open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest." - Isaac Asimov
- (Added by: Administrator)

Welcome!
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Administrator
Posted 2014-01-07 12:37 PM (#5904)
Subject: Welcome!
Quote Reply

Admin

Welcome to the WWEnd Roll-Your-Own Reading Challenge.  If you haven't read it yet, check out our challenge intro blog post for the story and the challenge page itself for the details.  If you have any questions or comments about the challenge over all ask them here.

As new challenges get created their hosts will start individual threads here so you can ask your challenge specific questions in those.

Join in a challenge or roll your own and happy reading!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Thomcat
Posted 2014-01-07 1:06 PM (#5905 - in reply to #5904)
Subject: RE: Welcome!
Quote Reply

Excellent!

I joined the site in late 2012, so I am glad to get my first crack at the Grand Master reading challenge.

One I considered giving myself last year was to start a big series. There are more than a few I have never read - Game of Thrones, Dune, Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle. To that end I just read Foundation for the first time - plenty more in that series.

Good luck to all in 2014 - I look forward to reading your reviews!
HRO
Posted 2014-01-07 2:17 PM (#5912 - in reply to #5904)
Subject: Re: Welcome!
Quote Reply

Uber User

The blog post says" "Take a look at the RYO reading challenges on our list and find one thats right for you." I can't find the list of challenges?
Thomcat
Posted 2014-01-07 2:20 PM (#5913 - in reply to #5912)
Quote Reply

Go to this page
https://www.worldswithoutend.com/rollyourown_challenge.asp

and select your challenge - 1 of 2 currently. Or suggest a new one here in the forum... it might become #3
https://www.worldswithoutend.com/rollyourown.asp?ryo_id=3

Edited by Thomcat 2014-01-07 2:21 PM
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-07 2:20 PM (#5914 - in reply to #5912)
Quote Reply

Admin

HRO - 2014-01-07 2:17 PM The blog post says" "Take a look at the RYO reading challenges on our list and find one thats right for you." I can't find the list of challenges?

Click the big logo to get to the challenge page then scroll down.  There are only 2 RYOs so far:  GMRC and WoGF.  Perhaps I should label that section.

Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-01-07 2:23 PM (#5915 - in reply to #5904)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Ok, now that I have picked my challenge (Grandmasters, because I joined last year and missed it the first time) how do I add books to my list? I did not get any handy dandy check boxes like I had last challenge.
HRO
Posted 2014-01-07 2:26 PM (#5916 - in reply to #5914)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Thanks! I guess I missed it because I was looking for a list, not icons. Doh.
Thomcat
Posted 2014-01-07 2:29 PM (#5917 - in reply to #5915)
Quote Reply

Guessing that the author addition is still being worked on; I was able to add a book by adding it to my reading list and then checking the box.

To add my own request - authors that I have read are shaded on the Science Fiction grandmasters list; looks like the Horror Grandmasters list ( https://www.worldswithoutend.com/authors_horror_grandmasters.asp ) does not have this feature. Yet.

Edited by Thomcat 2014-01-07 2:33 PM
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-07 3:07 PM (#5918 - in reply to #5915)
Quote Reply

Admin

Badseedgirl - 2014-01-07 2:23 PM Ok, now that I have picked my challenge (Grandmasters, because I joined last year and missed it the first time) how do I add books to my list? I did not get any handy dandy check boxes like I had last challenge.

To make the BookTrackr work for all challenge we took out the author tag part.  Now you just go to the novel page, add it to your reading list then check all the RYOs that apply and hit submit.  I'm doing WoGF and GMRC so I was able to find 2 books from women Grand Masters that will work for both challenges.

Administrator
Posted 2014-01-07 3:10 PM (#5919 - in reply to #5917)
Quote Reply

Admin

Thomcat - 2014-01-07 2:29 PM Guessing that the author addition is still being worked on; I was able to add a book by adding it to my reading list and then checking the box. To add my own request - authors that I have read are shaded on the Science Fiction grandmasters list; looks like the Horror Grandmasters list ( https://www.worldswithoutend.com/authors_horror_grandmasters.asp ) does not have this feature. Yet.

Author addition has been disabled for simplicity.  Fixing the Horror GM list is on our list of edits.  I think it just moved up the priority list since we really need it now with this new challenge.

HRO
Posted 2014-01-07 3:30 PM (#5920 - in reply to #5918)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Administrator - 2014-01-07 4:07 PM

To make the BookTrackr work for all challenge we took out the author tag part. Now you just go to the novel page, add it to your reading list then check all the RYOs that apply and hit submit. I'm doing WoGF and GMRC so I was able to find 2 books from women Grand Masters that will work for both challenges.

I'm not getting any RYO box to check when I add a book to my reading list. (Apparently I'm a Luddite today.)
charlesdee
Posted 2014-01-07 3:41 PM (#5921 - in reply to #5904)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I created my Challenge but still no luck transferring a book onto it. I choose a book, put it on my reading list, and then I do what?
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-07 3:55 PM (#5922 - in reply to #5921)
Quote Reply

Admin

On the novel page in the BookTrackr section there is a list of all the challenges you're signed up for that looks like this:

Check "Add to My Reading List" first then check the proper challenge.  If you are logged in and don't see that section let us know.

Whargoul just told me he tweaked something so it should be there now if it wasn't before.  Refresh that page and try again.  Thanks.
whargoul
Posted 2014-01-07 4:02 PM (#5923 - in reply to #5904)
Quote Reply

Admin

OOPS!

There was a hiccup that was preventing some people from adding books to their challenges but it should be corrected now.

No matter how much you try, there's always kinks during a release.
DrNefario
Posted 2014-01-07 4:07 PM (#5924 - in reply to #5904)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Looks great. I have an idea for a challenge that should fit in well with others, but it'll have to wait until I have some time tomorrow.

Edit: Oh, and for some reason, the image(?) at the top of this thread doesn't seem to load for me.

Edited by DrNefario 2014-01-07 4:08 PM
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-07 4:19 PM (#5925 - in reply to #5924)
Quote Reply

Admin

DrNefario - 2014-01-07 4:07 PM Looks great. I have an idea for a challenge that should fit in well with others, but it'll have to wait until I have some time tomorrow. Edit: Oh, and for some reason, the image(?) at the top of this thread doesn't seem to load for me.

I'm really interested to see what kind of challenges come up.  Charles Dee hit on the translated works already which is a really cool idea.  I'm looking forward to yours, Dr.

Thomcat pointed out the image problem AND the solution in a PM so it's fixed now.  Thanks ya'll!

Thomcat
Posted 2014-01-07 4:39 PM (#5926 - in reply to #5925)
Quote Reply

Administrator - 2014-01-07 2:19 PM

I'm really interested to see what kind of challenges come up.

You are welcome, of course. Here is my half-formed idea, which could also be promoted during the summer months -

Young Adult novels challenge

Not sure if the existing database has (or needs) categories for it, but there is at least one YA list (David Brin) and one YA award (Locus) already on the site. Not sure how many YA users this site has, but maybe offer a "reduced" challenge for Summer reading?
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-07 4:45 PM (#5927 - in reply to #5926)
Quote Reply

Admin

Here is my half-formed idea, which could also be promoted during the summer months - Young Adult novels challenge Not sure if the existing database has (or needs) categories for it, but there is at least one YA list (David Brin) and one YA award (Locus) already on the site. Not sure how many YA users this site has, but maybe offer a "reduced" challenge for Summer reading?

I think that's a great idea for a challenge.  If you build it, they will come!  "Thomcat's Killer YA Summer Reading Challenge"

HRO
Posted 2014-01-07 6:17 PM (#5929 - in reply to #5904)
Quote Reply

Uber User

My idea for a challenge: faerie mythology.

(Male or female authors, doesn't have to be a new-to-you author. And I know of at least one series that qualifies, so I'm thinking maybe allowing more than 1 book in a series?)

Now I have to go check to see if any of the books I have planned are in the WWEnd database.....
Dlw28
Posted 2014-01-07 10:18 PM (#5932 - in reply to #5904)
Quote Reply

Extreme Veteran

This should be a fun set of challenges!

I'm logged in and the book I'm reading has the challenge listed that I want to credit the book to-but I can't tick the box. What am I doing wrong?
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-07 10:53 PM (#5933 - in reply to #5932)
Quote Reply

Admin

Add the book to your reading list first to activate the RYO check boxes. 
spoltz
Posted 2014-01-08 1:04 AM (#5934 - in reply to #5904)
Subject: The "I just HAVE to read more of that author" Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

I think I've come up with an idea that's been percolating between the WOGF challenge and my own challenge to read all the Hugos: Did you discover an author in a past challenge or in the past few years and think, "I just HAVE to read more of that author," but your reading list is so long, you haven't gotten to it? Maybe you want to immerse yourself in one author. Pick 12 books by authors you recently discovered and read another one of their works. Perhaps 12 books by Ursula LeGuin, or another book by every author you read during WOGF or Grand Masters. Write 12 reviews in 12 months and have fun!

But I need help. I haven't figured out where I create the challenge.

Thanks!

Steve
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-01-08 1:29 AM (#5935 - in reply to #5926)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Thomcat - 2014-01-07 4:39 PM

Young Adult novels challenge

?

I would totally do a YA challenge. I was thinking of trying to complete the Locus YA awards and this would fit nicely.

Edited by Badseedgirl 2014-01-08 1:30 AM
thecynicalromantic
Posted 2014-01-08 6:43 AM (#5938 - in reply to #5904)
Quote Reply

I was thinking of repeating the WOGF one (I joined in July and ended up only reading 11... so close!) but so many of those 11 authors were series authors, I'm definitely going to do the Read the Sequel one instead. I think I'm also going to do the Authors of Color challenge. I'm tempted to pick a third but since I'm also a member of three book groups IRL (and, you know, have to work and stuff) I think that'd be overdoing it. (Otherwise I would be sooo up for a YA challenge.) There are just so many good challenge ideas!

Will there be a thread where we can request adding books to the database like there was for the WOGF 2013?
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-08 7:16 AM (#5940 - in reply to #5934)
Subject: RE: The "I just HAVE to read more of that author" Challenge
Quote Reply

Admin

spoltz - 2014-01-08 1:04 AM I think I've come up with an idea that's been percolating between the WOGF challenge and my own challenge to read all the Hugos: Did you discover an author in a past challenge or in the past few years and think, "I just HAVE to read more of that author," but your reading list is so long, you haven't gotten to it? Maybe you want to immerse yourself in one author. Pick 12 books by authors you recently discovered and read another one of their works. Perhaps 12 books by Ursula LeGuin, or another book by every author you read during WOGF or Grand Masters. Write 12 reviews in 12 months and have fun! But I need help. I haven't figured out where I create the challenge. Thanks! Steve

Hey Steve, it sounds like daxxh's Read the Sequel challenge might be what you're looking for.

To create your own challenge just click the big "Roll-Your-Own" button in the right sidebar on the challenge page.  Don't forget that you can create your own personal challenge too and mark it private.  For instance, for your Hugo goal you can make a personal challenge to read 50 Hugos this year and fill it up with the books you intend to read.  Of course, a Hugo challenge would be a popular idea though you might have to make it fewer books to keep it attractive to other members.

So far all the challenges are just 12 books which is cool since that means you can probably choose more than one.  I'm on 2 so far and already I want to do the In Translation and Masterworks challenges.  And it's only going to get worse as you guys keep making more cool challenges!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)