open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Cyberspace. A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation, by children being taught mathematical concepts... A graphic representation of data abstracted from banks of every computer in the human system. Unthinkable complexity. Lines of light ranged in the nonspace of the mind, clusters and constellations of data. Like city lights, receding... " - William Gibson (Neuromancer)
- (Added by: Emil)

Isle of Destiny: A Great Read for St Patrick's Day
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

JohnBem
Posted 2016-03-16 7:53 PM (#13001)
Subject: Isle of Destiny: A Great Read for St Patrick's Day

Regular

Tomorrow is St Patrick's Day, which I will be celebrating in my usual fashion by starting off the day with a hearty Irish breakfast and a pint (or two) of Guinness. Thinking of St Patrick's Day reminds me of a great book I read in 2014 (from March 11 to April 12): Isle of Destiny by Kenneth C Flint. I read the book before I discovered WWE, so I didn't write a review of it and only general impressions of it remain in my cluttered mind. But those impressions are strong: of rich, vivid language and imagery evoking an almost otherworldly Ireland filled with brave warriors and heroic women and vast beauty and strange legends. The back cover describes the book thus: "Here, woven into a rich magical tapestry is the never-before-told story of ancient Ireland...a spellbinding tale of love and intrigue, lust and murder, rivalry and quest...of a time and a place long ago and far away that lives forever in our deepest fantasies." Back when I read it I gave the book a 5-star rating; I dole those out rather sparingly, so this is a truly remarkable book in my opinion. If you're looking for a Celtic-flavored read with which to celebrate St Patrick's day, I recommend Isle of Destiny (which is in the WWE database).
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)