open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect." - Steven Wright
- (Added by: The Shadow)

Most Highly Rated Books on WWEnd
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Books, Awards & ListsMessage format

spectru
Posted 2015-09-16 8:22 PM (#11329)
Subject: Most Highly Rated Books on WWEnd

Veteran

WWEnd has some self-generated lists, e.g. WWEnd Most Read Books of All time, Books Reviewd on WWEnd. Would it be great if we had a list of the Most Highly Rated Books on WWEnd?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2015-09-16 9:36 PM (#11330 - in reply to #11329)
Subject: RE: Most Highly Rated Books on WWEnd

Admin

spectru - 2015-09-16 8:22 PM WWEnd has some self-generated lists, e.g. WWEnd Most Read Books of All time, Books Reviewd on WWEnd. Would it be great if we had a list of the Most Highly Rated Books on WWEnd?

Yeah, we've been talking about dong a list like that for a few years.  The problem is figuring out a reasonable algorithm that would take into account the ratings, average ratings, number of ratings, number of reads etc. to end up with a reasonable list.  The list is on the dev list for sure though it's not very high at the moment with so many other projects that take precedence.

spectru
Posted 2015-09-20 9:41 AM (#11353 - in reply to #11329)
Subject: Re: Most Highly Rated Books on WWEnd

Veteran

I know nothing about the coding for a website like this, so I have no idea of the difficulty or ease of doing something like that.

If it isn't feasible to list best books, how about favorite authors. We can select our favorite authors in each of the three categories. Would it be difficult to make a list of WWEnd members' favorite authors?
Administrator
Posted 2015-09-20 10:07 AM (#11354 - in reply to #11353)

Admin

spectru - 2015-09-20 9:41 AM I know nothing about the coding for a website like this, so I have no idea of the difficulty or ease of doing something like that. If it isn't feasible to list best books, how about favorite authors. We can select our favorite authors in each of the three categories. Would it be difficult to make a list of WWEnd members' favorite authors?

A favorite authors list is very straight forward.  That's just a list of the most favorited authors in our database.  I like that idea very much.  It would be a live list that would change as more people tag their favorite authors ordered by the number of faves they've gotten with a secondary alpha sort by name.  It could even encourage folks to tag their faves in order to get them on the list or move them up the list.  I'm kinda wondering why we haven't done a list like that already.

In fact, it makes me think we should have a "Most Read Authors" list as well.  That one could be a simple total reads for each author no matter how many books we have for that author in the DB.  It would be a live list as well and could encourage more people to tag all their books.  It would interesting to compare the 2 lists.

I'll run these by whargoul tomorrow and see what he thinks about the coding.  I suspect they're low hanging fruit and we could knock them out rather easily.  As with all these ideas we'll have to decide if it's worth putting in front of the current project or adding to list down the line.  I'll let you know here after we talk bout it.  Thanks!

spectru
Posted 2015-09-20 6:50 PM (#11358 - in reply to #11354)

Veteran

I see that I got it wrong. We can list our favorite authors without regard for genre and our favorite books in SF, F and H. Maybe if would be possible to reflect the WWE overall members favorites lists, all four. That would be good, wouldn't it?
spectru
Posted 2016-01-07 9:54 PM (#12321 - in reply to #11354)

Veteran

Administrator - 2015-09-20 11:07 AM

I'll run these by whargoul tomorrow and see what he thinks about the coding.  I suspect they're low hanging fruit and we could knock them out rather easily.  As with all these ideas we'll have to decide if it's worth putting in front of the current project or adding to list down the line.  I'll let you know here after we talk bout it.  Thanks!

Still hoping for:

WWEnd favorite authors list

and/or

WWEnd favorite SF/F/H book lists

and/or

WWEnd most read authors list

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version