open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Nothing travels faster than the speed of light with the possible exception of bad news, which obeys its own special laws." - Douglas Adams
- (Added by: Administrator)

Dark or Grimdark Fantasy
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

Acknud
Posted 2024-01-15 7:26 AM (#29249)
Subject: Dark or Grimdark Fantasy

Uber User

My favored genre is horror but any form of dark fantasy also hits the mark. I am trying to slowly expand some into Science fiction but don't really know how to get my feet wet. That is a topic for another thread. Is there a good list for dark fantasy that is not mainly horror? I like Abercrombie so some stuff in that vein would be great.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lisagarrity
Posted 2024-01-15 9:38 AM (#29251 - in reply to #29249)
Subject: Re: Dark or Grimdark Fantasy

Veteran

Hi Acknud, have you read Scott Lynch? The Lies of Locke Lamora is the first of his Gentleman Bastard series. If you haven't read Dune yet by Frank Herbert, it's a really great intro to science fiction. (I know, you said another thread but I couldn't resist.)
Acknud
Posted 2024-01-15 10:51 AM (#29252 - in reply to #29251)

Uber User

lisagarrity - 2024-01-15 9:38 AM

Hi Acknud, have you read Scott Lynch? The Lies of Locke Lamora is the first of his Gentleman Bastard series. If you haven't read Dune yet by Frank Herbert, it's a really great intro to science fiction. (I know, you said another thread but I couldn't resist.)

Thanks for the recommendations. I have yet to read any Lynch but I added it to my to read list. So many books, so little time! I have been ambivalent about Dune. I know it is a classic and one of the most read of the science fiction genre but I have seen very mixed reviews. It has an either love it or hate it reputation. I know I should let a book stand on it's own merit and not really listen to other's opinions but it gnaws at me! I have found myself sorely disappointed when it comes to reading classics. Case in point, Frankenstein is supposed to be the cat's meow of horror fiction but I found it very ho-hum. There are many other such examples of literary disappointment. Thanks for getting back to me. I would really love to brighten up the forums with some posts!
Weesam
Posted 2024-01-15 7:29 PM (#29258 - in reply to #29252)

Uber User

Hi Acknud, welcome to the site. I am also a horror lover and do try to add horror books to the site. We seem to have fewer horror fans than SF and fantasy fans so I'm happy to see you here.

I would suggest maybe taking a look at the Morningstar and Legend awards. Plenty of Grimdark to be found on those lists. Also check out the sub-genre tag Dark Fantasy for loads of good stuff.

One of my favourites at the moment is Aussie author Alan Baxter. I'm always adding his stuff, but seem to be the only person reading them. Not grimdark, more like dark urban fantasy/horror mashups.

WeeSam

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)