open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: You can't get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. -- C.S. Lewis
- (Added by: gallyangel)

What are you reading in December
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-12-02 11:55 AM (#5793)
Subject: What are you reading in December

Uber User

I'm half way through Brasyl and starting on JG Ballard's story collection Chronopolis.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
daxxh
Posted 2013-12-03 1:15 AM (#5794 - in reply to #5793)
Subject: RE: What are you reading in December

Extreme Veteran

I'm trying to finish up the WoGF Challenge. Wish I would have started before the end of August! I just finished Ancillary Justice - excellent book, and Ironskin - ok book. I just started Who Fears Death. Three more for the WoGF after that - probably Mechanique, The Killing Moon, and The Drowning Girl. Twelve hours on a plane should take care of at least two of those. Then I will finally have time to read Iain Banks' The Hydrogen Sonata and Alastair Reynolds' Blue Remembered Earth.
DrNefario
Posted 2013-12-03 4:12 AM (#5795 - in reply to #5793)
Subject: Re: What are you reading in December

Uber User

The System of the World by Neal Stephenson. A 900-page monster I've been putting off for years. And even lied about reading last month (I got sidetracked by Joe Abercrombie's Red Country). It's looking like this might take me the whole month to read.

I was intending to move on to the BSFA award now that I've completed the Hugo, but I was tricked into going for the Locus SF award instead because it looked easy. I only had 10 books to go, and I already owned 4 of them. System of the World, almost 900 pages; Years of Rice and Salt, 750 pages; Ilium, 560 pages; Anathem, I don't know exactly, I have the ebook, but it's not short. It's a trap!
Switters
Posted 2013-12-03 6:15 AM (#5796 - in reply to #5795)

I fell into the same trap as DrNefario with the Locus SF list. I'm working on The Rise of Endymion by Dan Simmons and then either Passage by Connie Willis or The Years of Salt and Rice. I'm also working my way through The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson when I feel like a change of pace.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-12-03 10:03 AM (#5797 - in reply to #5793)

Uber User

The System of the World is interminable. I skimmed through a lot since I really wasn't enjoying it. It is extremely self indulgent. It is neither sci fi, historically accurate or insightful of the period. He seemed intent on writing his own in-joke with little regard to his readership other than a sycophantic fan base.
pauljames
Posted 2013-12-07 9:03 AM (#5802 - in reply to #5793)

Veteran

I have just bought Babel 17. Then I found out the author has just been made Grand Master. This will be my first book by Samuel Delaney.

Before I read it I have lots of horror novels by Dean Koontz, Peter Straub, James Herbert and Clive Barker I to read, also got Hyperion, and I need to finish the mainstream book I am currently on.

With the Christmas holidays coming I am not short on books.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2013-12-07 8:22 PM (#5803 - in reply to #5793)
Subject: RE: What are you reading in December

Uber User

I guess I will try reading off the "Banned Book List" I am half way through the list and I am currently reading Tithe by Holly Black
I still also have several books to read and review for Goodreads.com. My job gets quite a bit busier in the "Holiday Months" so I have less time to read right now. Not to mention that i am scheduled to work 48 hours a week. i really have no time to read this month, but I plan to sneak in books where I can.

Is there any word on what next years reading challenge will be yet? I'm dying to know.
Scott Laz
Posted 2013-12-10 7:46 PM (#5821 - in reply to #5803)

Uber User

I'm also going to have to concentrate on the challenge in order to finish it. Almost through World Fantasy Award winner Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson, beginning The Falling Woman by Pat Murphy, and will probably finish up with A Door into Ocean (Joan Slonscewski) and Lud-in-the-Mist (Hope Mirrlees), but we shall see. I think I had C. L. Moore on there as well... Even with the holiday break coming soon, I may have dug too deep of a hole!
Badseedgirl
Posted 2013-12-10 9:01 PM (#5822 - in reply to #5821)

Uber User

Scott Laz - 2013-12-10 7:46 PM

I'm also going to have to concentrate on the challenge in order to finish it. Almost through World Fantasy Award winner Alif the Unseen by G. Willow Wilson, beginning The Falling Woman by Pat Murphy, and will probably finish up with A Door into Ocean (Joan Slonscewski) and Lud-in-the-Mist (Hope Mirrlees), but we shall see. I think I had C. L. Moore on there as well... Even with the holiday break coming soon, I may have dug too deep of a hole!

Just keep calm and take it one page at a time!

Edited by Badseedgirl 2013-12-10 9:04 PM
DrNefario
Posted 2013-12-11 7:33 AM (#5827 - in reply to #5793)

Uber User

I was holding back the nice and short Tea with the Black Dragon by RA MacAvoy all year, just in case things got tricky near the end. (It was good, too.)

I'm still less than half way through System of the World.
DrNefario
Posted 2013-12-22 10:25 AM (#5861 - in reply to #5793)

Uber User

I've finished System of the World at last. Almost certainly the slowest I've read a book all year. I'm taking a quick detour into murder (Christianna Brand) as a palette-cleanser, then I'm not sure what's next. Some kind of lightweight space opera, maybe.
Administrator
Posted 2013-12-22 11:06 AM (#5863 - in reply to #5861)

Admin

I picked up Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe's Rifles at the bookstore the other day to replace a missing volume on my shelf (I loaned it out and never got it back.) and while I was waiting for the family to finish Christmas shopping I cracked it open to read a few pages.  Well, I finished it that day and immediately moved on to the second book so I guess I'm hooked again and will be reading the whole series including some books that got added after I read it the second time around.  This will take me well into January!  If you like historical fiction with lots of action you should look into this one.
DrNefario
Posted 2013-12-23 12:29 PM (#5864 - in reply to #5793)

Uber User

I enjoyed the Sharpe books. I recently gave away all my paperbacks, figuring I wasn't likely to read them again. I have the third and fourth of his Starbuck (US civil war) books lined up for when I'm in the mood. It's not a war I know much about, being British, and I don't want to spoiler myself by learning too much actual history.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)