open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: When I looked around, I saw and heard none like me. Was I then a monster, a blot upon earth, from which all men fled, and whom all men disowned? - Mary Shelly, (Frankenstein)
- (Added by: wecowo)

What are you reading in June.
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

Badseedgirl
Posted 2013-06-25 10:57 AM (#5354 - in reply to #5350)
Subject: Re: What are you reading in June.

Uber User

DrNefario - Congratulations on the completion of all the Hugo winners. Whats next?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
francesashton
Posted 2013-06-25 2:16 PM (#5355 - in reply to #5354)

Regular

Wow, well impressed with DrNefario. I think I'm a quarter of the way through the Hugo's, if that. Well done!

Now in June I've finished my first ever Charlaine Harris book (took about 5 hours) so I've moved on to Dorris Lessing which was my random WoGF pick.
DrNefario
Posted 2013-06-25 2:41 PM (#5356 - in reply to #5351)

Uber User

Administrator - 2013-06-25 2:24 PM

Do you have a new goal in mind?

Well, I've kind of been buying towards the BSFA award for a while, now, but I think I'm going to enjoy a period of reading whatever takes my fancy for a bit.
ArchangelAlan
Posted 2013-06-25 7:45 PM (#5357 - in reply to #5186)

Now that you've read all of the Hugo award winners, which one would you select as the single winner from the list?
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-06-25 10:02 PM (#5358 - in reply to #5357)

Uber User

What an interesting question. (Since I've also read them all I feel honor bound to answer). Many are great in different ways, writing, the novelty of the world building etc. I would say the most classic, the one that most changed SF has to be "Dune".
Switters
Posted 2013-06-26 7:14 AM (#5359 - in reply to #5186)

Congratulations DrNefario!

I have one left, The Left Hand of Darkness, that I'm half way through and haven't picked up in a couple of weeks. Le Guin just doesn't work for me. I didn't like The Dispossed and I'm not connecting with this one.

If I had to pick my favorite it would be Ender's Game.
DrNefario
Posted 2013-06-26 2:12 PM (#5360 - in reply to #5359)

Uber User

Switters - 2013-06-26 1:14 PM

I have one left, The Left Hand of Darkness, that I'm half way through and haven't picked up in a couple of weeks. Le Guin just doesn't work for me. I didn't like The Dispossed and I'm not connecting with this one.

I really liked The Dispossessed, but didn't get much out of Left Hand.

Which one is best is a really tricky question. Which one is worst is, for me, a toss-up between the traditional They'd Rather Be Right and the inexplicably beloved atrocity that is Stranger in a Strange Land. I think I'd give it to Stranger on the basis that it's much longer. Best, though, hmm...

I've always had a soft spot for Gateway, but it's so long since I read it that I'm not sure it still holds up. There are many others that mean a lot to me, but I think, today, I'll go for The Demolished Man, the very first winner.
ArchangelAlan
Posted 2013-06-26 3:19 PM (#5361 - in reply to #5360)

Atrocity? Come on, now. That's a little extreme. I for one love the original and uncut edition. It's a surpremly entertaining book. Not perfect, not a masterpiece of philosophical wisdom, to be sure, and not a book that tackles important issues. But at the very least I would say a very entertaining and fun book.

Edited by ArchangelAlan 2013-06-26 3:21 PM
ArchangelAlan
Posted 2013-06-26 11:25 PM (#5363 - in reply to #5361)

I just finished Redshirts by John Scalzi. I am now reading "Creatures of Light and Darkness," by Roger Zelazny. I wonder why the latter text is not listed on this website. Surely it's great fantasy lit.
DrNefario
Posted 2013-06-27 8:02 AM (#5364 - in reply to #5186)

Uber User

Well, I might have been exaggerating slightly with "atrocity", but honestly I thought Stranger was a terrible book.

As I understand it, the database of books on this site started with the prize winners/nominees and other lists, and kind of spread out from there. There are plenty of gaps in its coverage, and if you want a book added there are a couple of threads where you can ask. Zelazny seems kind of neglected these days. I'm not that familiar with his work, myself, bar the Amber series and the two Hugo winners, but based on that it does seem a great shame.
justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-06-27 9:30 AM (#5365 - in reply to #5186)

Uber User

Creatures of Light and Darkness is excellent. In the same year (1969) he also published Damnation Alley which s.b. in the Genre Lit-Flick list for the film of the same name.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)