open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: We often think that when we have completed our study of one we know all about two, because "two" is "one and one." We forget that we have still to make a study of "and." - Sir Arthur Eddington
- (Added by: devilinlaw)

New Science Fiction Masterworks
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

pauljames
Posted 2013-06-15 4:21 AM (#5273)
Subject: New Science Fiction Masterworks

Veteran

It looks like there have been more books added to this list.

I have a copy of the Forever War which has a listing of seventy three books in it. Now the list is well over one hundred. Does anybody know if the list will keep growing and if new titles are added regularly?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Scott Laz
Posted 2013-06-15 11:18 AM (#5274 - in reply to #5273)
Subject: Re: New Science Fiction Masterworks

Uber User

A search on Amazon UK turns up SF and Fantasy Masterworks titles coming out through May 2014, at a pace of at least two per month, so the series is still very active! There was a blog post here a few days ago listing a few of the new titles.
Administrator
Posted 2013-06-15 12:33 PM (#5275 - in reply to #5274)

Admin

It's a very active series but it's also kind of peculiar how they manage it.  For instance, they put out new ones with little evident fanfare so I usually just stumble upon the fact that we need to update our list.  The SF Masterworks list is like a quasi award in my mind and I think they're missing the boat by not promoting the hell out of the new titles.  Speaking of promotion, you can't even find a list on the Gollancz website anymore and they did themselves no favors by taking the numbers off the covers.  How can you tell if you're missing any from your collection when there are no numbers?

Well, that's my little rant for the day.  It's a great series and they're adding some quality books very rapidly.  Here is the blog post that Scott mentioned and the previous post about the first half of 2013 releases.  24 new books a year is really impressive.

You only *think* you’ve read all the SF Masterworks.

You only *think* you’ve read all the SF Masterworks – Part Deux

In related news, Gollancz/Orion are coming out with new Fantasy Masterworks too - with a completely re-imagined cover aesthetic.  I think they're really beautiful but to be honest I would have preferred they bear some connection to the original series rather than be a complete departure.  (The new SF books are a great look that clearly belong with the original numbered editions.)  When I get these books added to the database I'll post the new Fantasy works in the blog.

What do you think of the new SF additions?  The inclusion of Revelation Space seems a bit out of place to me.  It's only been out since 2000.  Is that enough time passed for it to be considered a masterwork? Look at the original pub dates for the others in the series.  What do you think of the Fantasy line's new look?  I'm glad they're continuing the series finally!

pauljames
Posted 2013-06-16 4:57 AM (#5280 - in reply to #5273)

Veteran

All the new additions look nice to me. I do not know much about them as I only started reading SF a few years ago. I have read 3 so far but would like to read so many more there are over 80 at the moment that I like the look of and will probably buy what my local bookstore has in.

On sfsite they have a list of the first 70 books on the list but thay also have an intersting list of ten hardback books that were released. Most of thes are on the list already. Canticle for Leibowitz has recently been added. There are two that have not - Day of the Triffids and The Left Hand of Darkness although I would imagine these will be future additions.

In my local bookstore they have a whole shelf currently just for SF masterworks which I think is very impressive. More so because they are the only bookstore in the city.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)