open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Literacy is so you can read the operating instructions. -- Ursula Le Guin's assessment of the value of literacy in America. (The Wave in the Mind)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

What makes a good review?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

francesashton
Posted 2013-06-17 2:21 PM (#5291)
Subject: What makes a good review?
Quote Reply

Regular

Part of the WoGF is to write a review. OK, so you don't actually have to do so but it helps the site readership overall if people review the books they've read and it's always handy to have a carrot dangling infront of you in the shape of a prize. If you're like me, though, you don't review books. I've never put a review on Amazon (which is where I buy most of my books) and have so far just put my thoughts as "reviews" on this site. What would you consider to be a "good" review?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-06-18 10:21 AM (#5294 - in reply to #5291)
Subject: Re: What makes a good review?
Quote Reply

Uber User

Good question.
mego42
Posted 2013-06-19 8:59 AM (#5304 - in reply to #5294)
Quote Reply

New User

Personally, I appreciate a combination of humor/creativity (WWEnd has a really awesome Night Circus review in which the reviewer sort of has a conversation with themselves and I thought it was hilarious) and thoughtful commentary. If a reviewer likes or dislike something, it's helpful to know why so I can figure out if that reasoning applies to me as well.

Edited by mego42 2013-06-19 9:00 AM
Badseedgirl
Posted 2013-06-19 3:07 PM (#5306 - in reply to #5291)
Subject: RE: What makes a good review?
Quote Reply

Uber User

I like to read reviews that don't try to take themselves too seriously, unless they are discussing serious matters. I also prefer reviews that talk more about the readers impressions and thoughts about the novel and less of a drawn out rehash of the plot. The only exception to that rule would be if there are extreme scenes which could be considered disturbing ie. graphic rape or torture. I don't mean you have to give away a plot point like "person "A" raped person "B" on pages 187-189" but I would prefer to know that there is graphic rape or extreme violence in the book. I have to steal myself to read those types of novels, and I don't like to come upon them unaware. To this day I am still unable to read any new Stephen King, since I read "Under The Dome"

The best thing to tell someone who is nervous about reviewing books is there are no wrong opinions on reviews, because they are your thoughts on a book you read; Influenced by your own experiences. So just start writing.
francesashton
Posted 2013-06-20 1:18 AM (#5307 - in reply to #5306)
Quote Reply

Regular

So to summarise so far: not too much plot (though note if there are potentially disturbing scenes), make sure you explain why you like/dislike something, keep it creative and don't be too serious. Does length matter?
Badseedgirl
Posted 2013-06-20 1:30 AM (#5308 - in reply to #5307)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I don't think length matters, as long as you feel you have said what you wanted to about the book. That said, try to stay away from being to "rambley" . (This is one of my biggest problems!) One of the most best reviews I ever read was only 20 words long. They just have to be the right 20 words.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)