open

Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Forums

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I read, and, in reading, lifted the Curtains of the Impossible, that blind the mind, and looked out into the unknown." -- William Hope Hodgson, The House on the Borderland
- (Added by: Scott Laz)

What are you reading in June.
Moderators: Admin

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> SF/F/H ChatMessage format

justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-06-02 10:37 AM (#5186)
Subject: What are you reading in June.

Uber User

Felt the need for some fantasy while I recover from a bout of pneumonia so I started on N. K. Jemisin's Inheritance Trilogy. Impressive debut. Have started on the second one.
Also reading The Healer's War for the WoGFC and still wading through Stephenson's Confusion.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
charlesdee
Posted 2013-06-02 5:50 PM (#5194 - in reply to #5186)
Subject: Re: What are you reading in June.

Uber User

For WofGFC I'm reading Falling Woman by Pat Murphy. And having just finished the Elric series I am diving into more Moorcock.
francesashton
Posted 2013-06-04 2:18 PM (#5204 - in reply to #5194)

Regular

My WoGF this month is Geist by Phillipa Ballantine which is looking pretty promising. I've still got Storm Constantine's Stalking Tender Prey on the go. Also picked up a load of free/cheap on the Kindle Daily Deals lately so that'll keep me going for a while. Oh and I finished Boneshaker by Cherie Priest just in June. Spent quite a while going through the lists on here to find more choices in the WoGF then got distracted by the Orbit database upload. It's all go!
Tim_Eagon
Posted 2013-06-04 10:33 PM (#5205 - in reply to #5186)

I'm not participating in the WoGF challenge, but I'm currently reading C.L. Moore's Jirel of Joiry, which is a collection of five stories featuring the eponymous character; so far, excellent S&S with some very evocative alternate dimensions. After that, I'm not sure what I'm going to read next; I have quite the stack of unread books and the WWE database has done nothing but expand it!
Scott Laz
Posted 2013-06-05 1:08 PM (#5207 - in reply to #5205)

Uber User

Just finished 2312 by KSR, Jack Vance's Son of the Tree, and a bunch of Vance's short fiction from the early '50s (Abercrombie Station, Telek, etc.). Most likely Pangborn's Mirror for Observers next, and I need to get caught up on the WoGF (I've also got Falling Woman on my list for that, along with Brackett's Long Tomorrow and Sargent's Shore of Women).
charlesdee
Posted 2013-06-05 3:54 PM (#5208 - in reply to #5207)

Uber User

Brackets Long Tomorrow is excellent.
Are you reading the Library of America Great 50's Science Fiction volumes. I was glad to see it made the cut.
Scott Laz
Posted 2013-06-05 7:21 PM (#5209 - in reply to #5208)

Uber User

@charlesdee: Yeah, I’m working my way through the Library of America books (I did this blog post on the set a few months back.) The Brackett, Matheson, Budrys, and Blish are the ones I’ve never read. Good to hear you recommend Long Tomorrow, and I look forward to see what you think of Falling Woman.

rgatton
Posted 2013-06-05 7:45 PM (#5210 - in reply to #5209)

New User

Reading Primary Inversion by Catherine Asaro for the WoGF challenge. Having kind of a hard time getting into it, but hoping it gets better.
DrNefario
Posted 2013-06-06 4:26 PM (#5215 - in reply to #5186)

Uber User

I've just finished Spin by Robert Charles Wilson, my third-to-last Hugo winner. I liked it. It didn't rock my world, but it was a solid bit of SF. I also finished another crime novel I was multi-tasking (A Cold Day for Murder by Dana Stabenow).

I'm moving on to this month's WoGF selection, next. I was planning to read Linda Nagata's The Bohr Maker, but coming off Spin I feel I need something more different, and I've decided to go for Redemption in Indigo by Karen Lord. (It also needed to be a book I can read on my new Nook SimpleTouch e-reader, since I haven't used it in anger yet. This ruled out all my Kindle books. The Nook is my third e-reader. Yes, that's probably at least one too many. )
pauljames
Posted 2013-06-09 9:21 AM (#5232 - in reply to #5186)

Veteran

I am reading Shrine by James Herbert. After this I will be reading my first Philip K Dick novel A Scanner Darkly.

I have also just purchased my next two books. Both of them horror. A novel Anno Dracula by Kim Newman and a short story collection by Clive Barker - The Books of Blood(Volume 1-3). Although I am trying to read more scifi and fantasy I find myself drawn to my horror favourites constantly. So far this year I have read 2 horror books 3 fantasy and 1 scifi. I have also read China Mieville's The City and The City but I do not know which if any genre this belongs to.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2013-06-10 12:20 AM (#5237 - in reply to #5186)
Subject: RE: What are you reading in June.

Uber User

I have tried and tried to do a zombie month, but have not been all that successful. I plan to try again this month. I am more than caught up with my WOGF reading, and have made some good in-roads on my quest to finish the NPR SF/F list. On Deck this month:

Zombie Fallout 2: A Plague on Your House - Mark Tufo(Done)
Cities of The Dead: Stories from the Zombie Apocalypse - William Young (done)
City Of The Dead - Brian Keene
Zom-B - Darren Shan
Dead Tossed Waves - Carrie Ryan

and if it comes in from interlibrary loan:
The Reapers are The Angels - Alden Bell

I own Feed by Mira Grant, and I plan to read it at the end of the month for my WOGF
francesashton
Posted 2013-06-10 2:16 PM (#5240 - in reply to #5237)

Regular

Just finished two of my WoGF that I mentioned in my earlier post. Starting on Arif the Unseen and this is really, really good so far. Whizzing through it.
ArchangelAlan
Posted 2013-06-11 1:55 PM (#5253 - in reply to #5186)

So far in June I've read Asimov's Foundation trilogy, PKD's "Martian Time-Slip," and I am presently finishing Zelazny's "This Immortal."
dustydigger
Posted 2013-06-11 4:46 PM (#5257 - in reply to #5186)

Elite Veteran

I haven't been around to do much posting lately,tedious life and health problems in the way.An operation next week,a bit convalescence ,and hopefully Im get back in the swing of things next month.Anyway,here is apartial list of what I have been reading over the last two months.Maybe next month I can at least make a few comments on what I have read.Anyhoo,here's the list;

William Goldman - The Princess Bride
Peter S Beagle - The Last Unicorn
Orson Scott card - Seventh Son
Suzanne Collins - Hunger Games
C J Cherryh - Intruder
Norton Juster - The Phantom Tollbooth

plus a few enjoyable books from other genres - I am nothing if not eclectic!;

John Steinbeck - Of Mice and Men
Margery Allingham - Police at the Funeral
Dashiell Hammett - Red Harvest
Patricia Briggs - Frost Burned

<u>Books in progress now;</u>
China Mieville - Embassytown
Margaret Atwood - The Handmaid's Tale
Erskine Childers - Riddle of the Sands

<u> next up</u>
Isaac Asimov - Foundation and Empire
Raymond Feist - Magician
Poul Anderson - Tau Zero

Some good stuff to fortify me through boring convalescence.See you all inJuly!
mellyn
Posted 2013-06-12 4:23 AM (#5260 - in reply to #5186)

This month so far, I've read City of Illusions by Ursula K Le Guin and I Am Legend by Richard Matheson. Oh, and I finally finished Baba Yaga Laid an Egg by Dubravka Ugresic. Really happy to be done with that one - good book in essence, I think, but completely not my type. :p

I've just started Railsea by China Mieville... and at some point this month, I'll start my next WoGF selection which will likely be The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff. But I might still change my mind and start something else instead, lol. Not sure what else yet. We'll see how quickly I read!

Tim_Eagon
Posted 2013-06-12 8:39 AM (#5261 - in reply to #5186)

I started reading Saladin Ahmed's Throne of the Crescent Moon last night...I couldn't put it down and am already a third of the way through. I guess I should start thinking about what I'm going to read next!
ArchangelAlan
Posted 2013-06-13 5:42 PM (#5269 - in reply to #5186)

I started the first Hyperion today.

Most recently I finished This Immortal by Zelazny. So far as Zelazny goes, this in my opinion was one of his weaker books, slow and plodding and not particularly interesting until the last 80 or so pages. I am dumbfounded as to how this book tied with Dune for the Hugo in 1966. Dune is far and away a better book, and This Immortal doesn't come anywhere near being even in the same league as Dune.

This is not to disparage Zelazny. Lord of Light is on my top 5 favorite sci fi books of all time list, certainly. But This Immortal? Not even on my top 100.
Scott Laz
Posted 2013-06-13 6:25 PM (#5270 - in reply to #5186)

Uber User

Finished Pangborn's A Mirror for Observers. On to David Lindsay's Voyage to Arcturus (next in the historical fantasy tour), and the March 1953 issue of Galaxy. Also listening to the audiobook of James S. A. Corey's Caliban's War, greatly relieving the tedium of yard work.

@dusty: I hope your recovery is quick! (I hated Card's Seventh Son, because it reminded me of the Utah History class I had to take in 7th grade!)
DrNefario
Posted 2013-06-15 4:24 PM (#5276 - in reply to #5186)

Uber User

I finished Redemption in Indigo pretty quickly. It's short, and easy to read. I liked it, but it.'s not really sticking with me.

I then moved on to Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm, which I've just finished and liked a lot. The first part was probably the weakest. I liked the way the changes in the culture of the community were shown.

That leaves me with just one Hugo winner to read: Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny, which I will be starting imminently.

I've also read a bit of crime to keep things varied.
ArchangelAlan
Posted 2013-06-15 4:46 PM (#5277 - in reply to #5186)

Dr. Nefario, I wish I could read Lord of Light again for the first time. You are in for an adventure.
Badseedgirl
Posted 2013-06-15 8:03 PM (#5278 - in reply to #5186)

Uber User

I had to take a break from the zombies because the library informed me I was next on the list For Charlaine Harris' "Dead Ever After". I just finished it and will post a review when it is on the web site (Please note Powers-That-Be That this is NOT a hint to add it. I know you have your hands full with the WOGF challenge, so whenever is fine!), so now it is back to the walking dead!
DrNefario
Posted 2013-06-25 7:53 AM (#5350 - in reply to #5186)

Uber User

Finished Lord of Light, and completed the Hugo winners!

Great book to finish on.
Administrator
Posted 2013-06-25 8:24 AM (#5351 - in reply to #5350)

Admin

DrNefario - 2013-06-25 7:53 AM Finished Lord of Light, and completed the Hugo winners! Great book to finish on.

Congrats on finishing the Hugo Winners!  That solid green bar looks mighty fine on the stats page.  Do you have a new goal in mind?

justifiedsinner
Posted 2013-06-25 10:27 AM (#5352 - in reply to #5186)

Uber User

Actually for us non-sysadmin types the solid bar is blue.
mellyn
Posted 2013-06-25 10:33 AM (#5353 - in reply to #5352)

But when comparing to someone else's, your own is blue and the other person's is green
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)