open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: We are time. We are this Space, this clearing opened by the traces of memory inside the connections between our Neurons. We are Memory. We are Nostalgia. We are Longing for a Future that will not Come. -- James Dator (Time and Future Studies)
- (Added by: gallyangel)

What are we reading in March?
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-03-07 5:13 PM (#4805)
Subject: What are we reading in March?

Uber User

Started on Quicksilver and am not getting into it. Seems to be just pages and pages of exposition. I thought it would be like another Cryptonomicon and it ain't.
So I started on Christopher Priest's for a break, first of his books I've read. Only trouble is - it's not a break. It's Borges only much longer. Saving grace, I can dip into it with no loss of contunuity.
So I started another one. C. L. Anderson's (Sarah Zettel) Bitter Angels. Looked very promising from the cover, kick-ass strong female protagonist, yay - let's blow stuff up! .....But, no. Although our heroine is a sort of inter-stellar supercop she's no allowed to kill people. Mmmm that Bujold I have on my pile for the last 12 months is starting to look pretty appealing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dustydigger
Posted 2013-03-10 10:44 AM (#4816 - in reply to #4805)
Subject: Re: What are we reading in March?

Elite Veteran

I think I would have to be tied down to read Neal Stephenson.I made an attempt with his Snow Crash last year,and it went on and on and on with very little happening.I gave up after 200 pages.Saw Anathem on the library shel,a mere 1100 pages -and rushed away emptyhanded .
Sorry C L Anderson is not killing anyone,how boring! lol.The only books by her in my library are as Sarah Zettel,fantasy.
But how could you leave a Bujold unread on the shelf for a year? I couldnt do it.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-03-10 4:10 PM (#4817 - in reply to #4805)

Uber User

Well people have died since but only at the hand of the bad guys. The good guys (actually good girls, which doesn't have quite the same meaning) shoot people with glue guns.

Anathem I really liked - if you're into science it's a very clever book but it took me a while to warm up to it. But info dumps do not a novel make especially ones about Isaac Newton and non-conformist religious theology.
POLOSNAPS
Posted 2013-03-10 5:16 PM (#4818 - in reply to #4805)

New User

Thanks Dusty, Snow Crash was on my list, now I will let it drop a few notches. I am reading, A fire upon the deep. My first Vinge book. Took a while to get into it, but glad i stuck with it. interesting plot, unfolds at an acceptable pace with likable characters. The Tines are also a refreshing take on an alien culture. I did find it tough going at first, being thrust into such a rich world and having to make assumptions on the terminology/concepts being used. Only realized two thirds through the book I was reading a sequel... And A deepness in the sky is a first contact novel, a sci-fi genre I very much enjoy.
So question is do I go back and read A deepness in the sky? Or will I just be catching up with the back story.

Scott Laz
Posted 2013-03-10 5:28 PM (#4819 - in reply to #4805)

Uber User

Getting near the end of Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast--a long book but Peake's prose is always engaging--I wish he'd written more... Next up is Sturgeon's More Than Human, and Vance's Son of the Tree, then Citadel of Fear by Francis Stevens for the WoGF challenge. Spring Break begins in a week, so hopefully time to get caught up on some reading and writing...
dustydigger
Posted 2013-03-11 5:53 AM (#4822 - in reply to #4819)

Elite Veteran

Titus Groan and Ghormenghast were extraordinary books.I never bothered to read Titus Alone,Titus's adventures after leaving the castle,because for me Gormenghast itself was the main character of the tale,and since Titus is a rather insubstantial character to me,I wasnt interested enough to plough through another marathon! lol.
I find Peake a bit hard to categorise.I cant really class him as Gothic,though all the elements are there,probably because I think of Gothic as all dark shadows,grey passageways,subdued and melancholic characters,whereas his books are incredibly rich and colourful.The BBC back in 2002 made a TV version, a brave attempt,though I thought it failed, to capture the spirit of the work,and it did at least show that opulent richness pretty well.
You are going to read More Than Human.Is that the first time,or is it a reread? .It is decades since I read it,but it struck a major chord at the time.Sturgeon to me seems to have been pushed into the shadows compared with the Big Three,but in the 50s he was the most anthologised author alive,and a major influence on Ray Bradbury,Harlan Ellison and Samuel Delaney.Look forward to your take on More Than Human.Now that it has been published as part of the Classic Novels of the 50s series,it may get more rcognition from a new audience.On the other hand,it could be incredibly dated now.I am often reluctant to revisit such books for that reason.
I havent read any Francis Stevens yet,but I hope to get round to her sometime..Enjoy your Spring Break!

Edited by dustydigger 2013-03-11 5:55 AM
DrNefario
Posted 2013-03-11 8:42 AM (#4823 - in reply to #4818)

Uber User

POLOSNAPS - 2013-03-10 11:16 PM

Thanks Dusty, Snow Crash was on my list, now I will let it drop a few notches. I am reading, A fire upon the deep. My first Vinge book. Took a while to get into it, but glad i stuck with it. interesting plot, unfolds at an acceptable pace with likable characters. The Tines are also a refreshing take on an alien culture. I did find it tough going at first, being thrust into such a rich world and having to make assumptions on the terminology/concepts being used. Only realized two thirds through the book I was reading a sequel... And A deepness in the sky is a first contact novel, a sci-fi genre I very much enjoy.
So question is do I go back and read A deepness in the sky? Or will I just be catching up with the back story.

I thought Deepness in the Sky was the second one?

I read them out of order, and it didn't really spoil my enjoyment of either book.

I've just started Foundation's Edge by Isaac Asimov, which I'm expecting to find boring, but hoping to be wrong. Of the 8 Hugo winners I have left to read, there's nothing I'm really greatly looking forward to, and there are some I'm not particularly looking forward to. I'm trying to leave something good for last, as an incentive to read the dull ones.
dustydigger
Posted 2013-03-11 3:10 PM (#4824 - in reply to #4823)

Elite Veteran

OK,what have I read so far this month?
<u> Terry Pratchett - Equal Rites</u> When a wizard is dying his duty is to pass on his wizard's staff to an eighth son of an eighth son.Major problems arise when the eighth son turns out to be a daughter! There has never been a female wizard,but things are about to change.This is the 4th Discworld book.I am filling in the gaps,so the next book will be Pyramids.Likeable mayhem,wry humour,and a very odd world.Great fun
<u>Roger Zelazny - To Die in Italbar</u>
''Mr H'''s life goes in cycles,half of the time he lives in isolation because he is a carrier for a myriad of plagues and deadly diseases,then suddenly he becomes the opposite,his blood being able to cure the dying.He usually realizes when the deadly change is coming,and hurriedly leaves populated areas to avoid killing thousands.One day he is too engrossed and doesnt leave in time,and many die.The survivors,enraged,nearly beat him to death,and an overwhelming rage for revenge takes him over.Now a variety of people are looking for him - the police of course,a doctor studying diseases hoping to find cures,a former army man,who,when his side lost the war against the empire became a guerilla determined to wreak havoc on his enemies,and knows Mr H will be an awesome weapon,and a man who knows how and why Mr H became this fearsome dangerous man,and wants to save him.The various characters strands are skilfully interwoven,and the mystery is finally solved.One of Zelazny's most popular tales,full of fine descriptions of nature,one of Zelazny's strong points,and interesting characters.Good stuff.Sadly I couldnt locate Isle of the Dead,the prequel to this story,for a reread.My library system just doesnt seem interested in Zelazny at all.No less than 20 Heinleins,a dozen Asimovs,but Clarke and Zelazny are poor little orphans in the storm as far my library is concerned. :0(
<u>Edgar Allan Poe - Selected short stories </u>
Enjoyable rereading of over a dozen of Poe's most famous tales.Gloomy doom ridden crumbling mansions,beautiful young women dying,and often terrifyingly returning,melancholy young men enamoured of ancient dangerous knowledge,or expecting to die...... .You know,typical cheerful Poe.Particularly gripping,The Black Cat,The Tell-Tale Heart,Fall of the House of Usher.And boy,isnt Poe inordinately fond of people being prematurely buried alive? Good Gothic fun.
Is anyone familiar with Berenice? Like Marathon Man,this tale will NOT appear on a dentist's waiting room table!
<u>Robert Heinlein - Rocketship Galilleo </u>
The first Heinlein juvenile,and a very odd thing it is too.Written in 1947,its set possibly in the early 50s at a time when rocketships are available for use around the earth,but governments and businesses are uninterested in space travel.So a brilliant nobel winning scientist decides to go it alone,on a shoestring,with the help of his geeky nephew and his two friends.He buys a second hand rocket which the boys prepare for space travel.They have a kind of prefab hut which contains a lathe,a power saw,and a couple of other tools to do the task(!).They buy some thorium to atomically power the rocket,and it is delivered and left on the field beside the ship! Yep its one of those good old rockets with fins,that have to land tail down.Villains try to sabotage the work but off they go to the moon,where they find Nazis lurking ready to bomb the world until they submit to Nazi rule.It was strange to see the rabid anti-german insults,the sort of thing reserved for evil arab terrorists today.The boys win through,nonchalantly ambushing the dirty rats who bombed their ship,killing them without turning a hair,steal the Nazi ship and tricking the evil leader into telling them how to fly the ship. Oh,and off to the side,they discover tunnels built by the original lunar people millenia ago.They return to earth to be feted as saviours. Lots of chunks of facts about space,not neatly subordinated to the plot and characters as his other juveniles were,but I'm sure the high school science geeks reading felt superior at having at least a hazy idea of the science, and had a ball dreaming of going into space go off into space.Apparently Heinlein had a hard time getting it in print because the idea of space travel seemed too outlandish and far fetched.I think possibly it was the sheer naivety of the events that put some publishers off.For instance,you have this dangerous radioactive material,bought from a shop(!) and to save weight in the rocket they decide to leave it unshielded on one side,that facing outer space.Meanwhile,while the rocket is on the ground ,it will face away from the quonset hut! They congratulate themselves on having the forethought to face the rocket that way in landing in the field.Or what about taking flying lessons for a few days,and adding on the shortened rocket flying lessons allowed for anyone with a pilots licence.The kid is then ready to fly them to the moon after 4 days lessons.I have to wonder what all those astronauts at NASA were doing in the 60s,all that training and education.These kids with the right stuff were ready in a couple of weeks. lol.I was a bit bemused by it all,but it was an interesting,if bonkers read.

justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-03-13 10:39 AM (#4831 - in reply to #4805)

Uber User

@Dusty Isle of the Dead isn't really a prequel to Italbar. Francis Sandow, the protagonist in Isle of the Dead, only makes a brief appearance in Italbar. Isle of the Dead is very good though, one of my favourite Zalazny's. I would also recommend Today We Choose Faces and Roadmarks if you can get hold of them.
Scott Laz
Posted 2013-03-13 1:47 PM (#4833 - in reply to #4805)

Uber User

@Dusty. I've finished Gormenghast, and can see why you would consider that a satisfactory conclusion. Opinions of Titus Alone are decidedly mixed, but I very much enjoy Peake's prose, and am curious enough to read it at some point, but don't feel any urgency about it. I'm going semi-chronologically through the history of fantasy in two different period, and my next reads will be from the late 1910s (Francis Stevens) and early '50s (Sarban's The Sound of His Horn). I'll get back to Titus Alone when I get to 1959. Interestingly, Peake's widow just recently published a fourth volume (Titus Awakes, I think it's called) based on Peake's unpublished writings or notes, about which I saw a positive review by Michael Moorcock.

I think Sturgeon has been somewhat forgotten because, despite being recognized for More Than Human and Venus Plus X, he has essentially a short story writer. In the era when the magazines were at the center of the field, he was one of the biggest stars, but people don't seem to be as interested in short fiction anymore, and reputations are made with novels. So Heinlein and Herbert are still well known because their novels are still read, but Sturgeon, Van Vogt, and Sheckley, not so much. There is a thirteen-volume (!) set of Sturgeon's complete stories that came out over the last decade or so, and it's about to be released here as lower-priced e-books, so I may be going back to Sturgeon's short stories soon as well. I do think he is one of the all-time best. And yes, More Than Human will be a reread, but it's been a looong time, so I'm really looking forward to it. I did read the novella version of the middle section--"Baby Is Three"--recently in an old issue of Galaxy. His writing style is a cut above the vast majority of SF from that era.

Rocketship Galileo does sound pretty odd. I saw the film Destination Moon recently (script by Heinlein), in which he posits the idea that the first moon rocket would be built by a consortium of U.S. corporations for purely patriotic motives. I don't expect SF writers to accurately predict the future (that's not the point of science fiction, IMO), but Heinlein clearly didn't have a very good grasp of economics!

Edited by Scott Laz 2013-03-13 1:49 PM
Badseedgirl
Posted 2013-03-14 1:26 AM (#4835 - in reply to #4805)
Subject: RE: What are we reading in March?

Uber User

I have just finished Shirley Jackson's "We Have All Lived In the castle", Cherie Priests "Those Who Went Remain There Still" both of which I enjoyed, although bother were extremely short, almost Novellas in size.

Next on My list is, Rereading "The Forever War" By Joe Haldeman, and reading a glorious find from my local library. R.L. Stine has written a novel FOR ADULTS! Now I am of an age that I grew up reading Mr. Stine when I was in my preteens. He was the JK Rowling and the Stephanie Meyer all rolled into one of my generation, and was one of my first introduction to Horror/Fantasy novels. The book series "Goosebumps" was the Gateway drug that led me to Stephen King, Clive Barker, and Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.
I was thrilled to no end to see an adult fiction by him. It seems to be off to a roaring start, but as I am only 1 chapter in, I am holding off judgement. His YA novels tended to be of a simplistic writing style, but I have found this new book to be rich in description, without being bogged down by it. Keeping my ringers crossed on this one.

What was your gateway book?
dustydigger
Posted 2013-03-14 5:22 AM (#4837 - in reply to #4835)

Elite Veteran

I think I must be one of the few people who was not blown away by The Forever War.I didnt find the future mapped out for mankind at all convincing,first all homosexual and then all clones? Please.Did enjoy the irony of the war ending with a whimper for these particular soldiers,as they are off in time dilation space when it ended,and turned out to be a mistaken war anyway! lol.Read Forever Free,which wasnt very gripping,and I have the massive 3 novel volume sitting there watching me reproachfully as I try to gather myself together for Forever Peace.Its been sitting there for months.Sorry folks,I go to Joseph Heller's Catch 22 if I want an anti war book.(and needless to say,I thoroughly disliked Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse - 5)
The Stine books were major favourites of my daughter when she was a teen,she devoured all those Goosebump books,but ,as you say,they were too simplistic for my tastes
Do you mean Gateway book into horror or SF? The first horror I read was a Pan anthology,The Second Pan Book of Horror,back in about 1962,when I was 14.But apart from loving Poe,Lovecraft,Dunsany et al,I was never really much into modern horror,too gruesome! In the early 80s I read quite a few early Koontz,and have read a few Stephen King,but its never really been my thing.I do like the Preston and Child Pendergast stories,though I dont really class them as true horror,more thrillers.But I must say I love books set in old museums,withthose dark dusty corridors perfect for monsters and/or maniacs to roam.Good fun,especially the early booksThink I am up to about number 8 or 9
As for SF,I remember exactly my Gateway books!.In June 1961 the tiny little hut which was laughably known as the public library was replaced with a brand new shiny building with loads of new books.At that time I was reading through The Oxford Book of English Verse,and had been reading Yeats The Tale of Wandering Aengus,which I loved.The final lines are

Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone
And kiss her lips and take her hands;
And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.

As I walked past the SF little bay,Bradbury's Golden Apples of the Sun,caught my eye,and I took that out of the library,along with the book next to it,Edgar Rice Burroughs The Princess of Mars,which I still nostalgically reread every few years.And for the next few years I think I read every SF book they had in that SF section.lol

Edited by dustydigger 2013-03-14 5:30 AM
pauljames
Posted 2013-03-24 5:45 AM (#4865 - in reply to #4805)

Veteran

Finished Gene Wolfe's Book of The New Sun, I read the four books individually and the 3rd was my favourite, I will try to review them as one sometime and they will certainly be re-read. Just started Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke this is my 1st Clarke also purchased my 1s t Raymond E Feist book - Magician and my 1st Philip K Dick book - A Scanner Darkly.
DrNefario
Posted 2013-03-24 6:55 AM (#4866 - in reply to #4805)

Uber User

I ended up enjoying Foundation's Edge more than I was expecting, even though - maybe because - it was kind of silly. It somehow made me feel nostalgic about the Foundation Trilogy even though I only read that last year.

I have just finished another non-SF/F book, The Sacred Art of Stealing by Christopher Brookmyre (whose latest is SF, I believe). This was for my ABC Murders alphabetical crime challenge. The investigator is Angelique de Xavia, and was all I could come up with for X. I have read a few books by Brookmyre before, including the first one de Xavia was in, and this was in the same vein. Fun. Maybe a bit too filled with pop-culture gags for its own good.

I'm thinking of starting another Hugo winner now. Seven left, and I kind of feel like having a push to get them all done. It's a shame I've already read a book by Kate Wilhelm, and won't get to double that one up for the WoGF.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-03-24 9:49 AM (#4867 - in reply to #4805)

Uber User

And after the Hugos what next? The Nebulas?
DrNefario
Posted 2013-03-25 8:42 AM (#4871 - in reply to #4805)

Uber User

The BSFA. I've already bought quite a few of the ones I'm missing, and I did get to double up with The Sparrow (although I think that also got a Nebula). The BSFA list includes some books by authors I like that I haven't read yet, such as Geoff Ryman and Ken Macleod, so it seemed a good choice.

Edit: OK it was the Clarke award, not the Nebula, that The Sparrow also won. I couldn't check until I'd saved my post.

Edited by DrNefario 2013-03-25 8:45 AM
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-03-25 11:15 AM (#4872 - in reply to #4805)

Uber User

I'm trying to finish off the Locus Sf award. I've only got one left but I have to read the whole of Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle to get it. After that I think the Nebulas . I only have 14 of those to go as against 22 BSFA (make that 23 by the end of March).
Switters
Posted 2013-03-25 9:13 PM (#4873 - in reply to #4872)

Just finished The Fountains of Paradise and Stand on Zanzibar. I only have 10 Hugo winners left, mostly shorter ones from the 60's and 70's. Locus SF next.
DrNefario
Posted 2013-03-26 9:02 AM (#4875 - in reply to #4805)

Uber User

Hmm, I quite like the look of the Locus list. There doesn't look to be anything I think I'd particularly dislike in the ones I haven't read.

Anyway, I started Hominids by Robert J. Sawyer, as my next Hugo winner. It was one of the ones I wasn't sure I'd like, but I'm finding it readable enough so far.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-03-26 9:36 AM (#4876 - in reply to #4805)

Uber User

I found that one rather obnoxious. The rape scene and it's attitude to women in general put me off.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2013-03-26 9:55 AM (#4877 - in reply to #4805)
Subject: RE: What are we reading in March?

Uber User

Wow, color me impressed! I can't even begin to start on the award winning lists because, when i started looking at the NPR list, I realized that I have read very few of the great classics in SF/F. I am a loyal member of NPR, so I figured that is the place to start. . I've only read 21 of them, so between this list and the WOTG challenge, I think I will be ok for the rest of this year. I also picked this list because at a glance, my local library has about 1/2 of them, so I will be able to fill the year with books I only read from our local library system, which has been something I am very passionate about. Our local library, like so many in the country, is suffering financially at this time, and one on the librarians told me that the board has suspended some of their book buying funds. It's really quite a shame, because it is over 50 miles to the nearest bookstore, and we are so rural, that in many parts of our county, the only high speed internet available is through Hugesnet, with is at the mercy of the weather. I will get off my soap box now, but I can't help but feel passionate about the subject of our local library!
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-03-27 12:31 PM (#4879 - in reply to #4805)

Uber User

I think the special lists are harder than the award winning ones, there are more of them. The only one I am close to completing is the Locus SF and that's because it's one of the smallest.
dustydigger
Posted 2013-04-04 4:11 PM (#4908 - in reply to #4805)

Elite Veteran

@ Badseed girl.Wow,your library situation seems even more dire than ours.The library budget for my county last year was cut from 6.25million ,to 4.75 million,a 20% cut,and it is likely to have a similar cut this coming year.I keep a check on the monthly new stock list,and from getting between 400 and 500 new fiction additions per month,we have steadily dropped through the 300s to the 200s,and the month of April only 102 books were added.Science Fiction doesnt get a look in sad to say.
I am far behind adding my reads,March was mayhem
After the very odd Rocketship Galileo is was a relief to find Have Spacesuit,Will Travel a cut above it.Good fun ,as a space mad young man is trying out his second hand spacesuit,which he has loving ly restored though he has no hope of getting into space.Fortunately for him,a young girl ,kidnapped on the moon by the bumbling human henchman of a pretty gruesome alien being in mistake from her diplomat father,has managed to steal the ship.She just happens to lock in to his radio,lands and picks him up.Cue recapture - twice - ,lots of derring do and bravery,and being whisked across the universe by an alien cop to stand trial on behalf of there race,as aliens decide if humans are worth leaving alive.Charming,bonkers fun,with engaging characters.
Hal Clement 's Star Light was a major disappointment.It is the follow up to the major SF classic, Mission of Gravity.The plot developments have transformed the delightful caterpillar like characters into devious liars,out for their own ends,the background hard science is rather heavy and dull,we follow various characters instead of focusing only on Barlennan,and all in all I disliked what the author did with his cute characters
Completed the interesting Isaac Asimov The Naked Sun,the follow up to the famous Caves of Steel.This time our detective Lige Baley and his sidekick robot,Daneel Olivaw are off to a very odd planet where a tiny number of people,a mere 10,000,super rich people are spread across a whole planet,each living alone in a huge mansion with numerous robots to run the planet.After hundreds of years conditioning the humans now have a phobia about meeting other people,never mind touching them,.So when a man is found brutally beaten to death,it seems that the human woman found by the body could not have bourne to even touch him,never mind repeatedly bludgeon him.And the only other person discovered in the room is a robot.The Three Laws of Robotics ensures that no robot can harm a human.So,no one could have done it - and there is no weapon to be seen..Our hero Lige Baley will sort it out,as Asimov has fun getting round the seemingly impossible to break robotic laws,and presents another of his fascinating world systems.A light fun read,but Daneel Olivaw is sidelined for most of the book,a disappointment for me.

Edited by dustydigger 2013-04-04 4:14 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)