open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I cannot live without books. - Thomas Jefferson, 1815
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Trying to find
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

ghan
Posted 2012-12-01 7:13 PM (#4360)
Subject: Trying to find

New User

Hey,
I'm trying to find a Science Fiction short story I read several years ago in some big compilation book I found in a library. A man fought as some kind of super commando/soldier in a war in his far future, he uses some power he picked up in that war to prevent a second rate bad guy from doing something bad. However by doing so he knowingly dooms himself to fight that war all over again because of not clearly explained temporal/dimensional MacGuffins. It had a kind of post apocalypse western feel and the description of how he kills the guy has something to do with how he exists on completely different planes of reality and snaps the threads of existence to this bad guy. I wish I could remember details about it but it was very short and most of what I remember of it is, for lack of a better word, feeling. I know it's not much to go on but this has been driving me nuts for nearly three years now and I haven't got any closer to finding it other than the name of another short story in the same book, 'Breathmoss' by Ian R MacLeod. Even just a list of places that 'Breathmoss' has been published might help. Thanks for any help!

-Ghan
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2012-12-01 8:29 PM (#4361 - in reply to #4360)
Subject: RE: Trying to find

Admin

Hello ghan, and welcome to WWEnd!

I don't recognize the story you're talking about but I looked up Breathmoss online and found where all it has been published:

http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?100457

The list on ISFDB should help you narrow down your search.  Good luck and let us know what you find.

Dave

ghan
Posted 2012-12-02 9:07 AM (#4363 - in reply to #4360)
Subject: Re: Trying to find

New User

HA! That site did the trick. The story I was looking for was "A Dry, Quiet War" by Tony Daniel. Thanks so much for the help!
Administrator
Posted 2012-12-02 9:12 AM (#4364 - in reply to #4363)
Subject: Re: Trying to find

Admin

ghan - 2012-12-02 9:07 AM HA! That site did the trick. The story I was looking for was "A Dry, Quiet War" by Tony Daniel. Thanks so much for the help!

You are most welcome.  Glad it worked out for you.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)