open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "We are bits of stellar matter that got cold by accident, bits of a star gone wrong." - Sir Arthur Eddington
- (Added by: Administrator)

Not coming up for Fantasia
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Web Site Feedback -> Report ErrorsMessage format

justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-01-11 6:51 PM (#6024)
Subject: Not coming up for Fantasia

Uber User

For the Fantasia Challenge I tried to select The Jennifer Morgue but it does not come up despite being winner of the Locus Fantasy Award.

The same is true for others in Stross' series and for Heinlein's Job: A Comedy of Justice which is another LOcus Fantasy winner.

Edited by justifiedsinner 2014-01-11 7:16 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-15 10:24 AM (#6094 - in reply to #6024)
Subject: RE: Not coming up for Fantasia

Admin

So what's happening here is a result of the genre categorization in our DB.  We tag each book as SF, F, or H for filtering and sorting.  Some books get tagged across those 3 if they fit more than one category.  The genre tags are completely separate from the awards so for Job, an apocalyptic sf book, it will only show for SF challenges despite it's Locus Fantasy win.  I've flagged it as fantasy now too so you'll see it if you try again.  The Jenifer Morgue books were tagged as horror but are now tagged as fantasy too.

I'm certain that there will be many more like this since the genres overlap frequently in the awards and I'm sure we have more books that are mis categorized.  We'll deal with them as they come up.  Thanks JS!

justifiedsinner
Posted 2014-01-15 11:20 AM (#6096 - in reply to #6024)
Subject: Re: Not coming up for Fantasia

Uber User

Great. I guess when you have the new, improved book request form up and running we could ask for a classification change there.
Nymeria
Posted 2014-01-19 6:58 AM (#6151 - in reply to #6024)

Hello!
I've subscribed to the Fantasia challenge, but when I try to add a book to it, the challenge does not appear in my subscribed challenges list - I see the other one (WoGF) but not this. Help, please?? (((abjectly begging smiley)))
whargoul
Posted 2014-01-19 7:57 AM (#6154 - in reply to #6151)

Admin

Nymeria - 2014-01-19 6:58 AM

Hello!
I've subscribed to the Fantasia challenge, but when I try to add a book to it, the challenge does not appear in my subscribed challenges list - I see the other one (WoGF) but not this. Help, please?? (((abjectly begging smiley)))

The Fantasia challenge is a Fantasy challenge so any books you're trying to add must also be fantasy or else they won't show up in your list. Admittedly, some of the books in our database might be mis-tagged so if that's the case please let us know.
HRO
Posted 2014-01-19 8:52 AM (#6155 - in reply to #6154)

Uber User

Not tagged as fantasy: Black Wine by Candas Dorsey and Tooth Fairy by Graham Joyce.
Nymeria
Posted 2014-01-19 9:08 AM (#6156 - in reply to #6154)

whargoul - 2014-01-19 2:57 PM

The Fantasia challenge is a Fantasy challenge so any books you're trying to add must also be fantasy or else they won't show up in your list. Admittedly, some of the books in our database might be mis-tagged so if that's the case please let us know.

Thank you whargoul!
The book I tried to add is "An Autumn War" by Daniel Abraham - where can I see how a book is tagged? Searching for it in the database I see information as Author, Publisher, ratings and so on, and there are sub-genre menus for me to choose from, but nothing about the classification of the book itself.

Apologies for my newbie questions, I'm still trying to get my bearings around here...

Edited by Nymeria 2014-01-19 9:10 AM
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-19 10:25 AM (#6160 - in reply to #6155)

Admin

HRO - 2014-01-19 8:52 AM Not tagged as fantasy: Black Wine by Candas Dorsey and Tooth Fairy by Graham Joyce.

These have been updated in our database to Fantasy.

Administrator
Posted 2014-01-19 10:52 AM (#6161 - in reply to #6156)

Admin

Nymeria - 2014-01-19 9:08 AM The book I tried to add is "An Autumn War" by Daniel Abraham - where can I see how a book is tagged? Searching for it in the database I see information as Author, Publisher, ratings and so on, and there are sub-genre menus for me to choose from, but nothing about the classification of the book itself. Apologies for my newbie questions, I'm still trying to get my bearings around here...

The Long Price Quartet was incorrectly tagged as SF but has been corrected now.

The genre classification is an internal tag that does not display on the site anywhere.  It's used or sorting and filtering etc.  The most obvious use is for the reading lists so members can have separate SF/F/H reading lists.

Please, no apologies!  There's a lot going on on this site so questions are always welcome.  It tells us you care and helps us to make improvements and correct errors etc.  Keep 'em coming!

One of the side-effects of the RYO is that we're finding a lot of books that were tagged wrong when they went into our DB.  (It's not always easy to identify a book you haven't read yourself etc. and many times a book could go either way.)  Now I'm generally a glass is half full guy so I look at this as a good thing since we can improve the accuracy of our data which is very important to us.  So even though it's a pain in the keister it's a good exercise and we appreciate you all pointing out the problems as you find them.

Nymeria
Posted 2014-01-19 1:57 PM (#6163 - in reply to #6161)

Thank you Administrator!
I understand how such a complex and multi-layered site could generate unforeseen problems, and I'm pleasantly amazed at the speed at which they are addressed! **respectful bow**

As for assigning genres to books, I guess it's not an easy feat, considering how books tend to cross the usual borders, nowadays, especially with the mixed genres that are cropping up lately.

And now... on to new adventures for me!
HRO
Posted 2014-01-19 5:05 PM (#6168 - in reply to #6160)

Uber User

Administrator - 2014-01-19 11:25 AM

HRO - 2014-01-19 8:52 AM Not tagged as fantasy: Black Wine by Candas Dorsey and Tooth Fairy by Graham Joyce.

These have been updated in our database to Fantasy.

Appreciate it!

I'm continually mind boggled at all the work done by the Powers That Be to make this site so fantastic.
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-19 6:25 PM (#6169 - in reply to #6163)

Admin

Nymeria - 2014-01-19 1:57 PM Thank you Administrator! I understand how such a complex and multi-layered site could generate unforeseen problems, and I'm pleasantly amazed at the speed at which they are addressed! **respectful bow**

Appreciate it! I'm continually mind boggled at all the work done by the Powers That Be to make this site so fantastic.

Aw shucks!  Twern't nothin'.  We're just a teensy bit obsessed with making WWEnd the best we can.  It's important to us that our members feel like this site is theirs too and that we listen and appreciate them being here.  When I think about what we could do if we didn't have pesky day jobs getting in the way it makes me want to cry ;(

HRO
Posted 2014-01-22 1:36 PM (#6204 - in reply to #6169)

Uber User

Could The Alchemy of Stone be tagged as fantasy? I think (?) it qualifies as science-fantasy for a sub-genre.

Also not tagged as fantasy: The Death of a Necromancer by Martha Wells and The Light Ages by Ian MacLeod . (No hurry on those. I doubt I'll be reading them for RYO. I just noticed they don't come up as an option for Fantasia.)
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-22 2:18 PM (#6207 - in reply to #6204)

Admin

All 3 of those have been updated.  Thanks!
HRO
Posted 2014-01-22 2:23 PM (#6208 - in reply to #6207)

Uber User

Administrator - 2014-01-22 3:18 PM All 3 of those have been updated. Thanks!

Yeah, so, I like totally love this site. Here, have a cookie.
HRO
Posted 2014-01-27 8:15 PM (#6255 - in reply to #6024)

Uber User

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman needs to be tagged as fantasy.
Administrator
Posted 2014-01-28 8:30 AM (#6259 - in reply to #6255)

Admin

HRO - 2014-01-27 8:15 PM The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman needs to be tagged as fantasy.

Done and thanks!

Administrator
Posted 2014-01-28 8:32 AM (#6261 - in reply to #6259)

Admin

Oh, I forgot to mention that the Genre tag shows on the novel page now above the SubGenre section for easy reference.  Ya'll keep lettining us know when we've missed something.
Nymeria
Posted 2014-01-29 12:14 PM (#6274 - in reply to #6024)

I have a question: a steampunk novel like THE AFFINITY BRIDGE (George Mann) and a horror novel like TWO SERPENTS RISE (Max Gladstone) could be also tagged as "fantasy", or would that stretch the "tagging rules" too much? I would like to add them to my "Fantasia" challenge but I'm not sure they fit the parameters.
Thank you!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)