open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: In the deep silence of midnight, the universe revealed itself to its listeners as a vast desolation. - Cixin Liu (The Three-Body Problem)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

What Are You Reading In March?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-03-01 7:09 PM (#6643)
Subject: What Are You Reading In March?

Uber User

I have decided to go off challenges for the time being and due a little of the "shallow" reading we were discussing over on the "2014 Masterwork Reading Challenge forum here:
https://www.worldswithoutend.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=8...

I am currently reading "Rotters" by Daniel Kraus - which is neither shallow or fun, but describes some of the most horrific examples of bullying I have ever read

I'm also reading "Plague Town" by Dana Fredsti

On Deck:
Chosen by Ted Dekker

Other than that we will just have to see where the winds carry me. For the first time since I joined this site I have no plans. I blame "The Sims 3" I just found my disc and have been falling back in love with being the God of my own little world Muah! Ha! Ha! Ha!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-03-02 9:17 AM (#6649 - in reply to #6643)
Subject: RE: What Are You Reading In March?

Uber User

I only managed to read two of my six Feb. books, but I read several others. I'm terrible at predicting what my mood will be. For March, I'm already reading Lem's Solaris. I'd like to read Watership Down and The Handmaid's Tale, the last one counts for many of my challenges. I also need to read one of my long ones, so that they are not all left to the end--maybe Hyperion or Drood.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-03-02 9:23 AM (#6650 - in reply to #6643)
Subject: Re: What Are You Reading In March?

Uber User

Rhondak101: I read Drood last month, and it's wordiness was my major complaint. Good luck with that.
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-03-02 9:34 AM (#6651 - in reply to #6643)

Uber User

Badseedgirl: I've stared Wilkie Collins' Woman in White twice and never finished it. If Simmons is trying to mimic Collins' style, then I might be in big trouble!
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-03-02 11:07 AM (#6654 - in reply to #6643)

Uber User

Rhondak101: That is so funny because after reading Drood I went and looked up Woman in White and my copy is sitting in my digital to read pile. I'm glad I got it for free from the Gutenberg project!

Edited by Badseedgirl 2014-03-02 11:09 AM
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-03-02 11:39 AM (#6655 - in reply to #6654)

Uber User

Finishing off 'Little, Big'. Up next 'Beggars and Choosers' and 'Lavondyss'
daxxh
Posted 2014-03-06 11:15 AM (#6680 - in reply to #6655)

Extreme Veteran

I finished George Washington's Secret Six and am now back to SciFi. I am currently reading Maelstrom, sequel to Starfish, by Peter Watts. This is a case where the sequel is actually better then the first book. I may have to read the next two in the series sooner than I had planned.

I got Fire With Fire, The Golem and the Jinni, and Great North Road from the library. Since I don't own these and books for The 35 Challenge should be ones I own, I signed up for the Pick and Mix Challenge to have somewhere to put these.
dustydigger
Posted 2014-03-09 4:17 AM (#6693 - in reply to #6680)

Elite Veteran

My books in the WWEnd arena for this month include
Michael Bishop - Transfigurations (for Masterworks challenge)
Marissa Meyer - Cress (for YA challenge)
Peter F Hamilton - The Nano Flower (another site challenge,read a SF mystery/crime book)
Holly Black - Tithe /Valiant / Ironside (Faerie Mythology)
Alistair Reynolds - Revelation Space (Masterworks)

The Bishop,Reynolds and Hamilton are all demanding and/or very long,so I have my work cut out.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2014-03-09 9:43 AM (#6695 - in reply to #6643)

Uber User

dustydigger - I really was unable to say anything nice about Tithe. IMO it was just a bad, bad, book. That being said, I've never been all that keen on fantasy. For some reason I just could never get that into it. On the plus side, it was a super quick read.
Scott Laz
Posted 2014-03-09 5:43 PM (#6697 - in reply to #6695)

Uber User

Just finished Lord Dunsany's The King of Elfland's Daughter. Up next should be Paul Park's Soldiers of Paradise. Also finished ERB's Thuvia, Maid of Mars on audio, and just listened to three hours of The Fellowship of the Ring while snowshoeing this morning. I read LOTR when I was 13, but not since (and that was a looong time ago!). I understand some people quite like it...

Spring break starts 3/17, so I'm hoping to do a couple of posts for the site this month...
DrNefario
Posted 2014-03-10 8:57 AM (#6701 - in reply to #6643)

Uber User

I've decided to focus heavily on the WoGF at the moment, so I've finished Soulless by Gail Carriger and The Riddle-Master of Hed by Patricia A McKillip so far this month. I was intending to go on to God's War by Kameron Hurley next, but when I settled down to read it, I found that I hadn't actually copied it to my Nook ereader (I have three, it's not always easy to keep track), so I started A Door Into Ocean by Joan Slonczewksi instead. The thing all four of those have in common is that they also count for the Book of Ones challenge.

I'm not all that sure what I'll feel like next. I really want to carry on with the Riddle-Master trilogy after that somewhat abrupt ending to book 1, but maybe I'll be in the mood for something else.
ArchangelAlan
Posted 2014-03-15 11:18 PM (#6718 - in reply to #6643)

I cannot stop reading Gene Wolfe. I love him. He is a genius for sure.

In the last few months, I've read:

Shadow of the Torturer
Claw of the Conciliator
Sword of the Lictor
Citadel of the Autarch
Urth of the New Sun
The Sorcerer's House
An Evil Guest
Pirate Freedom
The Fifth Head of Cerberus
Various Stories from Innocents Aboard
The Knight
The Wizard

Those are all by Gene Wolfe. Next Will be Peace and then Home Fires or vice-versa. I may read more of his short stories first.

francesashton
Posted 2014-03-16 2:33 PM (#6719 - in reply to #6643)

Regular

March so far has been taken up with Brandon Sanderson's Words of Radiance. What an epic door-stop of a book! I'm a fast reader and it still took over 2 weeks to read. Now I'm back to normality and have just finished Neil Gaiman's Coraline for the YA challenge. Catching up on my Charlaine Harris for a bit of a breather then I will probably tackle either Dhalgren or The Dispossessed for the Masteworks challenge.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)