open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The future is here. It's just not widely distributed yet." - William Gibson
- (Added by: Administrator)

The Lathe of Heaven - TV version
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-08 5:35 AM (#3647)
Subject: The Lathe of Heaven - TV version

Elite Veteran

I was browsing David Pringle's Ultimate Guide to Science Fiction,the TV section,and Pringle said that the 1980 TV movie was the'' best SF ever to be made for American TV',it captures the essence of Le Guin's novel and it is a work of art in its own right''
Anyone seen it,if so do you agree? No one seems to have a good word for the remake in 2002..I think the 1980 version is on YouTube,might have a look at it sometime,
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Scott Laz
Posted 2012-07-08 12:12 PM (#3651 - in reply to #3647)
Subject: Re: The Lathe of Heaven - TV version

Uber User

I'll verify that. I saw it when it originally aired on PBS when it originally aired, and it always stuck in my head. I noticed it on Netflix last year and watched it again. Despite the low-budget production values, it still holds up. It's one of the rare examples of SF in film that is on the same intellectual level as the best literary SF of its time, like 2001 or Solaris (the Tarkovsky version). If you get/rent the DVD, there's also a nice recent interview with Le Guin.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-08 12:51 PM (#3652 - in reply to #3647)

Elite Veteran

Thanks Scott,it is rare in US science fiction to produce a one off standalone,original piece of work.US science fiction is much more into slick,long running stereotypical work.Must definitely get to it later,after rereading the book,which I read in the Stone Age.
Scott Laz
Posted 2012-07-08 12:59 PM (#3654 - in reply to #3647)

Uber User

Agreed. This was produced by PBS (U.S. public broadcasting) on a low budget, not subject to the same commercial constraints as filmmakers usually are.
gallyangel
Posted 2012-07-08 4:47 PM (#3659 - in reply to #3647)

Uber User

I'd agree. The 1980 version is better. Last time I saw it, I noticed that it had almost a nostalgia look about it. This is SF from the 70ies, and looks it. But that's fine. That's when the book is set, in that era, so that sort of look works. A good effort with a SF classic.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-07-09 1:38 AM (#3667 - in reply to #3647)

Elite Veteran

There certainly isnt an abundance of great TV science fiction around to compete! I have some vivid memories of early SF in the UK though.Quatermass and the Pit was excellent,about an alien ship being dug up and something escaping.I was 11,and was riveted.A for Andromeda was another fascinating series,with Julie Christie as the incarnation of an alien computer.Scientist and science fiction writer Fred Hoyle was the co-writer,so there were interesting snippets about scientists and their thirst for knowledge in there with the usual paranoia about aliens.
Of course in 1963 came Dr Who of everlasting fame.Rubbish sets and hilariosly bad special effects never dimmed the fans enthusiasm,and its almost incredible to see it flourishing,more popular than ever.The idea of the Tardis just clicked with everyone,in a very similar way to kids fascination with the Wardrobe in C.S.Lewis's Narnia books.And of course the brilliant theme tune-and the Daleks!
Oh,forgot a very fine version of 1984 with Peter Cushing doing a brilliant job as Winston Smith -''do it to Julia'' was heartbreaking and memorable. Day of the Triffids is a perennial favourite in Britain,we seem to get a new versionabout once a decadeSo there is some good stuff among the dross if you search for it!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)