open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: People who hate in concrete terms are dangerous. People who manage to hate only in abstracts are the ones worth having for your friends. John Brunner, Stand on Zanizbar
- (Added by: Rhondak101)

Won some SF Masterworks
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

DrNefario
Posted 2012-10-24 7:51 AM (#4289)
Subject: Won some SF Masterworks

Uber User

At the end of last week, I took part in a quick competition set by @Gollancz on Twitter to come up with a funny anagram of Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

I'm very pleased to say that I won, and the prize, a stack of SF Masterworks, turned up at work today. Lovely.

My winning anagram was:

Dread spoiler: Deccard is one of them

I'm very pleased.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2012-10-24 8:48 AM (#4290 - in reply to #4289)
Subject: RE: Won some SF Masterworks

Admin

Wow!  That is so cool and I like your anagram.  Congrats on your good fortune but we need more details, please.  What books came in your prize bundle?  Any of the newest books to make the SF Masterworks list?
DrNefario
Posted 2012-10-24 9:50 AM (#4292 - in reply to #4289)
Subject: Re: Won some SF Masterworks

Uber User

I've packed them away in my bag, for transport home, but yes, it did include DG Compton's The Continuous Katherine Mortenhoe, which I think is one the newest ones. There are ten, I think, most of them by Philip K Dick (including Do Androids Dream...), and also The City & the Stars by Arthur C Clarke, Roadside Picnic by Arkady & Boris Strugatsky, and The Dispossessed by Ursula Le Guin (who doesn't seem to have a K any more).

I've read about half of them before, I think - I read the older numbered Masterworks edition of The Dispossessed just a couple of months ago for the GMRC - but I'm not going to argue with free. I'll pass my duplicates on to a good home.
chuhl
Posted 2012-10-24 1:27 PM (#4293 - in reply to #4289)

That anagram is amazing!
justifiedsinner
Posted 2012-10-24 4:01 PM (#4294 - in reply to #4289)

Uber User

Amazing! Do you think Dick meant this? Then again the title would have had to have been Electrick Sheep, but maybe his publishers wouldn't allow that.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2012-10-24 4:06 PM (#4295 - in reply to #4289)

Uber User

On Ursula K. The K is for her maiden name Kroeber. I always pronounce her name the French way (Le Gwon) since her husband was French but an American friend thought this was strange and pronounces it "Le Gwin" . I have no idea which she prefers.
DrNefario
Posted 2012-10-25 7:07 AM (#4296 - in reply to #4289)

Uber User

The PKD books, by the way, were Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, Ubik, A Scanner Darkly, VALIS, The Penultimate Truth and The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch. I already own older editions of the first four, and have definitely read them, but might not have read the last two. It's a good thing they didn't pick Ubik or VALIS to make an anagram out of.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)