open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: You can't get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me. -- C.S. Lewis
- (Added by: gallyangel)

Flagging for the Challenges
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Report ErrorsMessage format

justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-01-08 9:46 AM (#5950)
Subject: Flagging for the Challenges

Uber User

If change the status of your book from On My Reading List to Reading you lose your Challenge flags if you remove it from the Reading List. If you don't remove it you don't get the color change.

Also Michel Houllebecq's book Atomised is down in the Masterworks Challenge when it is only in the Guardian list and not in any of the 3 lists that qualify.

Actually any book that is on any list appears to qualify for the Masterworks and the In Translation Challenge.

Edited by justifiedsinner 2014-01-08 10:00 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
whargoul
Posted 2014-01-08 2:23 PM (#5958 - in reply to #5950)
Subject: RE: Flagging for the Challenges

Admin

justifiedsinner - 2014-01-08 9:46 AM

If change the status of your book from On My Reading List to Reading you lose your Challenge flags if you remove it from the Reading List. If you don't remove it you don't get the color change.

Thanks for pointing this out. I've corrected the page and now as long as you've got the book marked as read or reading when you uncheck "add to my reading list" the challenges should remain selected and selectable.

justifiedsinner - 2014-01-08 9:46 AM

Also Michel Houllebecq's book Atomised is down in the Masterworks Challenge when it is only in the Guardian list and not in any of the 3 lists that qualify.

Actually any book that is on any list appears to qualify for the Masterworks and the In Translation Challenge.

We don't currently have anything in place to filter out books that don't necessarily match the challenges you're in, but we are working on some rudimentary filtering. It won't be perfect but it will be something.
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-08 2:26 PM (#5959 - in reply to #5950)
Subject: RE: Flagging for the Challenges

Admin

Whargoul has fixed the disappearing flag issue so we're good there.

We're working on the first round of enhancements that will include some filtering options for the challenge host that will allow them to restrict the challenge on different known factors.  So for instance, you'll be able to check Hugo from a list of awards that will only allow the challenge to be selected on Hugo nominated novel pages.  There will be a further radio choice to choose between winners and nominees so if you select winners it will only show on Hugo winning novel pages.  Then you can toggle the author gender to make it only show up for Hugo award winning books by women authors.

As long as we have data for the factors we want to filter we're golden.  We know the author gender cause we put that in last year for the challenge.  For something like the Authors of Color challenge we don't have race data so that will be up to the participants to pick the right authors.  But if was Authors of Color that have won an award we can at least restrict to just award winning books which will get you part of the way there.

I hope that makes sense.  Keep an eye out for those updates early next week.  Thanks, JS!

justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-01-08 5:32 PM (#5963 - in reply to #5950)
Subject: Re: Flagging for the Challenges

Uber User

Yes, I understand the difficulty. Some of the distinctions such as Masterworks are easy to spot but other we may need help on. Race can be difficult to establish and so can whether a book has been translated or put differently what was the native language of the author. Nabokov was Russian but most of his novels were written in English etc. Perhaps we should have a thread where a book or author can be posted to see whether it qualifies and if anyone has any information on it.
For example Jain has a pick for women of color of Aliette de Bodard. From your description she is of French descent living in the US, from the picture she could be Asian but it's tough to say. I must admit to being color blind in my reading unless I see a picture of the author and even then it may be possible to say who was PoC or not. It is also up to the person concerned to state what race they identify themselves as, not necessarily what their genetic heritage would indicate.
jontlaw
Posted 2014-02-05 8:59 PM (#6366 - in reply to #5950)

Veteran

John Gardner's Grendel is listed on the Fantasy Masterworks list, but I can't get a tickbox for the challenge to show up on the books page. Other challenge's show up, just not this one.
Administrator
Posted 2014-02-05 10:24 PM (#6367 - in reply to #6366)

Admin

jontlaw - 2014-02-05 8:59 PM John Gardner's Grendel is listed on the Fantasy Masterworks list, but I can't get a tickbox for the challenge to show up on the books page. Other challenge's show up, just not this one.

Grendel was tagged Horror when it should have been tagged Fantasy.  It's fixed now so you should be able to flag it.  Thanks for letting us know we had it wrong.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)