open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: When it comes to the point where you occasionally look forward to being in prison on the basis that you might be able to spend a day reading a book, the realization dawns that perhaps the situation has become a little more stressful than you would like. - Julian Assange
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Book Club
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

Oaks Lab
Posted 2014-04-01 2:36 PM (#6803)
Subject: Book Club

I know we have the reading challenges but ever thought of starting a WWE Book Club. Like a fantasy and a SF title chosen for each month?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2014-04-01 3:14 PM (#6806 - in reply to #6803)
Subject: RE: Book Club

Admin

Oaks Lab - 2014-04-01 2:36 PM I know we have the reading challenges but ever thought of starting a WWE Book Club. Like a fantasy and a SF title chosen for each month?

Actually, that was one of our first thoughts for the RYO.  We were hoping that some existing book clubs might use the RYO to track their activities.  You can easily set up a challenge for a club and the organizer can add the books to his/her list as they get voted/decided upon and the rest of the club members can just copy the same books to their own lists. 

The only difference between a regular challenge and a club challenge is that everyone would read the same books at the same time rather than pick their own books for the theme.  The challenge page would have the same exact list of books for everyone in the club.  And of course the club could use the forum to host their discussions and set up polls for club members to vote for next month's book etc.

I love the idea but I don't have time to organize an "official WWEnd book club" but that's the beauty of the RYO.  Anyone can start a club and use the site tools to organize and attract remote participants.  You can even theme the club reads just like the regular challenges or organize separate ones for SF, Fantasy and Horror etc.  I'm sure there are lots of creative ways to do it.

DrNefario
Posted 2014-04-02 11:02 AM (#6815 - in reply to #6806)
Subject: Re: Book Club

Uber User

We did attempt to have an Outside the Norm book club at one time. I think it only survived a couple of months, but quite a few of us managed to read Victor Pelevin's Omon Ra at roughly the same time.

I find it hard to read things I "have" to read, myself. As soon as it ceases to be optional it ceases to be fun.
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-04-02 11:24 AM (#6816 - in reply to #6803)
Subject: Re: Book Club

Uber User

I think The Famished Road killed Outside the Norm. I'm still 50 pages away from finishing that book. I remember the conversations about Omon Ra were fun.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)