open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Earth is the cradle of the mind-but you cannot live in the cradle forever. - Tsiolkovsky
- (Added by: gallyangel)

2014 Masterworks Reading Challenge
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

Deven Science
Posted 2014-01-22 9:01 PM (#6210 - in reply to #5937)
Subject: Re: 2014 Masterworks Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

A couple of people have already completed two books! Congrats. I remember when I used to read that fast. That was before the dissemination of the internet, which takes up more of my time each day than I'd like to admit. That was also when I was single. I would sit in my living room reading all night before I was married!

Enough reminiscing. I'm working on two now, and hoping to be on track for one a month.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2014-01-23 4:22 AM (#6212 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

I'm with you ,Michael,on not really enjoying the literary SF all that much.I dont WANT the style to be so obtrusive,waiing to be admired as it were.It just gets in the way of the''shoot-em-ups in space.Some of the old writers were very pedestrian in their style,,you couldnt say that Clarke or Asimov dazzled you with their fine wordsBut they sure enough were brimful of ideas and action.I ploughed through China Mieville's Embassytown recently and greeted the end with ''And? So?'' Had ten times as much pleasure reading David Brin's Startide Rising!
As for Androids,I saw the film first anyway,which I usually avoid if possible,since they usually diverge so much, and naturally found the book a bit of a letdowwn.
@ Deven Science - I used to read a lot more too.Then the eyes started to go with old age,and I couldnt read in poor light or for long periods.Then my son moved home,my daughter moved to a house less than 50 yards away,and I now have a influx of visitors every day,so the reading is down by at least two hours a day.The computer was areal competitor to reading,but that has lessened a bit - simply because I have to wrestle the laptop off my son if I want to use it.He even takes it to bed with him!.
I can really see the advantages of hermits shutting themselves off from the world.Would be nice,if only I could have unlimited books and the internet.Perhaps I would then get round to reading the SF Masterworks.I've only read 40 of the 132. Shame on me......but I do prefer rip roaring adventure!

Edited by dustydigger 2014-01-23 4:36 AM
Deven Science
Posted 2014-02-16 12:32 PM (#6478 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

With the motivation of this challenge, I've already completed three books in the challenge (and one not in the challenge, as I'm still trying to squeeze in some non-fiction). Thanks for the push, my friends!

There are a couple of others that have three completed, and one member has four! Good job. A few people either haven't finished one yet, or simply haven't marked any as read. I encourage you to do both. This post is my attempt to make this more interactive.

Also, as I've stated elsewhere on this site, I would like to encourage everyone to mention your star ratings in your review that you're writing. I read a review of The Sirens of Titan, since that is the one I'm reading now, and I still have no idea if he liked the book or not.
francesashton
Posted 2014-02-17 1:11 PM (#6492 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Regular

I'm finding that the challenges are forcing me to put what is basically on my "to be read" pile in a more structured order. I'd already had my three masterworks books on the shelf to read and always picked up something else first. Now I read them first and when you've got a pile of books that's as big as mine, anything that orders them for you is a Good Thing!
ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-02-17 8:22 PM (#6493 - in reply to #5937)
Subject: RE: 2014 Masterworks Reading Challenge
Quote Reply

After about a month and a half into the Roll Your Own reading challenge, things seem to be going quite well for the Masterworks Reading Challenge.  We have 46 subscribers who have read a total of 50 books, with about 40% of them have new reviews.  Also, the forum seems fairly active.  So All is Well with the Masterworks Challenge. (thanks to all of you).

As for me, I am almost done with my second book on my Masterworks list: The Book of the New Sun, Volume 1: Shadow and Claw.   (which in reality is two books in a single volume).  I will probably not move into volume 2 immediately, instead electing to read something a little "lighter" for a couple of months.  While I am not saying I don't like the books, but Gene Wolfe is a master at words, and these books are quite meaty. 

The upside, however, is that like many others, I am participating in another challenge (12 awards in 12 months) and each of the books in the series won different awards, so Volume 1 counts as two books in that challenge.

Keep up the Great Work
Michael 

Edited by ILikeMaps 2014-02-17 8:25 PM
EricLandes
Posted 2014-02-20 9:24 PM (#6525 - in reply to #6041)
Quote Reply

I've gone for the same two challenges you have, and I think I got it down to 15 total books. I might have done it in 14, but I was already halfway through one of the Locus YA SF winners, and figured I'd just count that one.

What got hard for me was finding award winners also on the Masterworks lists that I hadn't already read.
ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-02-21 1:00 PM (#6539 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

I have it down to 15 or 16 books (depending on what I decide to read).

I have lots and lots of award winners that I haven't read, so finding books is not as difficult.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-02-25 2:13 AM (#6589 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

just realized that I had not posted on this forum when I signed up for the challenge, so I have missed the entire discussion so far. I have signed up for 5 challenges, and have chose to go in the opposite direction. I want to read 57 separate novels for the challenges, no duplicates at all. Matters are helped along in that one of the challenges I am attempting is the YA challenge, and I have chosen 3 YA novels for one of my "The Number Shall Be three" series. Oh yeah and I am doing Discworld for the "One World To Rule Them All Challenge".
ILikeMaps, no one is as shallow a reader as I am. I have no less than 4 zombie novels in my various challenges, it will be 5 if I can snag a copy of "Exit Kingdom" by Alden Bell before the end of the year. Oh yeah, I forgot I also read Parasite by Mira Grant which was a zombie novel that wasn't. I take great pride in the fact that I love to read crap. I get just as much enjoyment from Gail Carriger as I do from Robert Heinlein. And I'm not ashamed to admit it!
francesashton
Posted 2014-02-25 1:26 PM (#6591 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Regular

I appear to have accidentally read a Masterworks book without realising it! I picked up Kate Wilhelm's And Late the Sweet Birds Sang second hand which wasn't in the masterworks livery. So along with an also second-hand omnibus of The Forever War set I'm actually doing quite well with this challenge. Don't mention the reviews though - I've not done any of those and I'll admit I'd rather not. I hate writing reviews.

On the "shallow" theme I've just finished Parasite and am looking forward to seeing what happens next. I've also shifted slightly towards some romantic stuff and been reading Jayne Castle's Rainshadow Island books which at 1 book a day won't take long to finish off.
EricLandes
Posted 2014-02-25 1:30 PM (#6592 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

I used to try to write reviews on my blog. Then I realized what I was actually writing were reactions. So, I started calling them "reactions" and they were much easier to write. Not that I've really done any in a couple years in any case.

On the "shallow" theme, I've got a weakness for RPG-based books. I just went through a two-month binge read of a bunch of Pathfinder Tales books, novellas, and short stories. I've also read a number of the Forgotten Realms and Shadowrun books. Not EVERYthing can be deep and heavy...
ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-02-26 5:33 PM (#6593 - in reply to #6589)
Quote Reply

Badseedgirl - 2014-02-24 3:13 AM -  just realized that I had not posted on this forum when I signed up for the challenge, so I have missed the entire discussion so far. I have signed up for 5 challenges, and have chose to go in the opposite direction. I want to read 57 separate novels for the challenges, no duplicates at all.

Oh My - 57 books, I only hope I can make my 15-16.

Badseedgirl - 2014-02-24 3:13 AM -  ILikeMaps, no one is as shallow a reader as I am. I have no less than 4 zombie novels in my various challenges .... . And I'm not ashamed to admit it!

Although I am not a Zombie reader, I love a good mindless spy adventure.  Happy to know that I am not alone in imbibing in cheesy reads every so often.     

If anyone wants to recommend a great spy sci-fi, I would love to hear recommendations. 

ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-02-26 5:47 PM (#6594 - in reply to #6591)
Quote Reply

francesashton - 2014-02-24 2:26 PM - I appear to have accidentally read a Masterworks book without realising it! I picked up Kate Wilhelm's And Late the Sweet Birds Sang second hand which wasn't in the masterworks livery. So along with an also second-hand omnibus of The Forever War set I'm actually doing quite well with this challenge.

I love when things like that happen.  I really enjoyed The Forever War, Hope you do to.   Also, I have Kate Wilhelm's book on my list to read as well.  Post your opinion on the forum when you are done, I would love to hear your thoughts ...

francesashton - 2014-02-24 2:26 PM - Don't mention the reviews though - I've not done any of those and I'll admit I'd rather not. I hate writing reviews.

... and when you have let me know what you think about And Late the Sweet Birds Sing ---- copy the sentence or two you wrote in the forum, and paste in your review section under the book.  -- you have just completed a review. 

Frankly I hate doing reviews as well - that is why I had only six in the challenge.  I agree, the reviews, not the reading is the real challenge. 

ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-02-26 5:50 PM (#6595 - in reply to #6592)
Quote Reply

EricLandes - 2014-02-24 2:30 PM - On the "shallow" theme, I've got a weakness for RPG-based books. I just went through a two-month binge read of a bunch of Pathfinder Tales books, novellas, and short stories. I've also read a number of the Forgotten Realms and Shadowrun books. Not EVERYthing can be deep and heavy...

Now that brings up old memories.  I used to play D&D a long time ago (probably more years than I care to admit).   I also read some of the early novels as well.  Nice to hear everyone here has a closet "shallow book" habit. 

Rhondak101
Posted 2014-02-26 8:03 PM (#6600 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

While we are confessing...my new one is Doctor Who novels, not the novelizations, but the ones that appeared during the "wilderness years." I've just picked up the habit. Any other readers out there?
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-02-26 8:48 PM (#6601 - in reply to #6600)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Although I'm a big Doctor Who fan (I saw and still remember the first episode) I have never read one of the books. I do possess, however, Terry Nations's 'The Dalek Pocketbook and Space Traveler's Guide'.
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-02-26 9:11 PM (#6602 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Justifiedsinner, that's really cool. I didn't know that book existed.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-02-26 10:48 PM (#6604 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Yup, me and the Doc go way back!
EricLandes
Posted 2014-02-28 4:45 PM (#6622 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

So, back on the inability to write reviews... I just wrote a haiku review.
EricLandes
Posted 2014-02-28 7:00 PM (#6627 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Guest - 2014-02-28 4:57 PM

Please share!

You asked for it!

https://www.worldswithoutend.com/novel_review.asp?ID=4261
Posted 2014-02-28 7:38 PM (#6628 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Not bad!! I loved that book years ago. I'm guessing it may be a bit dated now.
Posted 2014-02-28 7:46 PM (#6629 - in reply to #6628)
Quote Reply

Guest - 2014-02-28 7:38 PM

Not bad!! I loved that book years ago. I'm guessing it may be a bit dated now.

Thanks!

And, I never said I was a good haiku writer. It was just an idea that came to me after a two-beer Friday lunch.

Also, the book's not as dated as you think. It's aged a lot better than other pre-1980 scifi.
ILikeMaps
Posted 2014-02-28 9:18 PM (#6630 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Eric

Great - 1 down and 5 to go. Thanks for sharing, I will probably read this one for March.

Cheers
Michael
Michael
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-02-28 10:10 PM (#6631 - in reply to #5937)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Love it. Poetic reviews , the solution to my problems. How about (for the same book):

No clone
Is alone
Can't change
Lack Range
Normal nookie
Wins the cookie
EricLandes
Posted 2014-02-28 10:26 PM (#6632 - in reply to #6630)
Quote Reply

ILikeMaps - 2014-02-28 7:18 PM

Eric

Great - 1 down and 5 to go. Thanks for sharing, I will probably read this one for March.

Cheers
Michael
Michael

Actually, I wrote a lengthier, more traditional review for Little, Big (in which I rambled a lot. Kind of like the house at Edgewood. and the story itself). So, three books down, two reviews written. I didn't write one for Flowers for Algernon.
EricLandes
Posted 2014-02-28 10:27 PM (#6633 - in reply to #6631)
Quote Reply

justifiedsinner - 2014-02-28 8:10 PM

Love it. Poetic reviews , the solution to my problems. How about (for the same book):

No clone
Is alone
Can't change
Lack Range
Normal nookie
Wins the cookie

That's just brilliant.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4 5 6
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :