open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "The way I see it, being dead is not terribly far off from being on a cruise ship. Most of your time is spent lying on your back. The brain has shut down. The flesh begins to soften. Nothing much new happens, and nothing is expected of you." ― Mary Roach, Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
- (Added by: Acknud)

What Are You Reading In May
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-05-13 9:52 AM (#5048)
Subject: What Are You Reading In May

Uber User

A little late starting this one:

Onto the second doorstop in Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle - "Confusion".
My WoGFC book Slow River by Nicola Griffith
And for Short Stories, having finished the excellent Cyberabad Days, E. M. Forster's "The Machine Stops"
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Maureen
Posted 2013-05-13 11:20 AM (#5049 - in reply to #5048)
Subject: Re: What Are You Reading In May

I'm reading a Dance with Dragons by Martin. Started 3 days ago and already halfway. After this finally starting my first Wells - The Invisible Man!
Switters
Posted 2013-05-14 7:17 AM (#5050 - in reply to #5048)

I'm down to my last four Hugo winners.

Dreamsnake, Vonda N. McIntyre
The Gods Themselves, Isaac Asimov
Foundation's Edge, Isaac Asimov
The Left Hand of Darkness, Ursula K. Le Guin

After those I'll be working on this years nominees. I still have Diplomatic Immunity and Cryoburn to read before Captain Vorpatril's Alliance. After those I'm thinking about this years Campbell nominees.

Edited by Switters 2013-05-14 7:18 AM
DrNefario
Posted 2013-05-14 2:03 PM (#5055 - in reply to #5048)

Uber User

I'm on my last four Hugo winners too. I'm reading Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge at the moment, and also have:

Spin - Robert Charles Wilson
Lord of Light - Roger Zelazny
Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang - Kate Wilhelm

I might try to get at least one more of them in this month, although other things are pulling at my attention. The paperback edition of Joe Abercrombie's Red Country is out this week, here, and I might very well get the ebook if the price drops in line.

I read Grass by Sherri S. Tepper for the WoGF, this month. I liked it, although the ebook wasn't great quality.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2013-05-15 10:13 AM (#5063 - in reply to #5048)
Subject: RE: What Are You Reading In May

Uber User

I'm heading down to the "Redneck Riviera" (Or Gulf Shores AL, for the uninformed) for 10 days at the end of the month, and I am bring an entire suitcase full of books with me! So far this month I have:

Finished Swan Song - Robert McCammon
Finished Ringworld - Larry Niven

and have read:

Stardust - Neil Gaiman
The Princess Bride - William Goldman
Blindness - Jose Saramago
The Long Walk - Richard Bachman/Stepehn King (IMHO his best work ever)

my beach fair:

Flatland - Edwin Abbott
A Princess of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs (I may grab the 2nd in the set also)
Z For Zachariah - Robert C' O Brian
I am Legend - Richard Matheson
Divergent - Veronica Roth ( my choice for WOGF)

I plan to grab some audiobooks to listen to on the drive down, I can't read in a moving vehicle, but with 8 hours to kill each way, I should be able to enjoy something. I've already grabbed "How to Survive a Robot Uprising, Tips on Defending Yourself Against the Coming Rebellion" by Daniel H. Wilson,
pauljames
Posted 2013-05-18 4:43 AM (#5065 - in reply to #5048)

Veteran

Reading the first two books by Raymond E Feist - Magician Apprentice and Magician Master.

400 pages in and enjoying it, very creative.
francesashton
Posted 2013-05-21 2:00 PM (#5085 - in reply to #5048)

Regular

I'm getting through loads of books in May. I might even find one I can finish! At the moment I've got Dance with the Devil by Sherrilyn Kenyon which I picked up in a charity shop as I wanted a bit of fluff (good choice - it'll be finished in 2 days from opening). I've got Storm Constantine's Stalking Tender Prey on the go but finding it hard work. I'm also trying Body's Rising by Pietro Capelli (randomly picked from the Kindle Daily Deals). Of one's I've finished in May I gave up N. K. Jemisin's The Killing Moon, read Sarah Pinborough's A Matter of Blood and read Lilith Saintcrow's The Iron Wyrm Affair which I thought was pretty good. Most of my reading is for the WoGF challenge. And off topic I'm also reading the Fast Diet to see how that works.
mmlaforge
Posted 2013-05-23 7:22 PM (#5105 - in reply to #5048)

New User

I'm reading Wool, A Killing Moon (loved the other two). On audio Karen Lord's Redemption in Indigo. I was glad to see Sherri Tepper come up on my twitter feed from you all. I haven't read any for a long time, but Grass has really stayed with me. I'm also reading the last four chapters of Captain Vorpatril's alliance (oh so sad to have it end) and still working my way through Reamde. Trying hard not to reread Anathem for the third time. Curse you Anathem for being so delicious. I'm also reading A Madness of Angels which is diverting but not gripping for some reason. Almost done though and I have liked it so that's good. As a first time poster, thank you for your good work on the site. I have found the twitter posts to be really great.
mmlaforge
Posted 2013-05-23 7:22 PM (#5106 - in reply to #5048)

New User

I'm reading Wool, A Killing Moon (loved the other two). On audio Karen Lord's Redemption in Indigo. I was glad to see Sherri Tepper come up on my twitter feed from you all. I haven't read any for a long time, but Grass has really stayed with me. I'm also reading the last four chapters of Captain Vorpatril's alliance (oh so sad to have it end) and still working my way through Reamde. Trying hard not to reread Anathem for the third time. Curse you Anathem for being so delicious. I'm also reading A Madness of Angels which is diverting but not gripping for some reason. Almost done though and I have liked it so that's good. As a first time poster, thank you for your good work on the site. I have found the twitter posts to be really great.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)