read 6 new authors,10 new books.Tiny drop in the ocean of my ignorance,but a start.
All you lazy guys (apart from Greg ) have you noticed that many of the ladies are well on the way to finishing the challenge?
scifigal84
Posted 2012-07-22 5:56 PM (#3849 - in reply to #3546)

I'm currently reading both Dan Simmons Hyperion and also Peter F. Hamilton's The Reality Dysfunction! I have a tendency to read 2 or 3 books at any given time yet I surprise myself by not getting confused. Hyperion is really amazing, I cannot begin to even explain how much I've fell in love with this book lately. As for The Reality Dysfunction, that too is an amazing book but it's slow going at the moment (only another 471 pages to go before The Neutronium Alchemist). I was browsing on Amazon and just happened to buy Ender's Game for my Kindle app; heard great things so hoping to start that once I finish my current Kindle eBook (World of Watches series by Russian writer Sergei Lukyanenko). Seems like my Amazon Kindle and Amazon wishlists are growing by the day, I keep seeing books and SF classics that I want so very much - story of my life, really!
Emil
Posted 2012-07-23 3:28 AM (#3860 - in reply to #3849)

Uber User

@Scott, thanks for the Embassytown update. I'm reading it soon and am encouraged that you liked it. It means I will probably too

@Dusty, jeepers, it's meant to be 12 for the year, one per month! But well done on being the first (I think) doing so. That leaves you now with enough time to craft out reviews for those you haven't done yet

@scifigal84 Hyperion is one of my all-time favorites. Ideally I need to continue the series but I'm reticent and concerned that the following books won't live up to it. I really enjoyed the Reality Dysfunction, until the final book. But I won't spoil it for you - the series remains an incredible feat of imagination, and the science simply astonishing.

I'm also reading a stack of books together in a mad rush to finish a few before I leave South Africa and take up the farming business in Namibia. I'm reading Gene Wolfe's The Urth of the New Sun and am fully emerged, as if I've just recently finished The Book of the New Sun. Wolfe is pure magic.

Then also Joe McKinney's Bram Stoker winner Flesh Eaters - I'm enthralled with McKinney. From the first book of the none-series, he has developed his skill in leaps and bounds, and already the third installment is an improvement on the second, and a giant leap from the first. Yes, the story seems a little repetitive (which is a big challenge for zombie stories), but his characterizations are absorbing. I'm hoping that the people I like don't get eaten!

And so, also The Chessman of Mars, which is much more mature than the preceding. Heavens, the consumption of human flesh must have been quite a thing back in 1922.

Catching up on the Hugo winners, I've started with The Wanderer. There is already lovemaking within the first few pages.

GMRC: The Languages of Pao - so far quite enjoyable. Intrigued to see where it will end.

I'm also reading ad hoc a few short stories collections: Far Out, and the "best of" collections of Kutner, Moore and Kornbluth.
Rhondak101
Posted 2012-07-23 4:07 PM (#3861 - in reply to #3834)

Uber User

Scott,

Thanks for this. I read Walton’s Mabinogion long before I knew anything about Welsh social history. Now it seems like I need to reread Walton!

Be warned: I wrote my dissertation on English portrayals of the Irish and the Welsh in the Middle Ages. What you are referring to about gender sounds very plausible in Welsh culture. The Normans tried very hard to bring their brand of Catholicism to the Welsh, whose Catholicism was much more reflective their pagan roots. Therefore, issues of consanguinity and primogeniture were foremost in the Normans’ minds—not so much the Welshs’. They did not care so much if uncles married nieces, especially if it were her second marriage. Also, a man often married his brother’s widow as a matter of course. The Normans were against this practice. The Welsh had trial marriages, meaning that a man and woman could go through an informal ceremony and then live together for one year. If the wife was not pregnant by the end of the year (or had not had a child), then either party could leave the relationship and seek another one. Finally, inheritance did go through the sister (from the mother’s side if multiple marriages) in both Welsh and Irish cultures. The reasoning was this: a man and his sister might have different fathers, but they are pretty sure they are from the same womb. Likewise, the sister might not be faithful to her husband, but the brother is sure that her son is kin to him no matter who the father is. All of this points to a culture in which women held some power and sexual freedom. Of course, Marion Zimmer Bradley is famous for doing the same in The Mists of Avalon. These women are so different than the women you see in Anglo-Norman and French works.

If you are interested reading another modernization of The Mabinogion, you should read a trilogy by Tom Dietz: Soulsmith, Dreambuilder and Wordwright. (They are in the database.) These stories take place in Welch County, Georgia and incorporate Welsh and Irish myths into stories of a modern family dynasty. They are lots of fun.

Scott Laz
Posted 2012-07-24 5:26 PM (#3866 - in reply to #3546)

Uber User

Thanks, Rhonda. The idea that keeps coming up in Walton's version of the Mabinogion, and which drives much of the narrative (and tragedy), is the problems created for the "Old Tribes" as they assimilate the ideas of the "New Tribes." She may have exaggerated the differences to emphasize the conflict, since in her telling, the Old Tribes have never had marriage at all, nor do they have a conception of the role of the father in reproduction, and they are clearly pagan (I think), worshiping the "mother gods." When their kings start to get the idea that they can identify their sons, they begin to look for ways to pass on the kingship to them, instead of to their sisters' sons. Gwydion, heir to King Math, gets the bright idea of having a child with his sister, so that his son can be king, while not violating the ways of the Old Tribes. Hijinks ensue... I'll expand on this in my next blog post. Also, thanks for pointing out the connections to Bradley and Dietz. This is exactly the sort of thing I'm looking for in mapping out the fantasy genre...

Currently reading: Galaxy, September 1952 (F. L. Wallace's "Delay in Transit" is an interesting story looking at the problematic logistics of galaxy-spanning travel, with a pretty good early anticipation of a believable A.I. character; also stories by James Schmitz and a young Gordon R. Dickson), and more stories from The Weird anthology.

Next up: Omon Ra!
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-25 3:05 AM (#3875 - in reply to #3546)

Elite Veteran

I finished Joe Haldeman's The Forever War this week,and was a bit disappointed,frankly.The time dilation was great,but the return visits to earth were very sketchy,and I didnt buy the notion that the world became totally homosexual as a response to overpopulation,then a 1000 years later they are all clones.
If this is an anti- war book,I suppose the tailing away of the war as an anticlimax while the hero was off in space is supposed to be ironic,but it didnt hit home for me.Best bits? The early scenes of training,and the Battle of the Alamo equivalent as the little band held out around the space ship.Perhaps more like the battle of Roarke's Drift with Michael Caine in the film Zulu. Clever idea to make the 21st century English the language for all spacemen,so they can communicate even when the normal language has drastically change. All in all though,not my cup of tea.

dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-25 12:06 PM (#3879 - in reply to #3546)

Elite Veteran

Thoroughly enjoyed H Beam Piper's short story Omnilingual.Archaeologists from earth are excavating the ruins of a Martian city 50,000 years after the martians died out.A university library brim full of books is discovered,but how will they ever work out the language.They need the equivalent of a Rosetta Stone to decode the language.Neat little solution.
I am progressing slowly but surely with Moore's Watchmen,but I have other non science fiction books to finish this month,including Tom's Midnight Garden, and Memoirs of a Geisha.
Emil
Posted 2012-08-02 5:33 AM (#3899 - in reply to #3546)

Uber User

@Dusty I'm reading Omnilingual now in the collection Federation, along with Oomphel in the Sky. The collection I have has a riveting and absorbing introduction by Jerry Pournell and John Carr. They give a very broad overview and analysis of Piper's work. I was never aware of his far-reaching influence. Graveyard of Dreams is a beautiful title for a story - I'm hoping it lives up to the expectation. Omniligual is considered very influential with regards to archaeology of an extinct alien race. I love the way in which Piper adds scientific envy and grudgingness to the plot.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-08-02 2:35 PM (#3900 - in reply to #3546)

Elite Veteran

Yes,the academic infighting is probably verytrue to life.I am making the shortest of visits to WWEnd tonight.Had my operation yesterday,bandage now off,but after many months with only one functioning eye,its quite an effort to try to make them focus together now! I am seeing in the way I probably would after 5 double whiskeys,double vision and blurring ,streaming eyes,but hopefully I will be much better in a few days.Just popped in to say hello and start a new thread for August reads.
Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-08-03 7:40 AM (#3915 - in reply to #3546)

Uber User

@Dusty, I'm sorry to hear about your eye troubles, but the operation sounds like good news.  Hopefully you'll be down to a single whiskey or less in a few days!

Back to Raymond Chandler, didn't he write some science fiction?

justifiedsinner
Posted 2012-08-03 11:55 AM (#3918 - in reply to #3546)

Uber User

Or you could use it as an excuse to have the 5 double whiskies. When life hands you lemons I like to slice them up and put them in my Gin and Tonic. That said it must suck not being able to read hopefully there is some free audiobooks you can download to hold you over.

Trying to finish Embassytown. It got sidelined by 2 non-SF books; Tatjana Soli's The Lotus Eaters and Julian Barnes The Sense of an Ending.

Edited by justifiedsinner 2012-08-03 11:57 AM
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)