open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "...we are all Libraries, because we keep what we read inside us like the best parts of ourselves." -- Alberto da Costa e Silva, quoted by Jose Saramago
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Would anyone be interested in one more small challenge? SF/F set in the Global South
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-04-04 12:23 AM (#6841)
Subject: Would anyone be interested in one more small challenge? SF/F set in the Global South
Quote Reply

Uber User

I don't know about all y'all, but my TBR pile has grown so large that it is threatening to become sentient. I've been blogging and posting elseweb, though, about speculative fiction set in the Global South (i.e. "developing world") and there's been heaps of interest. Because, y'know, Europe gets boring.

This would overlap somewhat with the Authors of Color challenge, but since it's based on diversity of setting rather than diversity of authorship, I thought it might be interesting (and perhaps a good complement).

With help, I can probably come up with a list of a hundred books or so, though for my part anyway, I'm pretty sure I could overlap a half-dozen without adding any more books (maybe one or two more).

I was thinking six books to read and three to review, set in Africa, most of Asia, the Middle East, and/or Latin America (or fantasy analogues of countries within those continents).

Any potential takers, or should I just stave this one off until next year?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-04-04 9:19 AM (#6842 - in reply to #6841)
Subject: Re: Would anyone be interested in one more small challenge? SF/F set in the Global South
Quote Reply

Uber User

If we can get a little stretchy with the "developing" part of this, I have several books on my lists that fit "location" : (1) Robinson, The Years of Rice and Salt (alternate history focussing on the development of the East), (2) Okorafor, Kabu-Kabu (set in Africa), (3) Samatar, Stranger in Olandria (fantasy world that sounds like the Indian subcontinent) , (4) Choo, The Ghost Bride (China), (5) Hopkinson, The Salt Roads (African goddess), (6) Mitchell, The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet (Japan in the 1700s), (8) Beukes, Moxyland (set in South Africa).
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-04-04 10:02 AM (#6843 - in reply to #6841)
Subject: Re: Would anyone be interested in one more small challenge? SF/F set in the Global South
Quote Reply

Uber User

I'm currently reading "Air" set in a fictional -stan, which I guess would count. A lot of what is on my TBR has fictional settings though, let alone 3rd World ones.
HRO
Posted 2014-04-04 2:38 PM (#6846 - in reply to #6841)
Quote Reply

Uber User

You could always extend the challenge into next year so those who are too over committed this year could wait and join then. There's certainly a lot of book choices for this challenge; it is an excellent idea.
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-04-04 6:22 PM (#6847 - in reply to #6841)
Quote Reply

Uber User

HRO, great idea, I hadn't thought of that.

Secondary world fantasy based on anywhere outside the Euro/American/Japanese/Canadian/etc. sphere totally would count.

WDYT about adding the caveat that one book must be from each of the four major continents/areas of the Global South -- i.e. at least one book set in Africa, the Middle East, Latin America, and Asia (or analogues)?
justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-04-04 8:45 PM (#6848 - in reply to #6841)
Quote Reply

Uber User

How many books do you envision? If it's not going to be a full year it doesn't have to be 12.
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-04-04 8:51 PM (#6849 - in reply to #6841)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I was thinking 6 books, 3 reviews, JS. No need to kill ourselves. *eyes TBR pile*
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)