open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "In the end, the only safe place to put a Trojan horse is outside your walls." Robert Harris
- (Added by: Acknud)

The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume Two B
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Report ErrorsMessage format

valashain
Posted 2012-07-21 1:42 PM (#3844)
Subject: The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume Two B

Uber User

https://worldswithoutend.com/novel.asp?id=4471

That cover says edited by Robert Silverberg but it is filed under Ben Bova?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2012-07-21 4:33 PM (#3847 - in reply to #3844)
Subject: RE: The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume Two B

Admin

valashain - 2012-07-21 1:42 PM https://worldswithoutend.com/novel.asp?id=4471 That cover says edited by Robert Silverberg but it is filed under Ben Bova?

This is one of those bizarre cases that so infuriate me about the publishing business.  You will find that book attributed to both authors sepetately out in the wild with the same cover but different editors.  When I found the cover image I happened to grab the one with Silverberg on it.  When I entered it into the database I found it referenced as being by Bova on Amazon and ISFDB and elsewhere so I switched it and had to replace the cover to match.  If you refresh it you'll see the new image.

ISFDB has the series listing that shows how utterly stupid the naming of this book has been.  Multiple versions for the title appear for each volume including one version that labels Volume 2B as Volume 3 and of course the very strange and inept 2A and 2B cause Volume 3 to be in fact the fourth book in the series and so on down the line.

So the third book in the series has been published as:

• The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume Two B (1973)
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume Three (1974)
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume IIB (1974)

All listed as by Ben Bova.  I have no idea where the Robert Silverberg version of the cover originated but it can be found on multiple web sites.  It looks like Gollancz thought the 2A/B thing silly so they named their 3rd volume as Volume 3.

Zounds!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)