open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "You have to know how to accept rejection and reject acceptance." - Ray Bradbury
- (Added by: Administrator)

All women authors page
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Report ErrorsMessage format

francesashton
Posted 2013-06-21 2:36 PM (#5320)
Subject: All women authors page

Regular

I couldn't decide whether to put this on the suggestions thread or in here: I figured you could shift it to wherever you felt it lived.

Anyway, since you've added a load of new authors, this list is no longer alphabetical. I'm assuming it's supposed to be so as it mostly is, but the more people you add (which is a good thing), the harder it is to find anyone (a bad thing).
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2013-06-21 3:36 PM (#5322 - in reply to #5320)
Subject: RE: All women authors page

Admin

The All Women Authors page is sorted alpha by real name but the name that shows is the "display name".  That means that authors who write under a pseudonym won't show where you expect to see them.  For instance Anne Rice's real name is, believe it or not, Howard Allen O'Brien so she shows in the O's rather than in the R's.  Gini Koch, realname Jeanne Marie Gerrard, shows in the G's etc.

If an author writes under her real name AND a pen name she show's twice like Seanan McGuire/Mira Grant.  We're in the process of making author pages for pen names which will correct the sorting problem.  Some like McGuire/Grant are already done.  In the case of Anne Rice we will make an O-Brien page that has her bio etc. that links to her pen name page.  Only her pen name will show on the All Women Authors list, as Anne Rice in the R's, since she has not written anything under her real name - at least not anything that is in our database.

I'm not sure that I explained that well but it should fix things when it's all done.

francesashton
Posted 2013-06-22 1:11 AM (#5338 - in reply to #5322)
Subject: Re: All women authors page

Regular

I get it - you sort by real name, not pen name. I read books by pen name, so expect to see them in that order. You're fixing it. Sounds like a good deal to me :-) Though thinking of the Anne Rice example, I'd expect to find the author "main" page to be Rice and a link to O'Brien but as long as they're linked I suppose it doesn't matter.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)