open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: A smart machine will first consider which is more worth its while: to perform the given task or, instead, to figure some way out of it. - Stanislaw Lem (The Futurological Congress)
- (Added by: Engelbrecht)

Any Jim Butcher fans here?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> AuthorsMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2012-08-31 3:41 PM (#4078)
Subject: Any Jim Butcher fans here?

Elite Veteran

Silly question really.Jim has announced the publication date of the next Harry Dresden book as 27th November 2012.He has said that his next series will be a Steampunk series called The Cinder Spires tentatively. The first book has the working title of "The Aeronaut's Windlass" and will be of a similar length to The Furies of Calderon (first book in the Codex Alera Series). He plans to have it written by the end of this year after which he will start work on the next Dresden Files book, which will be the fifteen title in this wonderful series.
Confession time - I have never read any steampunk books at all,not sure if it is for me.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Deven Science
Posted 2012-09-03 1:06 AM (#4092 - in reply to #4078)
Subject: Re: Any Jim Butcher fans here?

Uber User

I love, LOVE the Dresden Files books. And I'm not a fantasy guy, really, but Butcher treats the magic of Dresden like physics, so it feels very science fiction to me.

I have not read anything else of his, but my wife did, and she didn't care for the Codex book that she tried at all.

It's funny, because while I like steampunk as an artistic expression (the style and art of it), the few steampunk novels I've read seem to try too hard to fit the established tropes of the genre, which ends up being a little off-putting to me. It's as if I can sense the desperation of the author to hop onto a current trend, hoping for success. One of the exceptions is Mike Resnick's Weird West Tales series, and even that has its moments of trying a little too hard, e.g., everything being made of brass.
jynnantonnyx
Posted 2012-09-04 8:56 AM (#4101 - in reply to #4078)
Subject: RE: Any Jim Butcher fans here?

Uber User

I've read all of the Dresden Files novels, and enjoyed most of them. Butcher's very good at action-adventure writing, and Harry Dresden, Wizard P.I. plays to that strength. We added his upcoming novel Cold Days to the site a week or two ago, and I'm counting down the days to its release. I'm personally less interested in the Dresden magical system (too many deus ex machinas, in my opinion) than in Butcher's ability to incorporate so many bestiaries and legendariums into one fictional world. And despite the jokes being pretty lame, he does at least have a sense of humor.

I just finished the first book in the Codex Alera series, Furies of Calderon, yesterday. Sword and sorcery isn't my thing, but I figured I'd give it a try since I like Butcher's other work. The magical system in that series is strange and never quite explicitly explained, but he pushes the reader to figure it out by a steady stream of examples. I never could understand why humans, who can all control elemental spirits called furies, treat those same elementals as minor deities to be reverenced. Who worships their own slave race?

Steampunk is something I admire from afar, but if Butcher is writing a series I will certainly give it a try.

Marleana
Posted 2012-10-05 4:34 PM (#4210 - in reply to #4078)

I've read the Codex Alera series, loved it. I've read one Dresden book and really liked it. I plan to read more as I can.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-10-06 8:51 AM (#4212 - in reply to #4078)

Elite Veteran

Hi there,Marleana,and welcome to the group.I'm sure you are busy exploring the site,there is so much good stuff on here,and I see you are already adding books.You seem to have a bent towards fantasy,from seeing Moorcock's Elric,and lots of Guy Gavriel Kay,and - naturally - our Prince Corwin saga.I dont read much fantasy,but I fell in love with the Amber series decades ago,and love them.Havent read any G G Kay yet,but I am making up a list of 12 fantasy books to read as a challenge next year,so I may be asking for recommendations.Once again,welcome!
Administrator
Posted 2012-10-06 10:11 AM (#4216 - in reply to #4078)

Admin

I read the first 3 Dresden books and liked them much more than I thought I would. I haven't gone any further because of other books and authors on my list. Like jynnantonnyx I would be interested in his steampunk too.

I'll second the welcome, Marleana! Glad you found us and please let me know if you have any questions about the site.
Marleana
Posted 2012-10-06 11:15 AM (#4217 - in reply to #4216)

Thanks for the welcomes!
jman28
Posted 2012-10-14 3:57 AM (#4249 - in reply to #4078)

Hey dusty,

Just getting into the Dresden Files now, only on the 3rd book. I'm really enjoying it, it's a nice easy read that you can sit back and just relax to. Admittedly I do have a weakness for the older style of detective tv shows/movies with the narration and the series (as far as I've gotten) has a similar feel.

If you give the Codex Alera a read tell me what you think as I'm considering getting into them.

-Jed

Badseedgirl
Posted 2013-03-14 1:41 AM (#4836 - in reply to #4078)
Subject: RE: Any Jim Butcher fans here?

Uber User

I have read everything Mr. Butcher has written, except for "Cold Days" which is sitting on my kitchen table waiting to be read. I very much enjoyed the Codex novels, although they are of George RR Martin size and if you are only used to reading his "breezy" Harry Dresden Novels can seem to be at time off-putting. I found them very satisfying, but my mother did not enjoy them at all, and only got through 1/2 of the fist book. I came across the Codex Alera first, so when I started reading his Harry Dresden Novels, the completely different writing style came as quite a shock.
minervasowl
Posted 2013-05-28 4:03 PM (#5134 - in reply to #4078)

As I recall, I made it through the first five Dresden books, at which point I think I decided that Harry's world was getting to be more complicated than I could wrap my imagination around. It was getting to be a bit soap operatic. (It's a common problem I have with extended series.) I enjoyed the first book so much, however, that I gave copies to at least three different friends and recommended it to more. What I find fun is that I have run into references to Harry in the work of other writers. "I've even heard of one guy in Chicago who advertises in the phone book under 'Wizard,' though that's probably an urban legend."
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)