open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Any sufficiently profound magical event is indistinguishable from technology. (Reverse of Clarke's third Law) -- Jeffrey Kripal (The Super Natural)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

The Uplift War - A Question
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

jfrantz
Posted 2012-11-17 12:49 PM (#4332)
Subject: The Uplift War - A Question

An explanation first. As I'm reading through the Hugos at something of a fast pace, I haven't always made sure to read every book in a series in cases like the Uplift Trilogy when the first novels in the series didn't win. I know it's stupid and I hate it, but it happened.

So after reading Startide Rising and The Uplift War, I think I either missed something or it was explained in the first book: Why do some of the other Galatics call humans "wolflings"? I never noticed the explanation and I thought it might have come up in Sundiver.

Also, am I the only one who sees some comparisons to the Halo universe in this series? I have to believe the Bungie team were Brin fans. The Gubru, weapons like "needlers" are just too similar to some parts of the Halo movies or books.

Can you answer my stupid question?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2012-11-17 4:33 PM (#4333 - in reply to #4332)
Subject: RE: The Uplift War - A Question

Admin

For the Uplift Saga it's not really necessary to read them in order since it's not a continuous story.  I read them out of order too.

The Galactics call humans "wolflings" because we alone in the universe managed to evolve on our own without a patron species to uplift us.  Or at least that is the human claim.  Many of the Galactics hold that we were uplifted by a patron race that abandoned us or died out.  Whatever the reason they didn't finish the job.  It's the source of much of the animosity towards humans.  Claiming we did it on our own is like saying we're the equals of the Progenitors, the mythical ancient race that started the whole process a billion years ago, and puts us above many of the oldest and most prestigious races.

I'm not into Halo so I can't speak on any similarities there.  Anybody else know both universes?

jfrantz
Posted 2012-11-17 6:03 PM (#4334 - in reply to #4333)

Hmm... I caught all that but I guess I didn't understand why that meant we were "wolflings". Why am I not getting it?
Administrator
Posted 2012-11-17 6:46 PM (#4335 - in reply to #4334)

Admin

Wolves are cunning, independent and above all dangerous animals that act on instinct?  "Ling" because we're a young species.  I suspect "wolfling" is an approximation for some galactic word that defies direct translation.  Anybody else?
jfrantz
Posted 2012-11-17 8:34 PM (#4336 - in reply to #4335)

I can buy that. It's the kind thing I assumed, but I guess I was worried I might have missed an obvious, explicit explanation from the galatics. The only thing that throws me is that the term was quite often used derogatorily, and I'm not sure how often the anti-human galatics would like to admit that humans are intelligent or dangerous.

Maybe it's just a dumb question. Probably splitting hairs or something at best.
Allie
Posted 2012-11-21 11:43 AM (#4346 - in reply to #4332)
Subject: Re: The Uplift War - A Question

Uber User

I assumed it was referring to the fact that humans were uncivilized and dangerous, in terms of galactic civilization. Most sentient species would be more like dogs-- their species and culture are carefully raised by patron races to be exactly what their patrons want. Humans, lacking any of this guidance, are completely 'undomesticated', like wolves. I also think that the term 'wolfling' is probably a rough translation for a galactic word, as Dave said, since I would assume all the other planets don't have wolves, and galactic languages wouldn't be so metaphoric even if they did.
jfrantz
Posted 2012-11-21 4:35 PM (#4349 - in reply to #4346)

Thanks, I think I'm okay with the untranslatable galactic word. Mostly, I'm glad I didn't miss some explicit explanation.

Dave - So when you do an interview of Brin (because you were planning that right?), I vote for this question (not really, but I should go check the videos section for him).
justifiedsinner
Posted 2012-11-28 10:40 PM (#4357 - in reply to #4332)

Uber User

I believe it's because humans have no sponsor race and are the only space faring race not to have one.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)