open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I'm not a yellow card. I don't have anything to fear." Hock Seng makes himself smile in return, thinking that she does not know how little anyone cares to separate wheat from chaff, when all anyone wants to do is burn a field. - The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi
- (Added by: Administrator)

James Herbert
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> AuthorsMessage format

pauljames
Posted 2013-03-02 7:29 AM (#4788)
Subject: James Herbert

Veteran

James Herbert is one of my favourite writers and I would like to see more of his books added to the database so I can review them. He has two book series, The Rats, Lair and Domain form one and Haunted, The Ghosts of Sleath and Ash the other. He has also been awarded the Horror Grand Master award. Other books which I would like to see added are Others, Magic Cottage, Portent, Once, The Fog and The Secret of Crickley Hall.

My personal favourite is Others. A poll on his website to find fans favourite was Magic Cottage by a big margin. In total he has 23 books, I have read 15 so still have lots of new books to read before re-reading my favourites. I feel adding more of his books would help as he is often regarded as the best British horror writer. I hugely enjoy his stories and would recommend them to anybody wanting a good scare.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2013-03-10 10:22 AM (#4814 - in reply to #4788)
Subject: Re: James Herbert

Elite Veteran

Paul,I frightened myself silly back in the 80s reading his books.I still remember Haunted,The Dark,and The Fog.I had wanted to read the second David Ash book a while ago,but it wasnt in the library system.I was surprised to see a third one ,Ash came out recently.It seems a bit odd to bring out a book in a series after almost 20 years. I never read The Rats,series,too gruesome for me,so I meandered off onto the less frightening Dean Koontz for a while,then abandoned the whole horror genre.I can watch horror films no problem,but books are a different thing.The horrors are in your head,conjured up partly by your own brain,whereas the film is external.easier to dismiss.If The Magic Cottage is so overwhelmingly popular,I may screw up the courage to try it,once I have finished the about 120 books already on my list for this year!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)