open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Grrr whhh aaaah grrr whaa grr aaaaahggr waah - Hulk
- (Added by: whargoul)

What are you reading in November?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

dustydigger
Posted 2012-11-01 9:41 AM (#4310)
Subject: What are you reading in November?

Elite Veteran

Here we go again,a new month,.lots of new books on the agenda. I am on the final book of my 12x12 challenge,and the other day I finished my Birth of a Reader challenge,where I had to read one book from each year since I was born - 1948.It was great fun doing these challenges,which contained 170 different individual books.
At the moment I am reading Amanda Stevens The Restorer ,an excellent urban fantasy book about a woman who does restoration work on old graveyards - and she can see ghosts.Well written,a cut above most of this genre.Stevens apparently is a great lover of the early ghost story writers like Machen.Its good to see someone writing in the old way.Susan Hill is a similar kind of writer.Great to sit down and cuddle up in the warm to enjoy some eerie chills!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
justifiedsinner
Posted 2012-11-01 11:16 AM (#4311 - in reply to #4310)
Subject: Re: What are you reading in November?

Uber User

I count myself very fortunate, with the power back on after 49 hours the worst effects of Hurricane Sandy are over for me. Others are still having a hard time and compared to that the annoyances of lack of gasoline and closed supermarkets are minor. Although I really didn't have much else to do I found it difficult to concentrate on reading. So back to Helliconia Summer when I'm not doing my research on George Bernard Shaw.

Edited by justifiedsinner 2012-11-01 11:17 AM
chuhl
Posted 2012-11-01 3:13 PM (#4312 - in reply to #4310)

I just got Jack Vance's Wyst: Alastor 1716 in the mail, which I'm going to read for the GMRC. And I've got a hold on Robert A. Heinlein : in Dialogue With His Century, Volume 1 (1907-1948): Learning Curve.

Edited by chuhl 2012-11-01 3:16 PM
Switters
Posted 2012-11-02 7:13 AM (#4313 - in reply to #4312)

I've got a few things on the list for this month.

The Curse of Chalion, Lois McMaster Bujold
Waystation, Clifford Simak for GMRC
To Your Scattered Bodies Go, Phillip Jose Farmer for GMRC
Hominids, Robert J. Sawyer
Jonathan Strange and Mr Norell, Susanna Clark
Mirror Dance, Lois McMaster Bujold
Little Brother, Cory Doctorow

I'm trying to decide between The Snow Queen and A Canticle for Leibowitz. I'm leaning towards Leibowitz but can't decide. I think I'm also going to give The Lord of the Rings another go. I've started it numerous times but I've never made it through Fellowship.
DrNefario
Posted 2012-11-02 12:39 PM (#4314 - in reply to #4310)

Uber User

Well, I've bumped L. Sprague de Camp again, for the GMRC, so it looks like he'll be my 12th entry in December. I was originally aiming to read Lest Darkness Fall in October, but read Andre Norton's Forerunner instead, and this time I decided it had been a while since I'd last read a Hugo winner, so decided to go for Connie Willis's Blackout. I expected it to be quite a slow read, which I didn't really mind with other things on my mind this month, but in fact I'm getting through it quite quickly, and enjoying it a lot, so far. I might try to get the second part in this month, too, although I'll maybe want to put something else in between.

I've finished none of my challenges. This is my 48th of 50 books, and my 11th of the 12 Grand Masters. I also still have one of the four Queens of Crime to read (Ngaio Marsh). I'm not expecting any trouble completing any of those. It's all been SF, F and crime for me for months, now, and I'm thinking of throwing in a bit of lit-fic for a change of pace. (And to look sophisticated. )
dustydigger
Posted 2012-11-07 1:48 PM (#4316 - in reply to #4314)

Elite Veteran

Oh yes,one Must look sophisticated,mustn't one? lol.I am sorting my vintage crime thread out for next year.I am continuing with the Allingham books in order,I have about 4 sorted out,thenI also intend to read
Agatha Christie - The Pale Horse
Michael Gilbert - Smallbone Deceased
Erskine Childers - Ridddle of the Sands
Cyril Hare - Tragedy at Law
Georgette Heyer - A Blunt Instrument
Edmund Crispin - The Moving Toyshop
Dashiell Hammett - The Glass Key
Hilary Waugh - Last seen Wearing

That is a pretty good list,and I am closing the gaps of vintage crime read pretty well - if only I could find free reads of Rex Stout and Ellery Queen .
dustydigger
Posted 2012-11-08 1:15 PM (#4321 - in reply to #4310)

Elite Veteran

@ justifiedsinner. - How are you doing with <u> Heliconia Summer </u>. I dont know what it is about Aldiss,I just cant engage with his books.Perhaps I am just not ''literary'' enough.His books always feel so dry to me.I never seem to engage with his characters.Convince me why to read him! I am preparing my reading challenges for next year,this is the time for anyone who is exceptionally enthusiastic about a particular book to get my attention.I am doing a nice conventional 12 x12 challenge,where on of my 12 categories is science fiction.I have to pick 12 great books.There are SOME big obstacles for you if you want to choose some books for me.I HATE philosophical books.so no Olaf Stapledons etc.I love fun character,.so no doom and gloom..I want fun,excitement,and flash bang wallop.lively and exciting.LOL. OK,most of you serious SF aficionadoes have turned away in disgust.Actually.I am only teasing you! I have already chosen my SF theme for the year,''Filling the Gaps''.I have already chosen the 12 SF for my 12x12 Genre challenge on shelfari.Here are the books I have chosen,all golden oldies,filling gaps in individual authors oeuvres.Here are my 12 books ready for next year

Arthur C Clarke - A Fall of Moondust
H Beam piper - Little Fuzzy
Robert A Heinlein - Farmer in the Sky
Robert A Heinlein - Space CadetIsaac Asimov - The Robots of Dawn
Robert A Heinlein - Red Planet
Roger Zelazny - Doorways in the Sand
Roger Zelazny - To Die in Italbar
H.G.Wells - The Island of Dr. Moreau
Isaac Asimov - The Naked Sun
Isaac Asimov - Robots of Dawn
Isaac Asimov - Robots and Empire
Arthur Conan Doyle - The Poison Belt

But I have a challenge devised for WWEnds,covering a variety of genres,plus our Guardian SF/F list challenge Watch this space!

dustydigger
Posted 2012-11-08 1:16 PM (#4322 - in reply to #4310)

Elite Veteran

I am almost finished my SF challenge for 2013 on WWEnds.It is in two parts,actually,one part is the Guardian list,I presume we will be picking 12 books,but will have to wait for more details.Apart from that.I have developed a Pyramid challenge of 45 books to read in the year.More later!

Edited by dustydigger 2012-11-08 1:23 PM
Scott Laz
Posted 2012-11-08 10:53 PM (#4323 - in reply to #4310)

Uber User

Wow, Dusty. Already planning for next year! I'm still hoping to round out this year's GMRC with (probably) Le Guin and Asimov.

Last week I did an impulsive reread of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (blog post forthcoming), and am in the midst of Black Magic by Marjorie Bowen, an odd 1909 supernatural Gothic, and the December 1952 issue of Galaxy--two Sheckleys, and Asimov's "The Deep." Coming soon: Big Planet, by Jack Vance.

I also keep dipping into the latest Year's Best edited by Jonathan Strahan. A couple of days ago I read K. J. Parker's "A Small Price to Pay for Birdsong," which just won the World Fantasy Award. It's a wonderful story, but I'm not sure about the fantasy definition. It's set in an imagined medieval-type setting, but there's really nothing fantastic in it...
dustydigger
Posted 2012-11-14 7:04 AM (#4327 - in reply to #4310)

Elite Veteran

Scott,thank you so much for your excellent and evenhanded article on the Narnia series.Back in the fifties you had to be seven to join the library,and were allowed a princely TWO books.I joined the very day I was seven,and the first books I got out were Magician's Nephew,and the LionThe Witch and the Wardrobe,and I adored them.All that christian symbolism went over my head at the time,and though it is obvious to an adult,it is not so intrusive as to ruin the books..The books were fun and exciting,what more did we want?
Not sure why people try to compare Lewis and Tolkien,if they had been at different places,I doubt if such comparisons would be made.Different aims,different styles,different audiences,different agendas..
Thinking about Lewis getting bashed for daring to put christian themes in a kids book,that was absolutely normal back then.Remember all those victorian books where children were naughty,and almost died,but repented and survived?So commmon.Tolkien was the one who seemed rather alien at first read,with all that Icelandic saga stuff,odd names etc,which may have been common fare in university circles,but barely on the radar elsewhere.At school we were fully conversant with fauns,centaurs,naiads etc from the Greek myths,but we never touched on nordic stuff,apart from,perhaps Thor and his hammmer.
At least the religious themes were rather subtle in Lewis's kids stuff.,Lewis hit us over the head with it in Out of the Silent Planet,and especially,Perelandra! lol
Anyway,thanks aainn for a very good article.
Now,how about a deep,insightful article on The Sword of Shannara? No,no,only joking.But that man has a lot to be blamed for for what happened to fantasy! lol
jfrantz
Posted 2012-11-14 9:03 PM (#4328 - in reply to #4310)

Getting to my very last GMRC author this month with Connie Willis' Doomsday Book! Also finished A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge and should finish Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson too. All heavy-hitters. Oof.
Scott Laz
Posted 2012-11-15 1:28 PM (#4329 - in reply to #4310)

Uber User

@dusty: Thanks for the comment. "Evenhanded" is exactly what I was going for! And you make an excellent point. Kids in 1950 would have been well familiar with Christian morality tales, and Lewis's success came from mixing that aspect with lots of other story pieces they would also have been familiar with, so that the combination seemed both familiar and new at the same time. Agreed that Terry Brooks has a lot to answer for! But if I want to keep covering the history of fantasy, that book has to be grappled with at some point. (I read it when it came out, and it pretty much put me off the genre, but of course it was just what lots of people seemed to want.)

I just finished Black Magic by Marjorie Bowen. It's kind of obscure, but I might try a post on it... I need to get on the ball to finish the two more books I need for the Grand Master Challenge. I'm leaning toward Asimov's End of Eternity next, but have some comics and short stories I want to get to first...

dustydigger
Posted 2012-11-16 2:26 AM (#4330 - in reply to #4310)

Elite Veteran

Would be interested to here about the Bowen book.Mind you,recommendations from Dennis Wheatley arent too encouraging ! lol.Actually,I read quite a few of his books back as a young'un,he was inordinately popular,and there wasnt much on offer in the paranormal side at that time.Talking about paranormal,I have been having fun preparing my 12x12 challenge for next year (read 12 books each from 12 different categories).This year my theme is ''Filling the Gaps''.,andfor my horror I intend to read Castle of Otranto,The Monk,Uncle Silas,and not exactly of that time but similar in feel,Turn of the Screw.Will also be rereading Poe,Lovecraft,Blackwood and Machen,Also,in the fantasy category,guess what is there? Yup,sword of Shannara.I too feel I mustnt avoid this book any longer.
Lots of filling the gaps in the SF thread.I am hovering between Edge of Eternity and The Gods Themselves for Asimov,with The Naked Sun.Also on the agenda,loads of Heinlein juveniles.So lots of great fun lined up in this .genre.Just as well,a lot of big tomes in my classic fiction section,Gone With the Wind.Prayer for Owen Meaneyare only the beginning.
Oh,and you live and learn.I thoroughly enjoyed Amanda Stevens The Restorer about a woman who can see ghosts,and works as a graveyard repairer.I have always loved graveyards,and love seeing the ancient gothic ones in horror films.An excellent book,and I learned a new word - taphophilia,the love of gravyards.I am a taphophiliac,and its nice to know I am not alone.Apparently there are a lot of them about!Loads of fun stuff on the netmso I am getting funny looks from my family
pauljames
Posted 2012-11-17 5:01 AM (#4331 - in reply to #4310)

Veteran

Just started Robin Hobb's Royal Assassin. Will be reading Gene Wolfe's Sword of the Lictor after this, then a Dean Koontz, then a China Mieville, after that probably a scifi from the Masterworks list. Fun times.
Deven Science
Posted 2012-11-21 9:52 AM (#4340 - in reply to #4310)

Uber User

I'm just finishing <u>The Stars My Destination</u>, by Alfred Bester. Up next will probably be some non-fiction, as I try to make every other book out of genre (I try).
DrNefario
Posted 2012-11-23 6:02 AM (#4351 - in reply to #4310)

Uber User

I have too many places to record my reading, at the moment. I thought I'd posted here since the 2nd.

I finished Blackout, and went straight on into All Clear. I really enjoyed the pair of them, although I felt the second part was slightly less good. Since then I've been off the genre reservation with Ngaio Marsh's A Man Lay Dead, and I've just started Life of Pi by Yann Martel.
dustydigger
Posted 2012-11-24 2:52 AM (#4352 - in reply to #4351)

Elite Veteran

The only science fiction related thing I have read this month is Adam Waid's Kingdom Come,which was quite enjoyable.What was it with the nineties tht poor old superheroes,so long invincible confident heroes in their prime turned into bitter,middleaged, depressed neurotics? Havent read anything of a later date.Did 9/11 have any significant impact on comic content.
Yesterday I read a brilliant little pamphlet by Dean Swift for my 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die challenge

<u> Jonathan Swift - A Modest Proposal </u>
Its 1729 in Ireland,heavily burdened under the English government.Grasping absentee landlords squeeze the last penny from their tenants,and heartlessly evict them if they cant pay.A weak economy has no jobs for the poor,there are periodic famines,and as a result there are hordes of beggars and homeless.Naturally this is a major annoyance for the ruling classes,as these useless beggars are a major drain on the authorities.
But Dean Swift has an excellent solution.It will render beggars' children as young as a year old of great use to the nation,will boost the economy,and will even make the desperate poverty stricken parents richer!.Benefits all round.Its a quite modest proposal,with little outlay,but huge benefits- -Ireland should fatten up the beggars babies,butcher them and sell the tasty meat to the rich for their dinner parties,sort of along the line of veal.Brilliant.The beggar children will no longer grow up to have to become thieves to survive,their parents would get paid,and its great all round.
This very short, savage,satire on the unfeeling,uncaring ruling class bites to the bone with the darkest sarcasm,and black humour.It starts so gently and innocuously till the proposal is announced; "A young healthy child well nursed, is, at a year old, a most delicious nourishing and wholesome food, whether stewed, roasted, baked, or boiled; and I make no doubt that it will equally serve in a fricassee, or a ragout."
Swift was a brilliant satarist,boiling with fury with the injustices of his time.I doubt if he was ever more excoriatingly bitter than in these pages.But he slides the knife in the ribs so quietly! You can find this on Project Gutenberg,only a handful of pages long.
I then read James Thurber's The 13 Clocks.A wonderful fairytale,fresh and totally original,written with wit,with lots of hints of other works,including Shakespeare quotes, and an original strongly rhythmic prose which hints at poetry.A delightful read.How many children today though would have the sensitivity and intelligence to grasp this work?
This weekend I MUST sit down and tackle Miller's Batman,its hung around for months

justifiedsinner
Posted 2012-11-24 10:41 AM (#4353 - in reply to #4352)

Uber User

Laid up for Thanksgiving with a virus so I finished Helliconia Spring, The Integral Trees and The Listeners. None of which I really cared for although the Niven wasn't bad. Started on The Fall Revolution quadrology since I'm looking for something with a bit of the future in it for a change.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)