open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before... He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way." - Kurt Vonnegut (Cat's Cradle)
- (Added by: Administrator)

What makes a good review?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

francesashton
Posted 2013-06-17 2:21 PM (#5291)
Subject: What makes a good review?
Quote Reply

Regular

Part of the WoGF is to write a review. OK, so you don't actually have to do so but it helps the site readership overall if people review the books they've read and it's always handy to have a carrot dangling infront of you in the shape of a prize. If you're like me, though, you don't review books. I've never put a review on Amazon (which is where I buy most of my books) and have so far just put my thoughts as "reviews" on this site. What would you consider to be a "good" review?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-06-18 10:21 AM (#5294 - in reply to #5291)
Subject: Re: What makes a good review?
Quote Reply

Uber User

Good question.
mego42
Posted 2013-06-19 8:59 AM (#5304 - in reply to #5294)
Quote Reply

New User

Personally, I appreciate a combination of humor/creativity (WWEnd has a really awesome Night Circus review in which the reviewer sort of has a conversation with themselves and I thought it was hilarious) and thoughtful commentary. If a reviewer likes or dislike something, it's helpful to know why so I can figure out if that reasoning applies to me as well.

Edited by mego42 2013-06-19 9:00 AM
Badseedgirl
Posted 2013-06-19 3:07 PM (#5306 - in reply to #5291)
Subject: RE: What makes a good review?
Quote Reply

Uber User

I like to read reviews that don't try to take themselves too seriously, unless they are discussing serious matters. I also prefer reviews that talk more about the readers impressions and thoughts about the novel and less of a drawn out rehash of the plot. The only exception to that rule would be if there are extreme scenes which could be considered disturbing ie. graphic rape or torture. I don't mean you have to give away a plot point like "person "A" raped person "B" on pages 187-189" but I would prefer to know that there is graphic rape or extreme violence in the book. I have to steal myself to read those types of novels, and I don't like to come upon them unaware. To this day I am still unable to read any new Stephen King, since I read "Under The Dome"

The best thing to tell someone who is nervous about reviewing books is there are no wrong opinions on reviews, because they are your thoughts on a book you read; Influenced by your own experiences. So just start writing.
francesashton
Posted 2013-06-20 1:18 AM (#5307 - in reply to #5306)
Quote Reply

Regular

So to summarise so far: not too much plot (though note if there are potentially disturbing scenes), make sure you explain why you like/dislike something, keep it creative and don't be too serious. Does length matter?
Badseedgirl
Posted 2013-06-20 1:30 AM (#5308 - in reply to #5307)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I don't think length matters, as long as you feel you have said what you wanted to about the book. That said, try to stay away from being to "rambley" . (This is one of my biggest problems!) One of the most best reviews I ever read was only 20 words long. They just have to be the right 20 words.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)