open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: ...no crime is more horrendous in the eyes of the ignorant than the pursuit of knowledge.--, Leonard Wibberley (Beware of the Mouse)
- (Added by: lisagarrity)

2014 Faerie Mythology Challenge
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Reply New post    General Discussion -> Roll-Your-Own Reading ChallengeMessage format

HRO
Posted 2014-01-08 8:47 PM (#5965)
Subject: 2014 Faerie Mythology Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

This thread is for discussion of the Faerie Mythology Challenge.  For this challenge, read 12 books about faerie mythology. (How you interpret this is up to you!) Authors of either gender are acceptable, and it is not required that authors be new-to-you. Also, you may read multiple books in a series. Join this challenge HERE.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
HRO
Posted 2014-01-09 2:44 PM (#5984 - in reply to #5965)
Subject: Re: 2014 Faerie Mythology Challenge
Quote Reply

Uber User

Looking for some ideas of what you could read for this challenge? I put together a list of books that you can see HERE.

I haven't read most of them so I can't verify (1) that they're worth reading or (2) how much they're really about faeries. I compiled the list using multiple different sources around the internet. Also, I don't know how many of them are currently available in the WWEnd database.

If you have any suggested books that I didn't include on the list, please let me know and I will add them.

Edited by HRO 2014-01-09 2:50 PM
bazhsw
Posted 2014-01-09 3:08 PM (#5986 - in reply to #5965)
Quote Reply

Regular

In my WOGF challenge I read Ironskin by Tina Connolly which features fey, I think there is a sequel. In the same challenge Deathless by Catherynne M Valente would be suitable for this challenge also.
HRO
Posted 2014-01-09 9:38 PM (#5989 - in reply to #5965)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Thanks for the suggestions, bazhsw. I've added them to the list.
kaida
Posted 2014-01-14 11:41 AM (#6069 - in reply to #5965)
Subject: RE: 2014 Faerie Mythology Challenge
Quote Reply

This sounds like an interesting reading challenge. Can I offer a few suggestions...The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen and also Andrew Lang's collection of Fairy Books (The Blue Fairy Book, The Olive Fairy Book, etc.) Most of those can be found as a free download for devices such as kindle and on the internet.
kaida
Posted 2014-01-14 1:01 PM (#6072 - in reply to #5965)
Quote Reply

On second thought, The Great God Pan is really strange as I have recently found out and is more of a horror story than faerie. Sorry, should have started reading it before I posted not after. I don't know if I will finish it. Maybe stick with Dresden Files and other suggested books in the thread and on the site. I have Among Others and Tithe so I will switch to those.
francesashton
Posted 2014-01-14 1:44 PM (#6073 - in reply to #5965)
Quote Reply

Regular

HRO

I've been looking through the suggested books for this and can I suggest the Caledonia Fae series by India Drummond?
HRO
Posted 2014-01-14 2:05 PM (#6074 - in reply to #6069)
Quote Reply

Uber User

kaida - 2014-01-14 12:41 PM

This sounds like an interesting reading challenge. Can I offer a few suggestions...The Great God Pan by Arthur Machen and also Andrew Lang's collection of Fairy Books (The Blue Fairy Book, The Olive Fairy Book, etc.) Most of those can be found as a free download for devices such as kindle and on the internet.

Are the Andrew Lang Fairy Books "fairy tales" or "faerie mythology"? I seem to remember them as fairy tales but it's been a long time since I read them.

Also, I noted your retraction of The Great God Pan.

Thanks!
HRO
Posted 2014-01-14 2:05 PM (#6075 - in reply to #6073)
Quote Reply

Uber User

francesashton - 2014-01-14 2:44 PM

HRO

I've been looking through the suggested books for this and can I suggest the Caledonia Fae series by India Drummond?

I'll add it to the list. Thanks!
dustydigger
Posted 2014-01-14 2:59 PM (#6078 - in reply to #6075)
Quote Reply

Elite Veteran

Some of Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series are about Irish gods and goddesses,especially the first,Hounded,and a later one not yet on WWEnd
HRO
Posted 2014-01-15 1:40 PM (#6100 - in reply to #6078)
Quote Reply

Uber User

dustydigger - 2014-01-14 3:59 PM

Some of Kevin Hearne's Iron Druid series are about Irish gods and goddesses,especially the first,Hounded,and a later one not yet on WWEnd

On the list! Merci!
glitrbug
Posted 2014-01-16 12:20 AM (#6108 - in reply to #5984)
Quote Reply

New User

I'd like to suggest "Wake up...": City of Roses by Manley, Kip. It's an urban fantasy with a Fairy court based in Portland, OR. He has shared it in installments on his blog but the Kindle version is only $3 and I loved it so much I felt I should send him more money. Volume two will be out shortly. http://thecityofroses.com/contents
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-02-23 5:35 PM (#6569 - in reply to #5965)
Quote Reply

Uber User

This challenge would be inclusive of a lot more books if it included retellings of fairy tales. Fairy tales, after all, comprise a mythology (or really, are parts of several mythologies) even if they do not include literal fey creatures.

Of course, my obsessive-compulsive pollution drives me to mention this since I've got lots of fairy tales retold on my lists.
HRO
Posted 2014-02-23 6:57 PM (#6570 - in reply to #6569)
Quote Reply

Uber User

FeminineFantastique - 2014-02-23 6:35 PM

This challenge would be inclusive of a lot more books if it included retellings of fairy tales. Fairy tales, after all, comprise a mythology (or really, are parts of several mythologies) even if they do not include literal fey creatures.

Of course, my obsessive-compulsive pollution drives me to mention this since I've got lots of fairy tales retold on my lists.

The challenge "rules" state: For this challenge, read 12 books about faerie mythology. (How you interpret this is up to you!)

So, if you would like to read fairy tales, by all means do so! I'm flexible like that.
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-02-23 7:36 PM (#6571 - in reply to #6570)
Quote Reply

Uber User

HRO - 2014-02-23 6:57 PM

FeminineFantastique - 2014-02-23 6:35 PM

The challenge "rules" state: For this challenge, read 12 books about faerie mythology. (How you interpret this is up to you!)

So, if you would like to read fairy tales, by all means do so! I'm flexible like that.

:D I am so pwning this thing.

For the record, Neil Gaiman's Season of Mists, one of the best story arcs in the Sandman series (which can be read as a stand-alone), features the kingdom of Faerie pretty liberally.
HRO
Posted 2014-02-24 5:23 AM (#6575 - in reply to #6571)
Quote Reply

Uber User

FeminineFantastique - 2014-02-23 8:36 PM

:D I am so pwning this thing. .

Huzzah. And welcome to Faerie Land!

FeminineFantastique - 2014-02-23 8:36 PM

For the record, Neil Gaiman's Season of Mists, one of the best story arcs in the Sandman series (which can be read as a stand-alone), features the kingdom of Faerie pretty liberally.

Twill add it to the list of recommended reading. Thanks.
HRO
Posted 2014-04-21 9:06 AM (#7305 - in reply to #5965)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I've updated the recommended reading list so that it is divided into what is available on WWEnd and what is not. Also, some new works have recently been added to the database so there are now even more options for this challenge.

A few of the new titles are:
The Dreaming Tree by C.J. Cherryh
The Wild Wood by Charles de Lint
War of the Flowers by Tad Williams
Fey series by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
Wildwood series by Juliet Marillier
The Dread Companion by Andre Norton
The Good Fairies of New York by Martin Millar
HRO
Posted 2014-09-03 10:51 AM (#8424 - in reply to #5965)
Quote Reply

Uber User

State of the Challenge (as of today Sept. 3)

9 participants
40 books read
15 books reviewed

1 participant has completed 11 books and a few others have read a little better than half of the required books. Several of us (myself included) are lagging behind.

I've hit some real clunkers in this challenge and honestly haven't immensely enjoyed the other books I've read, so it's kinna put me off these particular books. I do plan to complete the challenge by year's end, though, and am hopeful that the remaining books are far better than those I've already read.

Is everyone else enjoying the books they are reading?

Edited by HRO 2014-09-03 10:53 AM
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-09-03 1:00 PM (#8427 - in reply to #5965)
Quote Reply

Uber User

I am sorry to hear that you are not enjoying this challenge. This is the one that I kept saying that I would join. However, the books I was reading were always just on the edge of "qualifying." Many of them dealt with another culture's supernatural creatures, rather than fairies, like the Jinni in The Golem and the Jinni and the African-based tricksters in The Freedom Maze. However, some of my favorite books of the year *almost* fit--Among Others, Redwood and Wildfire, and The Golem and the Jinni.
bazhsw
Posted 2014-09-03 1:57 PM (#8429 - in reply to #5965)
Quote Reply

Regular

A shame the challenge isn't working out for you HRO. Rhondak, I'd definitely count Among Others as 'in'. I really read enjoyed it (and it was my first WWE challenge book so a bit memorable for me)
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-09-03 2:15 PM (#8430 - in reply to #5965)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Bazhsw, You are right. If I were doing the challenge, I'd certainly count Among Others as one of the books. I have high hopes for next year's slate of challenges, maybe I'll sponsor one that requires reading books influenced by a variety of world mythologies and folk tales.
FeminineFantastique
Posted 2014-09-03 9:25 PM (#8433 - in reply to #5965)
Quote Reply

Uber User

This has actually been my most enjoyable challenge -- though with the caveat that I'm including fairy tale retellings, which I've always loved.

Rhondak101 - 2014-09-03 1:00 PM

Many of them dealt with another culture's supernatural creatures, rather than fairies, like the Jinni in The Golem and the Jinni and the African-based tricksters in The Freedom Maze. However, some of my favorite books of the year *almost* fit--Among Others, Redwood and Wildfire, and The Golem and the Jinni.

Mythic fiction across the world should def be a challenge next year.
Rhondak101
Posted 2014-10-14 8:39 AM (#8752 - in reply to #5965)
Quote Reply

Uber User

Okay, I swapped out a YA winner for the 12 Awards challenge (I was not enjoying it) with Valente's first Girl Who book. That has pushed me over the edge to join the challenge (finally!). I have 8 slots filled in (and only 1 is iffy). I think I can fill out the rest by the end of the year.

I'm all in for a World Wide Mythology and Folk Tale based challenge next year.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Reply New post
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)