open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "History often resembles myth, because they are both ultimately of the same stuff. -J.R.R. Tolkien
- (Added by: icowrich)

What are you reading in August?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2012-08-02 3:25 PM (#3904)
Subject: What are you reading in August?

Elite Veteran

I know some of you will be reading Omon Ra,and others will be hastening to finish the GM challenge.So tell us what fun reads you have lined up for this month.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2012-08-03 12:00 AM (#3910 - in reply to #3904)
Subject: RE: What are you reading in August?

Admin

dustydigger - 2012-08-02 3:25 PM I know some of you will be reading Omon Ra...

I've got my copy of Omon Ra on hand and I'm heartily glad it's a slim volume.  In addition I'm reading The Reverse of the Medal by Patrick O'Brian, book 11 of the Aubrey/Maturin series for those of you keeping count.  I'll also be reading Ubik by Philip K. Dick with a couple guys at work.  It turns out we never read the same books so we thought it might be fun to talk about one we've all read for a change.

Why Ubik?  We used a random number generator to choose one for us from The Classics of Science Fiction list.  We ran the numbers 6 times until we landed on a book none of had read and that none of us objected to.

Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-08-03 6:27 AM (#3911 - in reply to #3904)

Uber User

I missed posting the rest of my July reads in the July thread, so I'll catch up here.  The last few weeks have seen me through a bunch of quickies;  I think that WWE has really spurred my reading appetite!

The Green Man (1969) by Kingsley Amis was quietly spectacular!!  The characters and their interactions were so real and the writing was so crisp and sardonic.  The plot was great as well, managing to unhurriedly cover quite a bit of ground for such a slim little book.  I had enjoyed his sf criticism in New Maps of Hell (1960), but this was my first encounter with Amis' fiction.  I've definitely become a fan of his, and will be reading more soonest!

The Enemy Stars (1958) by Poul Anderson was a GMRC read.  A piece of it's time, I suppose I would say.  It had a few moments, and the Nordic characters were typically strong and vivid, but some of the other characters were weaker, and even problematic.  The plot was a little flimsy, but the book is really more of a character study.

The Nonexistant Knight and The Cloven Viscount (1952/59) by Italo Calvino were a pair of charming fables, surreal, whimsical, and quite enjoyable.  Criminally, it's been ages since I last read Calvino.

Frank Reade:  Adventures in the Age of Invention (2012) by Guinan & Bennett is an odd book.  The Frank Reade stories were the earliest Edisonade stories, predating Tom Swift, and featured Frank Reade and his descendants in a long running series of adventures for boys starring the Reades and their inventions (steam airships, submarines, etc.).  This book is a curious artifact, purporting to tell the "secret" history of the Reades, blurrily conflating real and fictitious history.  Three quarters of the book is devoted to beautiful period photographs and artwork, but here again, it is a mix of authentic pieces and pieces that have been photoshopped or even created wholesale, all without any clear way to tell which is which.  The book would have been more compelling if it had approached the subject matter in a straightforward documentary style.

The Paradox Men (1953) by Charles L. Harness, read because I was intrigued by Scott Laz's review.  Sadly for me, I didn't enjoy the same reading experience that he did.  The circular paradox of the book is indeed clever, but I found that the juxtaposition of this cleverness with the cartoonish Van Vogt style employed here was too dissonant for me.  Afterwards, I wound up rereading his semi-autobiographical and very moving Cybele, With Bluebonnets, written almost fifty years later, and reworking the same themes of The Paradox Men to good effect.

The Haunting of Hill House (1959) by Shirley Jackson, the classic novel of psychological horror.  It's clear why this one has such a great reputation.  I liked it quite a bit, but I think I liked her We Have Always Lived in the Castle even better.

A Short History of Fantasy (2009) by Farah Mendlesohn & Edward James was just that, a short history, briefly covering lots of titles, and with surprisingly few lacunae given it's short length (almost 100 of it's less than 300 pages are given over to indexes, a chronology, and the like).  Recommended.

Omon Ra (1996) by Victor Pelevin, a reread for the Outside the Norm group read.  In connection with that, I also read a couple of vaguely associated books, books that might be best described as genre-tinged novels of communist economic history: Red Plenty (2010) by Francis Spufford (historical USSR) and The Fat Years (2011) by Koonchung Chan (near future China), which were both entertaining and informative.

The Testament of Jessie Lamb (2011) by Jane Rogers, the recent Arthur C. Clarke winner.  Pretty underwhelming.  The protagonist was just so... jejune.  Over at Strange Horizons , Adam Roberts sums up it's shortcomings much better than I can.

The Mirage (2012) by Matt Ruff was disappointing, at least when compared to his earlier books.  This one is a fairly earnest inversion of the 9/11 attack in which a terrorist attack by Christian fundamentalists from a backwards American is carried out upon an Arab superpower.  The plot, such as it is, is really just there as a way for Ruff to engage in some heavy handed satire at the expense of various villains on both sides of the real 9/11 and it's aftermath.  The ending was especially muddled.

Redshirts (2012) by John Scalzi.  Scalzi is always light, witty, entertaining reading, and is especially so here.  This isn't actually a good thing, as the book has so little heft to it that it feels like it would have fared better as a novellette, or even as a short story.

The Masks of Time (1968) by Robert Silverberg, A GRMC read and one of the earliest "new Silverberg", written as Silverberg was trying to shed his "zap-zap pulp adventure" reputation (see Silverberg's later introduction).  He succeeds in producing a thought provoking book with intriguing characters, but it's still not quite as good as some of his books written just a year or so later.

Ring Around the Sun (1953) by Clifford D. Simak, another GMRC read, is another good but not great effort by a Grand Master.  Written in Simak's characteristically clear style and featuring another of his everyman protagonists, it ultimately becomes a puzzle of identities, somewhat reminiscent of Harness's The Paradox Men.

Darker Than You Think (1948) by Jack Williamson, yet another GMRC read, was excellent, especially considering it's vintage.  Reporter Will Barbee is caught up in his desire for the beautiful and mysterious cub reporter/"werewolf" April, and their nighttime escapades together quickly enmesh him in a supernatural struggle beyond his ken, pitting him against old friends, indeed against all of humanity.  What will Will do?  The ending is a corker!!  As a bonus,  the edition I read was graced by a number of brilliant illustrations by David G. Klein (uncredited - why does that happen so often?).  This book was the subject of a couple of fine WWE blog reviews, one by Charles Dee Mitchell, and one by Scott Lazerus.

@Dave:  Ubik is great, so y'all should really enjoy it.  RNG, nice!!  Next time, maybe read Robert Silverberg's The Stochastic Man or Stanislaw Lem's The Chain of Chance

DrNefario
Posted 2012-08-03 7:19 AM (#3913 - in reply to #3904)
Subject: Re: What are you reading in August?

Uber User

Ubik is my favourite PKD, I think. I reckon it's the most representative of his good ones. (I've read quite a lot of his stuff, but I can't remember the titles too well, so I've hardly marked any off on this site.)

I'm reading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline at the moment. It's pretty much aimed exactly at me, since it's about geek culture and the 1980s. I'm enjoying it, but I think it might be trying too hard. I said I was going to start it a while ago, but I ended up reading David Drake's With the Lightnings first, instead, for technical reasons (Ready Player One is on my Kindle, where I was also reading the Hugo shorts, and didn't want to have to swap around). With the Lightnings was okay, but didn't really grab me.

After this, I really need to do some catching up on the GMRC. At the moment, I'm planning to go for Ursula K. le Guin's The Dispossessed. I'll probably have to skip the next Outside the Norm book, the Ben Okri, so I can make up some ground.
Scott Laz
Posted 2012-08-03 2:34 PM (#3920 - in reply to #3904)

Uber User

I also happened to read Mendlesohn & James's Short History of Fantasy this week. I agree it does what it's trying to do pretty well, but it's a bit of an impossible task. I started to get bogged down in the later chapters by the torrent of one-or-two paragraph descriptions of author after author, with fairly arbitrary transitions between them. I don't know that it could have been done better, though, considering the variety and sheer volume of current fantasy they were trying to summarize. I'd recommend it, especially for the earlier chapters. Clearly the authors know their stuff, and the chapter on Tolkien and Lewis was fascinating.

Just finished Sinister Barrier by Eric Frank Russell, in the March 1939 issue of Unknown. It's a paranoid conspiracy theory story based on the idea that most of humanity's misfortune and irrationality, as well as various unexplained phenomena, is the result of the existence of invisible (to us) parasitic energy beings (Vitons) that have been manipulating us into behaving badly (wars and such) so that they can feed off of our negative emotions. Missing persons? Bermuda Triangle? That's the Vitons abducting people in order to experiment on them. Birth defects? Mental illness? The result some of those experiments. You know that shivery feeling like "someone just walked across your grave"? That's a Viton inserting an energy tendril into you so as to feed off of your emotions! Etc. Why haven't we ever figured this out? Because the Vitons are telepathic, and anyone who suspects is wiped out. In the story, a government agent (a Heinleinian hero-type taken to the extreme) has to figure this out and disseminate the knowledge without being found out by the Vitons, then find a weapon against them. Once the word gets out, the Vitons retaliate by mentally hijacking the "Yellow" races of Earth (apparently more susceptible to their manipulation) and force them to start a war against the "white" countries of America and Europe, in order to help wipe out those who have discovered them, and feed on the resultant pain and terror. Russell wrote much better stories during the '40s, but this one doesn't work for me. It is one of his earlier efforts, and it's difficult to get past the dated style, seemingly unconscious racism, and unbelievable main character. I suppose the idea that all of humanity's problems are the result of a single cause could be appealing, but I have no patience for conspiracy theories, which seem to arise in order to provide scapegoats for the simple-minded who can't be bothered to understand and grapple logically with the complex problems that we face. This novel is pretty well known, and has mostly stayed in print, but I don't think it's a very good example of Golden Age SF, though in some ways it may be a representative one...

picture

Omon Ra was a quick read. Looking forward to the discussion. @engelbrecht: I meant to get Red Plenty after seeing it reviewed in The Economist a while back, but it wasn't out in the U.S. yet. I was reminded of it yesterday as there was a rave review by Jo Walton on tor.com. It seems to have gotten a lot of interest from the SF community. [also @engelbrecht: That Frank Reade book sounds like it’s along the same line’s as Philip Jose Farmer’s Tarzan Alive; and yes, it is sad for you that you didn’t like The Paradox Men.] 

Not sure what I'll get to this month, but rising toward the top of the list are Atwood's Handmaid's Tale, maybe some Robert E. Howard Conan stories for the blog, Bring the Jubilee by Ward Moore, and The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle.

Also, agreed that Ubik is essential PKD (maybe the best/most representative novel), and therefore possibly the greatest book ever!

whargoul
Posted 2012-08-04 11:12 AM (#3925 - in reply to #3904)

Admin

I just finished PKD's "Total Recall" ( "We Can Remember it For You Wholesale" ) that I purchased thanks to Rico's blog post. For as short as it was I thought it was really amazing. I have to admit that this was my first Dick and I enjoyed it immensely and I'm looking forward to my next.

I'm also reading PKD's Ubik along with Dave and another fellow, so far it's been a pretty good read up to chapter 4.

Sadly I've never read much of the classics so I've challenged myself to start reading one a month starting with Alice's Adventures in Wonderland that I finished last month and am now continuing with Frankenstein in August. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was certainly a joy to read and Frankenstein has also been an interesting read so far.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-08-04 12:07 PM (#3927 - in reply to #3904)

Elite Veteran

Love Alice.First read it when I was about 9,and have had various copies ever since.On the other hand didnt read Frankenstein till last year.I had always thought Colin Clive was too wimpy and over the top as Victor,but when I read the book I thought he was spot on!
Loved that 1933 version.Karloff was supreme,and many scenes still hold up extremely well today.
Whargoul,I think if we are using the Guardian list next year for the challenge,it will be wonderful,because it covers such a wide area.Looking forward to it already!

Edited by dustydigger 2012-08-04 12:08 PM
Engelbrecht
Posted 2012-08-05 4:57 AM (#3931 - in reply to #3904)

Uber User

@Scott:  Thanks for the Jo Walton Red Plenty link, lots of good stuff there.  Something Jo doesn't say is how science fictional the book is:  according to the Science Fiction section of the author's Red Plenty site, the structure of the book was consciously modeled after Kim Stanley Robinson's Red Mars trilogy and KSR was one of the draft readers of the book (noted in the acknowledgements).  Additionally, the book has it's moments when it's in something of a fairytale mode (see the Fairytales section of the same site).  It's all extremely entertaining, and, should you be looking for additional depth, just look to the buttressing 70 pages of notes and bibliography.  Take it from an old Econ major, it's the best novel of mathematical economics in action you could ever hope to read! 

Rhondak101
Posted 2012-08-07 1:30 PM (#3955 - in reply to #3904)

Uber User

So far August has been mostly class prep---reading lots of medieval texts, which are fun, but I'll spare you all the details

I finished Omon Ra and started the Forum on it in a different tread. I will be getting Okri's The Famished Road very soon, so I will start that.

I just read Richard Reynolds, Superheroes: A Modern Mythology. It was written in 1992 and does a really good job talking about the emergence of superheroes. It is not a comprehensive look at their development by any means, but he discusses trends and ways that writers and creators build "a myth" and work to keep continuity. Some of the chapters are "Atonement with the Father: Superman" and "Angry All Your Life: Batman." He gives a close reading of three comics, an X-men arc, The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen.

I also read Scott McCloud's Understanding Comics, which I highly recommend. This brings me to a question: has any one read Grant Morrison's Supergods: What Masked Vigilantes, Miraculous Mutants, and a Sun God from Smallville Can Teach Us About Being Human. I keep bumping into it, and it sounds really good.

I'm currently reading Milorad Pavic's The Dictionary of the Khazars: A Lexicon Novel. Here's its blurb from Amazon:

A national bestseller, Dictionary of the Khazars was cited by The New York Times Book Review as one of the best books of the year. Written in two versions, male and female (both available in Vintage International), which are identical save for seventeen crucial lines, Dictionary is the imaginary book of knowledge of the Khazars, a people who flourished somewhere beyond Transylvania between the seventh and ninth centuries. Eschewing conventional narrative and plot, this lexicon novel combines the dictionaries of the world's three major religions with entries that leap between past and future, featuring three unruly wise men, a book printed in poison ink, suicide by mirrors, a chimerical princess, a sect of priests who can infiltrate one's dreams, romances between the living and the dead, and much more.

So far, it is much fun. It is an ergodic novel (I just learned the word). This means it is a grown up version of a choose your own adventure book, a book written to let the reader choose his or her own path. In the introduction, Pavic encourages the reader to skip around and look up words in the book as s/he discovers new ones or to look up the same word in the Jewish, Christian and Moslem sections and compare the explanations.

I also plan to read Michael Chabon's Gentlemen of the Road. I think one of the characters is a Khazar. This impression is what prompted me to pull The Dictionary of the Khazars off my shelf, where it had been unread for 15+ years.

All of this is not leaving much time for WWEnd books, but I did buy Night Circus the other day, and I would really like to find time for it.

Scott Laz
Posted 2012-08-07 2:50 PM (#3956 - in reply to #3904)

Uber User

@Rhonda: The one writer I've stuck with in comics since I first encountered his "Animal Man" DC series in 1989, is Grant Morrison. He goes back and forth between superheroes (he's written Batman, X-Men, Justice League and currently Superman, among others) and his weirder, more personal projects, like The Invisibles Joe the Barbarian, or The Filth. Actually, his superheroes can be pretty weird, too (e.g., Doom Patrol and some of his Batman run), which is why he is a very controversial, though successful, comics writer. Lots of superhero fans think much of his work is too hard to understand. (The usual complaint is that he "must be on drugs", though he's not [anymore :-)] Supergods was also somewhat controversial, being an odd combination of semi-scholarly history of comics and personal musing on his own encounters (sometimes literally, often mystical) with superhero mythology. As a fan of his work, I found it very engaging. As a history of comics, it's selective. As an analysis, again, it's a much more personal take than the academic approach you describe in the Reynolds book. So, possibly with caveats, I'd recommend it. If you have any interest at all in Morrison's comics (if not, start with All Star Superman!), you'll definitely find it interesting.
Switters
Posted 2012-08-09 7:17 AM (#3964 - in reply to #3904)

I'm working on finishing A Dance with Dragons to complete this years Hugo Nominees. I'm a little burned out on the series and I'm looking forward to a couple of years away from it before the next one comes out.

I have a back log of things that I've started and haven't finished, The Dervish House, Barrayar both of which I'm half way through. I have Gateway and Glory Road lined up in audio for the GM Challenge. I'm thinking about picking up The Dispossessed soon.
Rhondak101
Posted 2012-08-09 2:01 PM (#3965 - in reply to #3904)

Uber User

@Scott,
Thanks. I just ILL'ed All Star Superman from a neighboring college library. Our system also has Supergods, which I will order later for fun reading.
Emil
Posted 2012-08-11 11:07 AM (#3971 - in reply to #3904)

Uber User

Finished the last of the GMRC books! I can collect my bundle from Amazon on Monday, so next will be Omon Ra and The Famished Road.

I'm also still reading A Feast of Crows in order to follow with Dance. And am catching up on some Zelazny and Leiber.
Rhondak101
Posted 2012-08-11 2:12 PM (#3972 - in reply to #3904)

Uber User

Yay, Emil! Join the party!
chuhl
Posted 2012-08-11 11:39 PM (#3973 - in reply to #3904)

I'm finally going to read Fahrenheit 451, which I blush to say I haven't read. I saw Truffaut's film, though.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-08-14 4:48 AM (#3984 - in reply to #3904)

Elite Veteran

Just finished Simon GGreen's Daemons are Forever,the fun sequel to The Man with the Golden Torc.Edwin Drood is now head of his treacherous warring family,and has to prevent aliens taking over the earth.As usual Green tosses in fae,vampires,witches,magic armour,Ivor the Time Engine,the ultimate warrior from the future,all higgledy piggledy.Add an attractive couple of protagonists,and a lot of wry humour,and you have a very entertaining read.
Unfortunately,I cant say the same about my current read,Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5..Someone vaguely told me it was about a soldier who can time travel.That is SO a misleading description! lol.I am dragging myself through it,and its 140 pages are taking me three times as long as Green's book of 400.Oh well,at least I will be able to tick it off the lists.Not a BDO in sight.I swear I am gritting my teeth more and more as Vonnegut writes ''and so it goes'' Aarrgghh!!!
Emil
Posted 2012-08-14 7:35 AM (#3986 - in reply to #3984)

Uber User

Hey @Dusty, I loved Slaughterhouse 5, as an absurd anti-war narrative :-)
dustydigger
Posted 2012-08-17 7:38 AM (#3997 - in reply to #3904)

Elite Veteran

The second half of Slaughterhouse 5 is a marked improvement on the first half, where I felt as if I was wading through molasses in slow motion.Now there are more pyrotechnics(oops,pun not intended! )in style,ideas and content.I can get the gist of the themes etc,but I doubt if I will ever reread it,since I could not warm to it.If I want anti-war I will stick to my beloved Catch - 22
Emil
Posted 2012-08-17 9:13 AM (#4000 - in reply to #3997)

Uber User

Here's quite an intriguing interview with Vonnegut about the book. He wrote it like that on purpose.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/specials/133_wbc_archive_new/page...

dustydigger
Posted 2012-08-17 3:43 PM (#4001 - in reply to #4000)

Elite Veteran

Yes,I gathered that and also that Vonnegut used the people in the book pretty much as hooks to hang his ideas off. - obliquely,most of the time,but there is an explicit statement made about it at one point
''There are almost no characters in this story,and almost no dramatic confrontations,because most of the people in it are so sick and so much the listless playthings of enormous forces.One of the main effects of war,after all,is that people are discouraged from being characters.''
A pretty bleak view,but borne out by history,as whole races were reduced to being numbers,and stripped of their humanity .
Just to depress myself even further,I am now reading Richard Matheson's I am Legend.Very good,but not going to end well. lol.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-08-19 9:47 AM (#4005 - in reply to #3904)

Elite Veteran

Damn,it is decades since I read I am Legend,and I forgot how stunning it is. Harrowing,sad,often brutal,but always life affirming - even if that life may not be our human life,but that of our successors
This is an amazingly influential book,inspiring works in several media.Apparently the HWA recently proclaimed it the vampire book of the 20th century,and its well worthy.
I am not quite sure to what extent it can be classed as science fiction,though it does seek to give rational scientific ideas on the source of this vampiric plague.And what a pity none of the film versions does justice to the book.
Its been a bit of a downbeat week,what with Vonnegut and Matheson.Now I am going to find something light and fluffy and relax!
Scott Laz
Posted 2012-08-19 2:06 PM (#4006 - in reply to #4005)

Uber User

Finished Gardner Dozoiss First Annual Years Best Science Fiction last week, with stories from 1983. Lots of great stuff from a good year for short fiction, but a big highlight would be the two Greg Bear novellas--Blood Music and Hardfought--along with Cicada Queen by Bruce Sterling, Monkey Treatment by George R. R. Martin, and especially Ian Watson's Slow Birds. (Review is on the book page.) I got this because it recently became available as an ebook (the early volumes of this series are expensive on the used market), and I just saw an announcement that the rest of the series will be available digitally this fall, which is great news.

The Year's Best Science Fiction: First Annual Collection

I also just finished Margaret Atwoods The Handmaids Tale (1985), and The Gods of Mars (1918) by Edgar Rice Burroughs (the second Barsoom book). For the most part, they couldnt be more different, but strangely enough, they have a common theme: the potentially dangerous power of organized religion. In The Gods of Mars, we learn that the entire religion of Barsoom is a fraud designed to maintain the lifestyle of the white-skinned Therns, who use religious pilgrims for slaves and cannibalism, and whose own religious beliefs are in turn fostered by the Black Martians, who foster the Therns superstitious beliefs in order to prey off of them. Burroughss equation of religious with irrational superstition is palpable. This novel really ups the ante on Princess of Mars. If you like the pulp adventure of Princess, youll love Gods. If you are annoyed by the pulpish deficiencies of Princess, youll see them increased to the point of ludicrousness in Gods. Burroughss books are just the sort of thing Margaret Atwood is thinking of when she refuses to label her own novels as science fiction, but The Handmaids Tale is an SF classic (whether she likes it or not). Its a cautionary tale, extrapolating on the danger to women and society of political power in the hands of religious fundamentalists, portraying the Taliban-like treatment of women following a political coup in the U.S., in response to a fertility crisis. Beautifully written, it is a convincing first-person portrait of a person trying to come to grips with a complete loss of individual agency. Are there really Americans who would like to control womens reproduction as the novel posits? Consider that we have to vote on the Personhood Amendment in Colorado this November for the third time in five years. Atwood posits a scenario in which the proponents of this sort of thing take over completely and suspend the Constitution As an added bonus, reading it will move you closer to completing ten WWEnd lists!

And now for something completely different, Im trying out some Conan stories by Robert E. Howard.

Edited by Scott Laz 2012-08-19 2:10 PM
DrNefario
Posted 2012-08-21 8:32 AM (#4011 - in reply to #3904)

Uber User

I didn't read The Dispossessed next (see above), I somehow ended up reading Way Station by Clifford D. Simak instead - another book which did double duty for the GMRC and the Hugo list. After that I read Sharpe's Fury by Bernard Cornwell, the one that was written after I read the rest of the series, and now I am reading The Dispossessed.
scifigal84
Posted 2012-08-23 3:06 PM (#4022 - in reply to #3904)

I'm currently reading Hyperion - still engrossed and in love with this book - by Dan Simmons and also On Basilisk Station by David Weber. It is safe to assume that I'm hooked on Hyperion, however being so busy of late has left me little time for reading it so hoping to have it finished by the end of this month. On the subject of David Weber, am up to date on his Safehold series but yet to start it but I got distracted by his Honor Harrington series so starting there first. My ever-growing Amazon wishlist has every Honorverse book in it among many other SF/fantasy books I want. I really want to buy Arthur C. Clarke's Rama Omnibus and We Can Remember It For You Wholesale by Philip K. Dick (the latter being more so as the impending cinema release of the 2012 version of Total Recall is imminent) in the coming weeks.

I'm now quite intrigued by Omon Ra now...looks like another one for the list!
dustydigger
Posted 2012-08-26 8:24 AM (#4025 - in reply to #3904)

Elite Veteran

I enjoy military SF,Drake,Bujold,Elizabeth Moon's Heris Serrano,David Feintuch's Seafort saga, - and about the first three Harrington books.After that they just became conspiracy novels,plotting to overthrow space empires etc,very overblown with casts of thousands,Honor's small sections hidden among the politics.So I gave up.I had wanted Hornblower in space,and all I got was political skulduggery.Not to my tste,I'm afraid
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)