open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Earth is the cradle of the mind-but you cannot live in the cradle forever. - Tsiolkovsky
- (Added by: gallyangel)

A Weirdness in the Lock In Series
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Report ErrorsMessage format

Rhondak101
Posted 2014-12-03 8:21 AM (#8965)
Subject: A Weirdness in the Lock In Series

Uber User

I was on the page for Scalzi's Lock In and clicked the series link to find out the name of the associated novella. When the series page appeared, one of the Agatha H graphic novels (A. H. and the Clockwork Princess) appears as a part of the series. I looked at the series info in the editing sections of all three books and can't see anything that would make Agatha H appear. Anyway, here's the link to the page I saw

https://www.worldswithoutend.com/searchwwe.asp?st=Lock+In&t=1&at=All&gid=0&ys=0&ye=9999

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2014-12-12 8:28 AM (#9007 - in reply to #8965)
Subject: RE: A Weirdness in the Lock In Series

Admin

Rhondak101 - 2014-12-03 8:21 AM

I was on the page for Scalzi's Lock In and clicked the series link to find out the name of the associated novella. When the series page appeared, one of the Agatha H graphic novels (A. H. and the Clockwork Princess) appears as a part of the series. I looked at the series info in the editing sections of all three books and can't see anything that would make Agatha H appear. Anyway, here's the link to the page I saw

https://www.worldswithoutend.com/searchwwe.asp?st=Lock+In&t=1&at=All&gid=0&ys=0&ye=9999

Hey Rhonda, that is an expected weirdness.  The series link is simply a search request launched from the novel page as if you typed the series name into the search field at the top of the page which searches titles, series names and authors in the DB.  It therefore brings back the same results set which includes other books with the words "lock" AND "in" in them.  In this case  Agatha H and the CLOCKwork PrINcess.

Most of the time you'll get exactly what you expect from those links because the series name is usually more complex or more specific like "Harry Potter" or "The Foundation Series" etc.  If we listed the latter as just "Foundation" for the series name you'd get 14 results from that link.  If we added an author named "Harry Potter" all his books would then show in the result set and we would rename the series to "Harry Potter Series" to compensate.

In this case I've added "Series" to the series title so you'll only get Scalzi's books when you click on "Lock In Series" from the novel page. Now you'll get what you expect.

Rhondak101
Posted 2014-12-12 12:32 PM (#9009 - in reply to #8965)
Subject: Re: A Weirdness in the Lock In Series

Uber User

Dave, Thanks for the explanation. I guess if I had thought hard enough I could have figured that one out!
Rhonda
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)